U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:45 PM

42,835 posts, read 83,723,503 times

Advertisements

Can you really get gator on a stick in the Historic French Market?

Also, I keep reading about being able to have crawfish "in season"... When is the season? I've an inkling it wouldn't be in the winter...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 02:40 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,197,723 times
You can get Chinese crawfish frozen in a bag at Wal-Mart all year long. I haven't had that gator on a stick, but nothing surprises me, so I guess you can.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:21 PM

19,857 posts, read 61,770,733 times
High season for locally grown crawfish is APril-May. That's when they're cheapest. I've never dseen gator on a stick but I've eaten fried alligator tails and alligator sauce piquante. Both very good. Alligator has to be cooked slowly or else it's very chewy.

When my mother was little, no one ever admitted they ate alligator b/c it meant they were too poor to buy meat and had to go shoot it. When alligator suddenly became all the rage, she laughed herself silly.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
High season for locally grown crawfish is APril-May. That's when they're cheapest. I've never dseen gator on a stick but I've eaten fried alligator tails and alligator sauce piquante. Both very good. Alligator has to be cooked slowly or else it's very chewy.
Yeah... I thought it's probably not a good time... Is it at least a good time to see the gaters and other animals on the swamp tours? I probably won't have time for one, but I always wanna know as much as possible just in case!

Once I was in Puerto Vallarta and the best shrimp ever was the shrimp on sticks some guy was selling on the beach. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a gator on a stick, too!

Quote:
When my mother was little, no one ever admitted they ate alligator b/c it meant they were too poor to buy meat and had to go shoot it. When alligator suddenly became all the rage, she laughed herself silly.
Ha-ha, funny!

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Oh, yeah, the gators do hibernate...That's too bad.

Yes, Gators hibernate during the cold winter months, but lay on the bayou banks on warmer days. So even in Winter, our native Captains can sometimes find a sunning Gator on our tour.

New Orleans Swamp Tour By Tour Boat with Hotel Pick up

I should come again. I wish I had before the idiotic smoking bans... Must've been a blast in the past!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:31 PM

177 posts, read 756,437 times
Sierra, I just walked past a mardi-gras vendor this evening on the way home from work and I think I saw gator-on-a-stick on their sign. Look at the portable stand on the same side as St. Charles and the opposite side of Poydras from the Intercontinental.

I can't speak to the quality, etc. but last year I got shrimp on a stick from one of these vendors and it was very tasty.

You CAN get crawfish right now but they're rather expensive. I just checked yesterday at one seafood store and they had them for $4.49 / lb boiled.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 PM

126 posts, read 443,040 times
Alligators don't like cold, but, they'll be coming out soon. My cousin has a few in the bayou behind her house and enjoys watching them when it is warm. They swim and sunbathe. It is relaxing reading the paper in her backyard and watching the gators. As for as eating gator, it isn't my favorite, but, I do enjoy alligator sausage. BTW, last time I checked you could get gator on a stick in the French Market. It is alligator sausage.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
Sierra, I just walked past a mardi-gras vendor this evening on the way home from work and I think I saw gator-on-a-stick on their sign. Look at the portable stand on the same side as St. Charles and the opposite side of Poydras from the Intercontinental.

I can't speak to the quality, etc. but last year I got shrimp on a stick from one of these vendors and it was very tasty.
Yey, I'll get my gator on a stick!

Quote:
You CAN get crawfish right now but they're rather expensive. I just checked yesterday at one seafood store and they had them for $4.49 / lb boiled.
Oh, well, we all splurge on vacation. I have a pretty conservative and simple palette (a palette of a 5-year-old to be honest ), but I intend to try turtle soup, too, even if I only sniff it and leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
Alligators don't like cold, but, they'll be coming out soon. My cousin has a few in the bayou behind her house and enjoys watching them when it is warm. They swim and sunbathe. It is relaxing reading the paper in her backyard and watching the gators.
OMG, aren't they dangerous?! We do lizard-watching; you guys do gator-watching! Our lizards are harmless, though. They do push-ups! Since the gators are pretty much gigantic lizards, I wonder if they do push-ups, too...

Quote:
As for as eating gator, it isn't my favorite, but, I do enjoy alligator sausage. BTW, last time I checked you could get gator on a stick in the French Market. It is alligator sausage.
Even if it's not good it's worth a try! The one time I had ostrich, had I not known I ordered that I would've thought it were beef... I read gator could be found in the FQ, but now I got more hunting grounds!

Thanks, guys! Hey, only a few days left! Fix that weather for me, will ya!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 PM

772 posts, read 4,197,896 times
Mmmmmm... gator on a stick! Love it! Sorry, just had to comment when I saw the thread title.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Mmmmmm... gator on a stick! Love it! Sorry, just had to comment when I saw the thread title.
That's OK. All the more a reason to hunt the gator! Since it's by the hotel, I may end up eating lots of gator, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans