U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,186 times

Advertisements

Im moving to New Orleans for a job in a week!

I am a single female and plan to live alone. I am an outgoing freindly person who likes to go out and eat good food!

But I am concerned about finding a safe place to live.

I was convinced I want to live in the French Quarter for all the above reasons and also to make sure I am safe. Although, my company just offered me housing in the Kenner area for 600$/mo!

I know Kenner is a suburb of NO but

1) Is it safe?
2) Is there anything to do there? and
3) How far is it from downtown/frenchquarter?

4) If I dont live in downtown, and go to French Quarter....is there parking there? is that something do-able?

5) Any more tips on how to have a great time in NO while keeping it safe?

Im 23 years old and very excited yet anxious moving there...please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 01:46 PM

16 posts, read 47,359 times
I currently live in Kenner and feel very safe here, although admittedly my husband and I live in a gated apartment complex. There, isn't, however (in my opinion) a lot going on out here ... it basically is suburbia. It's probably about 15 miles to the French Quarter, but depending on the time of day that could easily take 45 minutes. There is street parking in there, but it can be a challenge to find ... when I go I generally park in a paid lot, and never have a problem finding a spot. You may also want to check out Uptown ... there are some nice areas off of Magazine Street which are close to shops/restaurants etc. It's still urban but less touristy than the French Quarter. Where are you going to be working? Traffic can be nutty here during rush hour so it's something you might want to think about when choosing a place to live. Enjoy the move!

Old 03-20-2007, 03:29 PM

12 posts, read 43,538 times
Just as another voice to echo, Kenner is, for the most part, safe. As far as things to do? Other than caring for your basic neccessities (groceries, shopping, etc.), Kenner really doesn't have a tremendous amount to offer, entertainment and night-life speaking. It's suburban, but still close enough to the city to get there in a reasonable amount of time.

I lived in Harahan when I lived in an apt, close to the Earhart Expressway. I loved how convenient it was to everything, and yet it was still safe and close to daily needs, as well as fun weekend activities. You might want to check out there too.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:07 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,012,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_Clueless in NO View Post
Im moving to New Orleans for a job in a week!

I am a single female and plan to live alone. I am an outgoing freindly person who likes to go out and eat good food!

But I am concerned about finding a safe place to live.

I was convinced I want to live in the French Quarter for all the above reasons and also to make sure I am safe. Although, my company just offered me housing in the Kenner area for 600$/mo!

I know Kenner is a suburb of NO but

1) Is it safe?
2) Is there anything to do there? and
3) How far is it from downtown/frenchquarter?

4) If I dont live in downtown, and go to French Quarter....is there parking there? is that something do-able?

Im 23 years old and very excited yet anxious moving there...please help!
Word of advice: make sure that your place to live in Kenner is north of I-10, and you probably want to be north of Esplanade as well.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 AM

323 posts, read 1,022,823 times
depending on your money situation ... the garden district is very safe and beautiful. but it's also expensive.
i've heard good things about the bywater area, algiers and uptown. the french quarter and the warehouse district are expensive too.
i really like mid-city, around city park area, bayou st. john. not sure how safe it is, but it's right near the jazz fest fairgrounds, and i just think it's a cool area.
esplanade just outside of the quarter is beautiful too.
you should probably just put yourself up in a hostel or a hotel for the time being and drive around and explore the city (at both day and night) to see what seems safest to you.
as a young single female, (myself as well), i would say you'd want to be close to where the action is. not suburbia. you'll be in one of the greatest cities in america, you should try to live it up. check out www.craigslist.com for apartments. you can search for your own, or you can search just for rooms that someone is renting in their apartment, and you could have a roommate. that would cut costs.
where is your job located? and what kind of industry? maybe you'll want to live close to work.

good luck!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:22 AM

323 posts, read 1,022,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_Clueless in NO View Post
just be smart. don't walk alone at night. ask locals about where the sketchy neighborhoods are, and stay away. take a cab home from the bar. try not to wear fancy jewelry just out on the street.
i've never had a problem in NOLA, but it does have a lot of gang-related crime and muggings. try asking some of your co-workers to give you a little rundown on places to avoid and on keeping safe.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 PM

54 posts, read 266,379 times
I suggest coming down and checking things out before making a long term commitment on location. There are several areas of the city mentioned that you may find appealing, and each area has its own personality. You will be way out in the suburbs in Kenner. I expect that you would be bored there and need a car to get anywhere.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 PM

530 posts, read 2,463,161 times
I would agree with a previous poster to make sure that you are in North Kenner 70065 north of I-10. I lived in NO for 20 years until Katrina and I now live in beautiful Boulder,Co and it's so sad to see everyone posting about how to live safely. Good luck and be careful.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:30 PM

7 posts, read 18,978 times
Exclamation to emergency chick :)

if you only have ONE WEEK (!) how 'bout take the company housing offer in Kenner
then you can take your time getting to know the lay of the land.

Where is your job? Location might factor into your equation.

New Orleans is a strange place, you'll be in a better position to make neighborhood decisions once you're there.

good luck with your move and your new job!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:44 PM

53 posts, read 300,462 times
23 female and single? Not Kenner. I would stick to the Quarter, Bayou St. John area, or Carrollton. There are apartments available at fair prices in all of those locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or