Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 01:26 AM

8 posts, read 23,213 times

Advertisements

I'll be in New Orleans for a weekend for a job interview. I'll be staying at the Intercontinental Hotel on St Charles Street. Should I rent a cab ($28 one way) use a shuttle ($15 one way) or rent a car ($25 a day)? I'm bad with directions but I just got a gps app. on my cell phone. Is traveling by car in New Orleans very hard to do? I may want to check out some apartments in the area before and after the job interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM

530 posts, read 2,617,437 times
If you are not familiar with the city, I probably wouldn't rent a car. Because of the River, most streets are not your typical North,South,East, West. Also, neighborhoods can change VERY quickly block by block, you do not want to end up in a bad part of town. Familiarize yourself with the area and then get recommendations on where to go. Good Luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
I hate shuttles b/c they stop so many places and it takes forever to get to "your" hotel. It's certainly cheaper. I agree with Micktooth about not reanting a car. One wrong turn and you could be in a crime-ridden section - GPS units don't account for that.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 PM

31 posts, read 172,675 times
Here is a contact that is very reliable in New Orleans, that picks up our family member all the time who flys in and out 3-5 x a year. We are very comfortable with him and he is very dependable. We use him when we visit every year too. His name is Hassan, Sahara Trans Inc. (504) 259-6877 he is the owner and will not stear you wrong. Usually $28 plus tip to Uptown section on St.Charles.

He will pick you up to and from, give him 24 hour notice.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,699,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I hate shuttles b/c they stop so many places and it takes forever to get to "your" hotel. It's certainly cheaper. I agree with Micktooth about not reanting a car. One wrong turn and you could be in a crime-ridden section - GPS units don't account for that.
Moderator cut: edited inappropriate comment Driving in New Orleans is a piece of cake, and you are very unlikely to turn into a "crime-ridden section" between the airport and your downtown hotel. You won't need a car if you are staying downtown/french quarter. If you want to explore get a car and use your gps.

Last edited by leorah; 01-21-2009 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: civility please!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
If the OP is out driving around the city and turns off St. Charles at the wrong spot, they certainly could get into trouble. The point of the car was to maybe "check out some apartments." I was born there, lived most of my life there, and I would not go driving around with only a GPS to guide me.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,699,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If the OP is out driving around the city and turns off St. Charles at the wrong spot, they certainly could get into trouble. The point of the car was to maybe "check out some apartments." I was born there, lived most of my life there, and I would not go driving around with only a GPS to guide me.
I still live there (in New Orleans, off St. Charles Avenue, not in Metairie) and any wrong turn you take, you will know immediately, and can easily maneuver out of. Moderator cut: edited inappropriate comment

Last edited by leorah; 01-21-2009 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: no need to take this conversation in that direction

Old 02-10-2009, 04:52 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,908,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I still live there (in New Orleans, off St. Charles Avenue, not in Metairie) and any wrong turn you take, you will know immediately, and can easily maneuver out of. Moderator cut: edited inappropriate comment
Do you mean "a wrong turn" as in a bad area?! I thought this neighborhood was very decent. Everybody recommends it. I'll be staying at the same hotel.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:01 PM

177 posts, read 789,814 times
The Intercontinental is in the business district which is not a bad area at all. The comments about a wrong turn (into a bad neighborhood) were in reference to renting a car to check out some apartments. There are certainly areas to avoid but if you keep to the main streets (St. Charles, Magazine, Prytania, Tchoupitoulas, etc. you should be fine even in a rental car. I would just suggest you ask the concierge about particular addresses if you are concerned about being in a bad neighborhood. If you notice yourself getting nervous driving through a neighborhood you probably wouldn't want to be in an apartment there anyway so just turn around and go back the way you came.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,908,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
The Intercontinental is in the business district which is not a bad area at all. The comments about a wrong turn (into a bad neighborhood) were in reference to renting a car to check out some apartments. There are certainly areas to avoid but if you keep to the main streets (St. Charles, Magazine, Prytania, Tchoupitoulas, etc. you should be fine even in a rental car. I would just suggest you ask the concierge about particular addresses if you are concerned about being in a bad neighborhood. If you notice yourself getting nervous driving through a neighborhood you probably wouldn't want to be in an apartment there anyway so just turn around and go back the way you came.
Oh, OK. Yeah, I thought this area should be nice (saw plenty of consistently good reviews), even though I remember reading about an expensive hotel in San Francisco and people were giving advice which side to approach it from... good grief! Some cities are sketchy... While Tucson has well defined large bad areas for the most part, in many places the ambience changes from block to block. I remember taking literally a few steps off the beaten path in Seattle and we got into some dangerous neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans