Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,297 times

Advertisements

Hi; there's a good change of getting transferred to New Orleans from Houston in the next 3-6 months.

Have 4 teenagers ages 12-17.

What are the best areas to live in and public schools?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 PM

5 posts, read 20,370 times
I would suggest that you go to NOLA.com, that is the website for the New Orleans Times Picayune newspaper. There are forum boards that may be of interest to you. My daughter lives near Lake Pontchartrain near Lakeshore Drive. It's very safe and have security that rides all day long. There is still a lot of rebuilding going on all over New Orleans where flooding occurred from Katrina. Living on the coast of Louisiana is always worrisome when hurricane season rolls around. Before locating any where on our coast, you might want to find out the prices of home insurance in that area. Having flood insurance is a wise idea also. If you live near water, it is the wise thing to do...Homeowner insurance deductibles for wind and hail have risen ungodly in the last 2-3 years. Mine is $6,200, before claims are paid. Hurricane Gustave brought $18,000 of wind damage... I don't mean to be so negative, but it would be best to research***, research**** the area you will choose before coming to our area. We are resilient people who have learned to pick yourself up and get it done. I am from CAJUN country, in the area of Nicholls State University. It's a very nice area to live in. It's about 35-40 minutes from New Orleans, many drive to work in New Orleans from our area. Check us out on the internet. Cajun people also have very large community of families that were exiled from
Acadie, Canada. They were distributed in many states. Most were brought to Louisiana and scattered into southern parishes and started their own little Acadie communities. They were were fishermen, farmers, etc. They were proud and determined to make a safe life for their families. Surnames in this area are Cheramie, Guidry, which is my family names, Bourgeois, Chiasson, Duet, Adams, Curole and on and on. Outsiders are not sure how to pronounce these french canadian names. New Orleans is really not Cajun Country. The Bayou communities are considered cajun people. New Orleans is considered the jambalaya pot, because of the different ethnic people who came to Louisiana, just a little of everything. I don't mind being called a Cajun Coonass. As a matter of fact, there are magnets that people place on vehicles that read Registered Coonass and of course the fleur de lis symbol for Louisiana. Cajun french is spoken in my community, but mostly the older generation. I was raised next door to my grandparents, who spoke strictly french. As the older generation are passing on i seem to speak less french and it is harder to converse when i need to. I do love to answer my phone saying Bon Jour. For anyone who is interested in learning cajun french there is a book- Conversational Cajun French 1. It is by Randall Whatley and Harry Janise. It's an easy and delightful book.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:32 PM

15 posts, read 114,388 times
I live in Metairie in Jefferson Parish adjacent to New Orleans. Unfortunately very few public schools in Orleans Parish are up to standards in regard to safety etc. Most have to choose Catholic or other private schools. Jefferson Parish has some excellent to fair schools most of the better ones are in the 70001-5 zip codes 70003 has some middle class homes ( me ) as well as some multifamily and upscale. Crime rate is low and you are about 10 15 min from downtown.

My brother lives in Lake Veiw and Honey is correct its reasonably safe and I have no fear visting him. Property values in this area are among the highest in New Orleans with exception of the older areas uptown. New Orleans east is more suburban and bargains can be had on some the properties.

NOLA.com has link to FEMA flood maps which help determine flood risk, hint stay away from areas pink or red.

Come visit there is no way to describe the people and culture and I miss it when I'm away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans