Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times

Advertisements

I have never lived in New Orleans or Louisiana for that matter. I spent my younger years growing up in Mississippi, and it was not until I was in college that I realized how much I "liked" New Orleans. I made the trip down with roughly 20 of my closest friends for Mardi Gras, and we had only 2 hotel rooms for us all (remember your college budget? ). I spent the weekend there and it was one of the best times I will never remember. I do remember seeing a cop make two guys take their shirts off and wipe the urine that they had just left on a door and the sidewalk (and the looks of the faces of the two girls they were with ). But like I said, I knew then that I "liked" New Orleans. It was the best party I had ever been to.

It was not until I matured a little that I really started to appreciate New Orleans for what it was and not just what occurs there. I made some weekend trips with friends and attended a wedding at St. Patrick's Church. I did some venturing around New Orleans and not just the French Quarter. My girlfriend and I fell in love with the Garden District and walked up and down Magazine St, dipped in and out of shops, enjoyed the local food and drinks, and visited the Audubon Zoo.

Months later, we made another trip back down and to NOLA. We visited the Aquarium, shopped in the quarter, stopped at Cafe du Monde for some beignets and coffee, watched some street dancers, and looked at paintings that we wished to own one day. We ended the day by walking through Jackson Square and up to the "Steamer" monument overlooking the Mississippi River. It was there that I got down on one knee and popped the question and she said yes.

From then on, New Orleans was in both thick in my blood and hers. We even discussed moving to New Orleans and were leaning that way heavily until she was offered a job here in Jackson that she had been wanting for 2 years, so we decided to stay here. I love Jackson as well, so it is not too difficult of a decision, but New Orleans is still a close second.

Before the wedding, a group of my closest friends and I took a train from Jackson to New Orleans to enjoy one of my last nights as a bachelor. Needless to say, a great time was had by all. (If you're from Jackson or anywhere along the Amtrack stations through central Mississippi, I highly recommend the train trip )

Though we didn't make the move, our love affair with New Orleans is still strong as ever. We actually planned our honeymoon vacation to where our first night would be at the Garden District Bed & Breakfast on Magazine St before flying out the next morning for the Bahamas. Our stay in Nola was so relaxing and brought back memories of when we first walked the streets and visited the stores. The bed and breakfast was superb and we couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. We definitely will be making many more frequent trips down and maybe even take that big step one day and move there. From everything that we have experienced, I know we would not be disappointed.

I would also like to welcome any from New Orleans to visit us here in Jackson. We have some great restaurants with great food and entertainment here as well (not as much as New Orleans, but it's always nice to see/eat something different). There are a lot of projects going on right now and I'm excited to see where Jackson is going in the years to come.

Thank you New Orleans for the wonderful memories and for the experiences that will last a lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 11:47 AM

58 posts, read 199,626 times
I know exactly how you feel. I am from Jackson and have visited New Orleans several times. As a matter of fact, I was there on Fat Tuesday and will be there again next week kicking off spring break. I have a love affair with the city that is leaning more towards obsession everytime I visit. My kids love the city and are constantly asking me, "When are we going back?". I am graduating from Jackson State next May and have decided to move to New Orleans to attend grad school. If things go well, I would like to stay a while.

I have been to several cities; Memphis, Orlando, Chicago, and Milwaukee and none of them can compare to New Orleans. I felt like I was at home. Matter of fact, I felt more at home in New Orleans than in Jackson. Maybe because I'm not originally from Jackson. I'm from McComb. Or, maybe because many members of my family (going all the way back to my great great grandparents) are actually from New Orleans and the surrounding areas.

I love New Orleans and anyone who doesn't, have got to be absoulutly nuts!!!! There is no other place on earth that can compare. The history is rich and the soul of the people are beautiful. I look forward to visiting her everytime.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
The reason you feel at home in New Orleans more than Jackson is because the people of New Orleans "get it." This is not to say that people that live in Jackson don't get it, it just means that the large majority of the people who live in the Jackson suburbs don't "get it." It is not all their fault though, because the local media has done their hardest to make our capitol city seem as dilapidated and deserted as they possibly can. I love both Jackson and New Orleans, but I know that Jackson needs me right now. The perception has followed the propaganda, and it's not going to change without someone standing up for what Jackson really stands for. Yes, we have a crazy mayor and he does not represent our city well at all, but thankfully he will be gone in a few months, and hopefully our next mayor will care about his job as leader of Jackson and hold himself and those he appoints accountable for their actions/inactions.

It is nice having two cities that you love so close to one another. If I get stressed or overwhelmed, I can always make the short three hour drive down and regenerate my enthusiasm, optimism, and energy over the weekend.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Wow, If only more people could feel that way. I'm glad you had a chance to experience the city for what it really is and enjoy it.
I had the chance to stay in Jackson after the storm for a couple of years. It's a nice city and with the development projects moving forward there things should get better, but it's not for me.
I don't know if the people here "get it" though. Like Jackson, N.O. has bad streets, a crime problem, a fool/lunatic for mayor and is surrounded by suburbanites (not all of them) who wouldn't come within an inch of the city unless they just had too.

Congratulations MSvirgo and I hope you enjoy your stay in Louisiana.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
SO REFRESEHING TO HEAR POSITIVE THINGS ABOUT THE BEAUTIFUL CITY OF nEW ORLEANS! My husband got me to go there for vacation about 9 years ago and I loved it. The culture, the people everything..... we lived in south Florida at the time. We have since moved to Baton Rouge and have been here 4 years and go to New Orleans about every 3 months to get our fix. Like the OP said, htere is so much more than just crime and drinking! It is a really neat city with many things to offer. OP, you are awesome to put the city into such a great light and I could not agree with you more, it is a great place to visit and maybe live one day!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
What they said. We just had the good fortune to spend all of February and the first week of March there. We'd been before for a couple days, but this time it really felt like "home." We were lucky enough to see her in her carnival glory, tackiness and fun, and also at her calmer self afterwards.
It is the first ever city I can imagine putting down roots and settling in. We made new friends who are so special and dear to us, and it tore my heart out to leave.
I can be myself there, and I think while I was there, I started to find out who "myself" actually can be.
My partner needs more time I think, he stayed in "Australian" mode a bit, but he'll come around; he loves the place too, and can also imagine living there one day.
Southern LA is beautiful, and NOLA is the perfect jewelled crown to top a lovely, (if slightly beaten about) lady. She may be a bit tarnished, but you always know what you get!
We need a heart icon on here I think.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 PM

126 posts, read 471,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSvirgo View Post
I know exactly how you feel. I am from Jackson and have visited New Orleans several times. As a matter of fact, I was there on Fat Tuesday and will be there again next week kicking off spring break. I have a love affair with the city that is leaning more towards obsession everytime I visit. My kids love the city and are constantly asking me, "When are we going back?". I am graduating from Jackson State next May and have decided to move to New Orleans to attend grad school. If things go well, I would like to stay a while.

I have been to several cities; Memphis, Orlando, Chicago, and Milwaukee and none of them can compare to New Orleans. I felt like I was at home. Matter of fact, I felt more at home in New Orleans than in Jackson. Maybe because I'm not originally from Jackson. I'm from McComb. Or, maybe because many members of my family (going all the way back to my great great grandparents) are actually from New Orleans and the surrounding areas.

I love New Orleans and anyone who doesn't, have got to be absoulutly nuts!!!! There is no other place on earth that can compare. The history is rich and the soul of the people are beautiful. I look forward to visiting her everytime.
Well said. I'm blessed to be born here, but, if I had not been born here I would have found it---I'm quintessential New Orleans. I know it, live it, understand it, love it, and am it. Even though I live here, I know it's unique, special, and simply different. It's about attitude and the approach to life itself. We just LIVE life here and we are absolutely real. And I savor it every day of my life. When I was in high school & college I told everyone where to find me....IN NEW ORLEANS. It's held true and will hold true. I'm here and living the New Orleans life I always knew I would.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:19 PM

206 posts, read 528,911 times
Default Wow!

So many wonderful memories. I will always love new orleans and will never forget it.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Awesome to know that you have such a good relationship with NOLA.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:41 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,087 times
The people of New Orleans are great. I remember many years ago walking down the streets taking in everything with everyone else and the locals would ask you to come in and visit awhile just to rest up. They offered to share their meals etc. Just a great bunch of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans