U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM

42,835 posts, read 81,170,647 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm a lot better informed a few hours later! Got a book, too!

As luck would have it, one parade will go alongside my hotel before I'm checked-in (unless they're gracious or able to get me in earlier) and the next one (major according to you guys) Krewe of Endymion starts right after I check in, but it doesn't go along Charles St. Oh, well, that's fine - I'll just go to Canal St.

Sunday & Monday, though, all the action is gonna be right under my nose! The only questionable parade is the Zulu. I still haven't explored the maps enough and since this parade goes somewhere around Charles St, but not alongside it like the others, I can't tell if it proceeds in front of Intercontinental hotel or not... Can anybody shed some light on this, pretty puleeze?

Oh, and what else is going on in the afternoon of the last day...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:53 PM

126 posts, read 430,758 times
You are going to have a blast. I promise. I take vacation every year and will be at St. Charles and Foucher the entire time grilling, drinking, eating crawfish, and partying it up the entire time with friends and family. On Bacchus Sunday we have over 200 at our party on the avenue. And, yes, all of the parades in the City of New Orleans pass in front of the Intercontinental Hotel.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 PM

Here are some pics to get you ready!

Bourbon St. at Mardi Gras:

Some parade pics:

Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 PM

177 posts, read 740,388 times
Endymion does go down St. Charles. Check the map here. It passes right in front of the Intercontinental. So does Zulu. There are stands constructed right in front of the hotel so getting a good spot will take patience (unless you pay to get into the stands) because there are so many people right there.

If you get there before check-in, you should still be able to drop your luggage and use the hotel services (i.e., potty) and use it as a "base".

On Mardi Gras day, after the parades have passed, you can always walk a few blocks to the French Quarter but be aware it will be extremely crowded and it gets worse as the day wears on. If you want to get somewhere specific (in a reasonable amount of time), use the streets a block off of Bourbon to the exact spot you want to go.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
And, yes, all of the parades in the City of New Orleans pass in front of the Intercontinental Hotel.
Mmm... it seems like it's most, but not all... Looks like this one doesn't - Krewe of Endymion... 2009 Mardi Gras Krewe List and Photographs in New Orleans Mardi Gras Parade Schedule.com 2009 That's why I asked about the Zulu. Oh, well, I'll definitely get my fill of parades for a lifetime! I think this location is certainly worth the extra bucks! Wish I'd planned it earlier, though, so I had more time to read about them and know what they're about. I'm kinda in a rush right now...

Thanks. You have a great time, too! I've been meaning to go to New Orleans for a long time and now hitting Mardi Gras as well and doing it in style is just great!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Mmm... it seems like it's most, but not all... Looks like this one doesn't - Krewe of Endymion... 2009 Mardi Gras Krewe List and Photographs in New Orleans Mardi Gras Parade Schedule.com 2009 That's why I asked about the Zulu. Oh, well, I'll definitely get my fill of parades for a lifetime! I think this location is certainly worth the extra bucks! Wish I'd planned it earlier, though, so I had more time to read about them and know what they're about. I'm kinda in a rush right now...

Thanks. You have a great time, too! I've been meaning to go to New Orleans for a long time and now hitting Mardi Gras as well and doing it in style is just great!
Endymion passes in front of the Intercontinental. It just goes the opposite direction as the others. All New Orleans East Bank parades pass in front of the Intercontinental. You've got a great time ahead of you and you will NEVER forget Mardi Gras. It will be the most fun you've ever had in your life. I can guarantee that much for sure......

Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 PM

Not sure how long you will be in town, but, it is worth your while to catch some of the parades Uptown on St. Charles Ave. with the locals. It will add even more to your experience. The only day I go Downtown during the entire Mardi Gras is on Fat Tuesday. We walk Royal St. and do parades Downtown, as well. And just remember this--Mardi Gras is a spirit.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Here are some pics to get you ready!

Bourbon St. at Mardi Gras:
Man, I hope it's less busy as some claim! After living in AZ for some many years I'm not sure I can handle this many people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
Endymion does go down St. Charles. Check the map here. It passes right in front of the Intercontinental. So does Zulu. There are stands constructed right in front of the hotel so getting a good spot will take patience (unless you pay to get into the stands) because there are so many people right there.

If you get there before check-in, you should still be able to drop your luggage and use the hotel services (i.e., potty) and use it as a "base".

On Mardi Gras day, after the parades have passed, you can always walk a few blocks to the French Quarter but be aware it will be extremely crowded and it gets worse as the day wears on. If you want to get somewhere specific (in a reasonable amount of time), use the streets a block off of Bourbon to the exact spot you want to go.
OK, guys, I'll take your word for it, even though I can't see Charles St. even on this map... but you know from experience! Yeah, I think I'd be able to drop my baggage even if they can't give me a room earlier, even though things are weird these days as far as keeping somebody else's belongings goes... I specifically booked a room with a balcony, so I'm hoping to watch the action in the comfort and safety of my own enclave for the most part, but of course I'll have to do some mingling as well! Why would I be there otherwise?!

Thank you, guys! Looking forward to checking out your fun city!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Endymion passes in front of the Intercontinental. It just goes the opposite direction as the others. All New Orleans East Bank parades pass in front of the Intercontinental.
Yey!

Quote:
You've got a great time ahead of you and you will NEVER forget Mardi Gras. It will be the most fun you've ever had in your life. I can guarantee that much for sure......
After much deliberation what kind of a vacation I feel like taking I ended up with a crazy one! I was meaning to go to New Orleans in '04 and then I got married and other stuff came up... Then Katrina hit and I thought it'd never be the same. It's been a while now and besides the French Quarter was never destroyed, so I was considering a visit later this year, but yesterday checked to see when Mardi Gras is and it turned out to be this month. I've always thought one should go once either to Mardi Gras or to the carnival in Rio. These are once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Rio is one of the most dangerous cities in the world, though, not to mention Brazil requires visas and now that I'm alone I don't think I have the guts to go there during the carnival. Mardi Gras seems to be a little tamer version of it and I'd feel more comfortable here than in a foreign country not speaking the language.

The only problem is I normally like planning things well in advance as planning and anticipation are a big part of the fun and you're excited for months. Now I don't even have time for enough research and I don't know much about NO. I guess I'll have to make it through the rest of the year on memories alone because my beach vacation will be most likely taken by the community pool considering how pricey this one is. I wanted to do it right, though - on the best street where the parades go on and with a balcony overlooking them!

So folks, Sierra's going wiiiiiild!

Quote:
Not sure how long you will be in town, but, it is worth your while to catch some of the parades Uptown on St. Charles Ave. with the locals. It will add even more to your experience. The only day I go Downtown during the entire Mardi Gras is on Fat Tuesday. We walk Royal St. and do parades Downtown, as well. And just remember this--Mardi Gras is a spirit.
Oh, sure... I'm not gonna stay in my room all day. It's not the best time of the year for other sightseeing, but since a week-long stay turned out to be less expensive that shorter ones and I have the time off, I'll be staying a week. Now I should go and speed-read my book!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 PM

Mardi Gras is very friendly. You'll be talking to people and when you meet locals feel free to ask them for any recommendations. And while you are here you will be doing Mardi Gras. You won't be doing many of the normal tourist stuff during Mardi Gras. That will be for another time and another trip to New Orleans. You may get to eat at a nice restaurant in the French Quarter but, you'll mostly be doing parades and fun stuff. Read this as much as you can: Arthur Hardy's Mardi Gras Guide In particular read "History of Mardi Gras," and "Mardi Gras Q & A," and you will be coming equipped enough with knowledge to know and understand Mardi Gras. Remember you see parades and catch beads, but, the most important thing to know is that Mardi Gras is a spirit, as I said in another post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans