Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 PM

35 posts, read 185,697 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

Me and my mother will be visiting New Orleans in mid-february to help rebuild the city, specifically the 9th ward. I am wondering what the weather is like in February in New Orleans. Is it cold or warm. I live in Massachusetts where it's really cold so i want to get away, and hopefully it's warm when we are there.

That is my first question. My second question regards safety. Is it safe in the 9th ward? I read in another thread on the forum that there is a lot of violence and crime. Is it true?

Thank you so much for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,300 times
typically the Louisiana weather is very mild. On occasion though, the temperature will dip to the 30-20 range, but because of the humidity here, it can be downright unpleasant. Usually by February though it is warming up to springtime levels 50 and above. Doesnt stay cold here for very long.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,827 times
Isn't that the truth. It's predicted to be 70 today and 76 tomorrow around here. That'll beat that week-long cold streak that we just had (it was 53 yesterday and 49 the day before).

To ukwoman: So where would you be staying exactly? In the Ninth Ward? Or are you just going to be working there and stay somewhere else? That could make a difference.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:56 PM

I believe that i will be staying and working in the ninth ward. Is that a bad thing?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:57 PM

I'm hoping for temperatures in 70's, but i'll take what i can get. anything's better than what it is like here now.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:45 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,434 times
I've heard from my friend who lives in Metairie that the 9th ward had bad crime before Katrina, she said it was the murder capitol of the murder capital. She said it was wiped clean with the destruction during Katrina, so there's less crime now I gather. She said nobody wanted to go in the 9th ward before Katrina, much less after- these are her exact words. I've never been to New Orleans though.

Last edited by summer grace; 01-23-2009 at 06:57 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer grace View Post
I've heard from my friend who lives in Metairie that the 9th ward had bad crime before Katrina, she said it was the murder capitol of the murder capital. She said it was wiped clean with the destruction during Katrina, so there's less crime now I gather. She said nobody wanted to go in the 9th ward before Katrina, much less after- these are her exact words. I've never been to New Orleans though.
Thank you for the information.

Does anybody know anything about the crime situation in the 9th ward? Should I be worried about staying there?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:24 PM

97 posts, read 285,396 times
I personally would not stay there. I hope you and your mother do the same.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loralcb View Post
I personally would not stay there. I hope you and your mother do the same.
That might prove to be a problem because were are going with a group of people and we will all be staying at a church in the 9th ward. We won't be allowed to stay in another place.

Is it really that bad. What type of crime?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Its a percieved vs. real situation. The lower 9 is not the safest place in the city, but it isn't as bad as it's made to be. My advice would be to just be street smart and use common sense. We really need people who are willing to help rebuild. The main problem with the 9 post-K I believe is that the area is largely deserted making anything that happens easily unoticable. If you come just stay close to the group and act as you would in any other larger city except give off that "I'm afraid someone might rob me" look (it could instantly make you a target). The 9th Ward is not the best place but I think I'd rather stay there then some parts of Central City or the Iberville .

If you do decide to come, Good luck and be safe. Just realize that New Orleans is a city with a crime problem as well as many other problems and she is in the long process of trying to sort things out. It's like going through puberty 300 years too late. We really need people like you to come and help with the recovery process so I hope that nothing I said frightened you away.

Stay aware of your surroundings
Be vigilant
Use common sense
Make a difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans