Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:18 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,471,922 times

Advertisements

... and as long as miseducation and drugs run rampant it will continue forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 PM

The carnage will continue everywhere...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/90626149.html
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/90705244.html
http://www.kpax.com/news/40-shooting...al-in-chicago/
http://projects.latimes.com/homicide...t/blog/page/1/
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/12/1575402/2-fatally-shot-outside-pembroke.html (broken link)

Old 04-12-2010, 08:18 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,347,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
... and as long as miseducation and drugs run rampant it will continue forever.
I'm glad you finally admitted it . And as long as savages rule the streets , it will continue to get worse .

Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,327,023 times
its affected me and my family bek we dont go there anymore.
signed
a former NO resident.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 PM

62 posts, read 182,303 times
It's so disturbing that a lot of these shootings are happening in daylight.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
I'm glad you finally admitted it . And as long as savages rule the streets , it will continue to get worse .
What are you talking about. I never denied that there was a problem. What I hate is when people take something that is already bad and run with it, which is usually the case when it comes to NOLA and has been in this thread.

I'm still trying to figure out why other cities get passes, but we don't. They should be just as scrutinized as we are. I honestly have gotten sick of these NOLA is so dangerous comments from people who have no idea of what daily life in this city is like.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:49 PM

62 posts, read 182,303 times

I do see your point somewhat. In fact, a gang-related shooting recently took place not too far from our apartment, in a quiet residential section of the SF Valley. L.A. is huge and the shootings take place all over, although most of them occur in Compton and other "bad" areas. The problem is it seems that NOLA has just as many or more murders (I would say shootings but I'm sure there are many more in each city that are never even reported) per day, and they all happen within a much smaller area.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 PM

The point that I keep trying to make is that the majority of the crime happens in the same areas over and over. New Orleans is a compact city with smaller/closer neighborhoods. 90% percent of the shootings have the same M.O. It's not like random people are being shot, killed, and thrown in the river in broad daylight; yet that is the image that is put out there. We aren't #1 for most dangerous or highest crime rate as people claim. Check the FBI lists. We do have the highest murder rate, and there's no excuse. Just like anywhere else random crime does occur and innocent people will be affected, but that's life anywhere.

As long as there is a lack of responsibility and accountability on the part of most citizens it will be this way.
As long as education is where it is it will be like this.
As long as Americans have an "us four and no more" mentality things won't change.
As long as we elect the same crooks....
As long as people ignore or run from it....
contd.

Now tell me that it's just a New Orleans problem.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 04-12-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 09:27 PM

194 posts, read 544,578 times
Quote:

I'm still trying to figure out why other cities get passes, but we don't. They should be just as scrutinized as we are. I honestly have gotten sick of these NOLA is so dangerous comments from people who have no idea of what daily life in this city is like.
I honestly wouldn't dream about repeatedly making negative posts on another city's forum, especially a city I've rarely or never been to. For one thing, I have better things to do with my time.

As for those who actually live here - do something besides b*tch and moan or hurry up and move away! Everyone I've met here (in person) so far WANTS to be here, whether they grew up here or moved from somewhere else. I've never been to another place whose residents were so fiercely in love with their home. There are FAR more good people here than bad people (even in the high-crime areas). Unfortunately, it only takes a few bad ones (plus the media) to alter the way outsiders look at the whole city.

The fact is that daily life here is amazing, as long as you stay out of a few key areas, which isn't hard to do. My husband and I came here to enjoy New Orleans, but also to help. We've already joined one volunteer organization, and plan to make our voices heard by attending city council meetings and keeping up with what city officials are doing. I'll write dozens of letters a week if I have to, and I'll encourage people in our neighborhood to do it, too. If the "whiners" did those things, the city's crime problem would already be gone.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:34 PM

194 posts, read 544,578 times
Quote:
It's not like random people are being shot, killed, and thrown in the river in broad daylight; yet that is the image that is put out there.
Exactly! That doesn't make the crime "okay", but it does mean - at least to me - that good people who want to make a difference should NOT be afraid to move here (or visit) and help change things for the better! You're just as safe as any other city if you use common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans