Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:35 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,285 times

Advertisements

Are there jobs? What kinds? I see the rent has skyrocketed since "the thing."
So am I nuts for wanting to move there?

Old 03-19-2007, 03:57 PM

42 posts, read 250,315 times
Yes. Everything has gone up- rent, groceries and the murder rate. As for jobs you may want to visit a local webite and see what the pikin's are in the classified section.. www.nola.com. Accoring to my brother that lives there in a FEMA trailer most of the jobs are in hospitality/restaurants and of course consrtuction. Maybe you'll also have success if you have a profession that you can go anywhwere and get a job like the medical field, but even this field has suffered as the local hospitals took a big hit. Why would you want to move there? I can't forsee myself moving back there and I'm a native.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:13 PM

595 posts, read 2,343,493 times
I am trying to make the move myself. Of course I'm pretty politically minded and if people don't take the risk (I'm not security minded...I'm open to the risk).

Old 03-19-2007, 05:46 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,285 times
Why would I want to move there? I've always been in love with it. I have visited many times, staying with friends outside of the FQ. I can't really describe why I love it so much, I guess it's just got this whole attitude that whatever you are, whoever you are, it's OK. I love the culture, the music, the food, I like the weather, I like the architecture. I have done a lot of research and realize how dangerous it is, but I have friends that live there and have never had any problems whatsoever.
I won't move there without a job, and maybe just temporarily and bartend just to see if I could live there permanently. I realize it has its problems. But every time I've gone there, pre-K and post-K, I've felt like I just went home. A feeling of home I've never gotten anywhere else, even where I grew up.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 PM

I think as long as you don't have an unrealistic expectation of what New Orleans really is, it can be a good thing.

That said if you move, get involved. Pick up trash, volunteer, neighborhood watch. =)
I love New Orleans too

Old 03-20-2007, 11:16 AM

530 posts, read 2,624,745 times
I applaud the 2 of you for your commitment to New Orleans. My family and I had to move from NOLA after Katrina. The area needs more people like you! Yes, you have to be careful, but you have to do that in any city. It will be tough, New Orleans is set in it's ways and does not accept change very readily however, with your attitudes, you will be successful and hopefully the area will eventually recover. Good luck and thank you!

Old 03-25-2007, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,715 times
Electric Lady, if you're crazy, then I'm crazy, too!

Just got back from a few days in NOLA. My daughter is planning to go to law school there; my son who graduated from LSU last year is planning to move back; so I'm planning to move back myself!

My friends who still live there are exhausted--it's a tough place to live given that it can take weeks to get a plumber, etc.--and many are still trying to recover from the hurricane damage. More than that, they're frustrated that the political leaders are still all talk and little or no action.

ALL THE MORE REASON I want to be there. I feel like those of us who love the city, and still have some energy left in us, are obligated to go back, roll up the shirtsleeves, and get to work! I've traveled all around the world, and lived in some of the most progressive areas of the country. I may be the Eternal Optimist, but I still have high hopes for New Orleans!

Old 03-25-2007, 12:44 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTiger4LSU View Post
Electric Lady, if you're crazy, then I'm crazy, too!

Just got back from a few days in NOLA. My daughter is planning to go to law school there; my son who graduated from LSU last year is planning to move back; so I'm planning to move back myself!

My friends who still live there are exhausted--it's a tough place to live given that it can take weeks to get a plumber, etc.--and many are still trying to recover from the hurricane damage. More than that, they're frustrated that the political leaders are still all talk and little or no action.

ALL THE MORE REASON I want to be there. I feel like those of us who love the city, and still have some energy left in us, are obligated to go back, roll up the shirtsleeves, and get to work! I've traveled all around the world, and lived in some of the most progressive areas of the country. I may be the Eternal Optimist, but I still have high hopes for New Orleans!
Lock and Load and Plow the Way..
Best of luck to all...

Old 03-25-2007, 07:17 PM

I just got back from NOLA. Had 3 interviews Friday which all went well.

I stayed with a friend in a semi sketchy area (but isn't 99% of New Orleans semi sketchy).

All I can say if the CoE needs to keep the water out and I'll help take care of the rest. Love New Orleans.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:02 PM

122 posts, read 790,401 times
You're not crazy for wanting to go there. I lived there for two months last summer (be sure to check out the Green Project and, within it, the Green Room, which is a new art gallery/community space that my friends and I built when we lived there!). NOLA is a gem of a place, and there's no other place like it in this world (maybe Marseilles comes close?? Dunno!).

Like another poster said, the bar/restaurant/retail jobs are more plentiful down there. I don't know if this is still true, but when I was there McDonald's was paying $10/hr. That's how badly some places need employees. So...if you're young and have no long-term career goals to fulfill, that might be good. I think it might take a while for the rest.

I think NOLA is badly in need of teachers (and probably non-profit therapists/psychiatrists if such titles exists), in addition to the rebuilding of more tangible things.

Whatever you do, I beg of you, please please please contribute to the rebuiding effort. Tax dollars aren't enough. Volunteer a couple hours a week or something. The city needs it badly, and plus you won't be like some people who move to NOLA to take advantage of comparitively cheaper housing and 'cause it makes them cool!

And good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans