U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:55 PM

59 posts, read 180,387 times

Advertisements

I am a Mississippian moving to New Orleans within a year. I would like to know how do New Orleanians feel about their "foreign" neighbors. I've been told by some people that when they had moved to Mississippi, they have been viewed as outsiders and did not feel welcomed. I hope this will not be the case with me. Please chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 PM

195 posts, read 1,000,655 times
You are so lucky to be moving there!! I've never been there ( am from the midwest), but I have a very close online friend from there and she says N. O is very friendly- she herself is testament to that, and indeed, if you read some other threads here they all say N. O is friendly. You are from Jackson, Miss, that's not so far away.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,391,266 times
You should be fine. Expect the culture shock. As long as you love the city and take it for what it is everything should be ok. Just remember that the experience you get from visiting is completely different from living here. To some you'll always be an outsider but that usually isn't a bad thing unless you constantly brag about your hometown or pretend to be a local right off the bat. Come on down, anyone who is willing to contribute something positive is welcome.

I lived in Jackson for a while after the flood and I have to admit I felt very much like an outsider. I met a handful of great people but I met many more that seemed to have never "been outside the box." I hear Jackson is going through a rebirth with plenty of development. I might just need to head up there one day.

summer grace, what is it gonna take to finally get you down here?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:32 AM

258 posts, read 940,353 times
I have a lot of friends that are native born and transplants (myself included) and we all get along fine.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 AM

59 posts, read 152,008 times
as a transplant i will say the locals are sweeties. come on down.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:09 AM

167 posts, read 780,789 times
My friend and I were just discussing this yesterday. Both of us are natives of south Louisiana, but after college moved to the Atlanta metro. Louisiana people are different than here. Even in NOLA and Baton Rouge, which are fairly big cities, there is still a cozy small town feel because of the people. Not that the people here are mean or unfriendly- but Louisiana folks will almost go out of their way to make you feel a sense of belonging. It is a certain pride, especially NOLA. If you read some of the other threads on here about those who are desperately trying to save their city, you can understand the pride thing. It is a special place. If you love it and embrace it as much as the natives do, you will immediately be adopted by your Lousiana neighbors.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
You should be fine. Expect the culture shock. As long as you love the city and take it for what it is everything should be ok. Just remember that the experience you get from visiting is completely different from living here. To some you'll always be an outsider but that usually isn't a bad thing unless you constantly brag about your hometown or pretend to be a local right off the bat. Come on down, anyone who is willing to contribute something positive is welcome.

I lived in Jackson for a while after the flood and I have to admit I felt very much like an outsider. I met a handful of great people but I met many more that seemed to have never "been outside the box." I hear Jackson is going through a rebirth with plenty of development. I might just need to head up there one day.

summer grace, what is it gonna take to finally get you down here?
I will get there eventually- I am usually there in my mind and heart. I met my online friend and she's my best friend now and then I started to get really attached to where she lives- New Orleans. I love the Gulf Coast so much now and spend much time looking at pictures. The friendliness just sounds nice.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:20 PM

59 posts, read 180,387 times
I pretty much knew that the residents of NOLA would be really freindly and welcoming. When I visited NOLA last year, they were so interested in me and where I came from. Out of all the places I have visited, I can honestly say that I felt like I was at home. I didn't want to leave. I actually ended up staying longer than I had originally planned. NOLA is like a drug. Once it gets in your system, you keep coming back for more. And I want MORE!!! I will be back to visit in March and I can't wait. My children are constantly asking me when are we coming back. They are so excited about us moving there. I guess you can say that I have NOLA on the brain! LOL!

Old 01-24-2009, 03:45 PM

I feel much the same way about NOLA, only I've never been there. Before I got to know my friend, I didn't give much thought to NOLA, since I am from the rural midwest. But then I got to know my friend, and became very fond of NOLA. I have post cards my friend sent me from the French Quarter showing the French Quarter just above my computer along with a real Mardi Gras cup ( or two) that my friend got from parades- Endymion, 2008, and the Krewe of Babylon. I also have Mardi Gras beads up there on my shelf. It's my way of keeping NOLA and my friend close to me.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:01 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,132,652 times
Being from Mississippi, the natives may feel the need to remind you to keep your shoes on, but otherwise we are very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or