U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 12:54 PM

42 posts, read 190,040 times

Advertisements

Hi - My husband is Dominican and hopefully will be in the US within about 5 months (we're waiting for his visa to go through). Are there any others here from the Dominican Republic? I'm hoping he can meet up with some fellow Dominicanos to help him with the transition to the USA. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 09:24 PM

258 posts, read 941,591 times
Stop by Cafe Bamboo on Esplande ave, that's a really diverse crowd.
It's a Vegetarian place and the people who dine there are come from all backgrounds and my friend owns it and he's got a lot of Dominican friends.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:58 AM

504 posts, read 1,446,760 times
He is better off going to Miami or in the Northeast from New York up to Boston.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miserylovesco. View Post
Stop by Cafe Bamboo on Esplande ave, that's a really diverse crowd.
It's a Vegetarian place and the people who dine there are come from all backgrounds and my friend owns it and he's got a lot of Dominican friends.
Great; thanks for the tip

Old 01-27-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
He is better off going to Miami or in the Northeast from New York up to Boston.

Well, since I live here, and he will too, that's probably not an option. I'm from the Northeast, and have no intention of going back.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,639,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emee34 View Post
Hi - My husband is Dominican and hopefully will be in the US within about 5 months (we're waiting for his visa to go through). Are there any others here from the Dominican Republic? I'm hoping he can meet up with some fellow Dominicanos to help him with the transition to the USA. Thanks!
That is so nice that you are looking out for him. I've got several relatives from other countries who talk about the culture shock and homesickness they experienced when they moved here.

My aunt was scared to death when she met her new in-laws. Apparently they met the train wearing no shoes and in her country that was a sign of abject poverty and well, skankyness. She thought she had made the biggest mistake of her life. She later learned that little cajun boys back in the day didn't run about with their shoes on, but that they did own shoes.

Anyways, its great that you are looking to support him and just be on the look out for those little cultural differences that could scare the heck out of him.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
That is so nice that you are looking out for him. I've got several relatives from other countries who talk about the culture shock and homesickness they experienced when they moved here.

My aunt was scared to death when she met her new in-laws. Apparently they met the train wearing no shoes and in her country that was a sign of abject poverty and well, skankyness. She thought she had made the biggest mistake of her life. She later learned that little cajun boys back in the day didn't run about with their shoes on, but that they did own shoes.

Anyways, its great that you are looking to support him and just be on the look out for those little cultural differences that could scare the heck out of him.
Thanks Drouzin....he means the world to me and I just want him to be happy when he gets here. Of course, we're happy together, but it always helps to have someone who can relate to your background and culture, and who speaks the language the same way (Dominican Spanish is different from Mexican, Cuban, etc.).

I'm sure there will be plenty of cultural surprises; some huge, some more subtle. I know he'll be fine and will adjust quickly, but I'll do whatever I can to to make it as smooth a transition as possible.

Thanks again

Old 02-03-2009, 03:25 PM

44 posts, read 184,269 times
There is a dominican restaurant on the Westbank close by to the Huey P. Long bridge called El Tipico.... Havent been yet but will be going... sometimes there is quite a big crowd...
On the weekends Chris Owens on Bourbon plays reggaeton, bachata, etc. and there are a lot of boricuas, dominicanos, (caribenos) there...

Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronilla View Post
There is a dominican restaurant on the Westbank close by to the Huey P. Long bridge called El Tipico.... Havent been yet but will be going... sometimes there is quite a big crowd...
On the weekends Chris Owens on Bourbon plays reggaeton, bachata, etc. and there are a lot of boricuas, dominicanos, (caribenos) there...

Thanks for the info; I didn't now there was a Dominican restaurant here, probably since its across the river.

And Chris Owens does reggaeton? Wow; I can't imagine. But thanks for the tip; we'll definitely check it out once he gets here.

Appreciate your help

Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM

431 posts, read 2,008,247 times
Holy smokes, I came onto the New Orleans forum trying to get some info on the Essence Music Festival and just general happenings in Nawlins. Had no idea there are a few of my fellow dominicanos out that way. Too cool. (smile).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or