U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 07:08 PM

24 posts, read 74,390 times

Advertisements

wow!!! I have been reading alot of news on nola and other websites and the crime in nola is out of control. Will i be safe even getting from a cab to my apartment? !@#$ will i be safe in the cab...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:21 PM

258 posts, read 951,453 times
You're moving to a city that's going through a huge crime streak right now.
Gotta be smart where you are living in this city.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 AM

126 posts, read 435,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwerl View Post
wow!!! I have been reading alot of news on nola and other websites and the crime in nola is out of control. Will i be safe even getting from a cab to my apartment? !@#$ will i be safe in the cab...
If it makes you feel better...every single category in crime dropped last year....several dropped over 10%. In spite of what you read and the drama that this board affords (much more than other boards on this subject), the reality is crime is on a downward trend in New Orleans. It just takes a few high profile crimes to make it seem like crime is occurring in every other block. That simply is not true. The early to mid 1990's saw a much more horrific spell of crime and likely was the low point for New Orleans when it comes to crime. Regarding crime stats--remember they are using census bureau estimates--an organization that just recently admitted they undercounted New Orleans by 50,000 people in 2007 and raised the population total. These things skew stats in an unreal way.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:48 PM

127 posts, read 468,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwerl View Post

Same here. I'm not trying to put my family in danger. NOLA isn't worth THAT much to me. Still deciding though.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:07 PM

The quarter is hands down the coolest neighborhood ive been in the country. I'd like nothing more to live there and EAT there. The food alone might be worth the risk. If anyone has any leads on a barbacking job in the quarter or surounding areas id appreciate a heads up? also are there any monthly/weekly rental places in the quarter?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:55 AM

12 posts, read 71,438 times
Yes you can get monthly rentals in the quarters but it was high before Katrina, and I'm certian its higher after Katrina. Quite a few poeple do manage but be prepared to get a small place for high rent at the cheepest, and some have roommates. Check Craigs list for bar jobs, I check it often myself cause I'm strongly thinking about relocating back home, and there are always lots of restaurant work positions. The best thing is if you can is catch a bus or drive to New Orleans and spend a day checking out the quarter and look at for rent signs. Only thing I want to warn you about living in the quarters is that you better watch your activities, especially if you have a job making tips, because you are going to make friends and a lot of times after everyone gets off work, there are quite a few places open and its very easy to blow your money. Then on your days off you are going to want to party and next thing you know it you are broke, unless you have super strong discipline which I never had while in New Orleans. Other than that it shouldnt be hard to get a job in the Quaters, I wouldn't recommend living there on a restaurant job, mabye a professional job but not off of making tips because you will never really get ahead or will always be barely getting by while having a lot of fun until that gets old. Best wishes whatever you decide to do, and use 3Xs more common sense than you would at home if you choose to live in the quarters.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:32 PM

do you know of the name of places in the quarter...having a hard time finding any on craigslist.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 AM

22 posts, read 74,021 times
I don't know if bar-backing would bring in alot of money. For example, my roommate is a bartender and her bar-back's tips are 25% of her tip money for the night. I don't know if that is how it works everywhere. I think being a waiter would make better money.

A one bedroom in the 1/4 will run $700-1200/month. Keep in mind, this is the most popular/historic district of the city. Violent crime isn't too bad in the 1/4, but there are lots of beggars and pick-pockets attracted by the abundance tourists.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:50 AM

59 posts, read 153,426 times
also ask. i notice word of mouth from locals in shops of rent was cheaper than craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans