U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:19 PM

4,851 posts, read 6,388,043 times

Advertisements

Why are NOLA public schools considered to be so bad. I have read how they are some of the worst in the nation in more than one publication. Is the problem with poor teaching, lack of discipline and parental support? I understand there are huge drug problems. Are there no police or school resource officers in place? What about the administrative members, district superintendents, governing school boards? What is their movement approach to the problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 PM

126 posts, read 430,939 times
I don't know....there are only 3 or 4 New Orleans Public Schools. The rest are charter schools and are spinning heads with their success with students. New Orleans Public Schools were terrible before Katrina. Very happy and thrilled to see almost the entire system turn into the charter school system.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:58 PM

258 posts, read 942,163 times
Give it 5 years and NOLA schools will be on top of the game.
The charter school system is already turning kids with little to no options into viable students with options.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 PM

37 posts, read 114,948 times
I think NOLA has the most crackhead parents in any other city. And we all know that crackhead parents could care less about their children's education. That's why their kids grow up to be crackheads and gang members, and the cycle repeats. I have never seen more slums and ghettos in one city than I did on my many visits to NOLA.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth777 View Post
I think NOLA has the most crackhead parents in any other city. And we all know that crackhead parents could care less about their children's education. That's why their kids grow up to be crackheads and gang members, and the cycle repeats. I have never seen more slums and ghettos in one city than I did on my many visits to NOLA.
It seems like it has been awhile since you were here. They've all been torn down since Katrina. And I didn't know any city in America still had "slums." However, we do still have areas in "recovery." I know New Orleans doesn't have slums--. Wherever you live must be the fairytale life?!? Come back to Earth, please.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 PM

Definition of slum "A heavily populated urban area characterized by substandard housing."

Old 03-17-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Definition of slum "A heavily populated urban area characterized by substandard housing."
These are the average price of homes in every zip code in the City of New Orleans in 2008--what zip code has the slums?

70113--$140,143
70114--$175,176
70115--$419,684
70116--$387,924
70117--$225,867
70118--$500,784
70119--$208,486
70122--$200,237
70124--$354,261
70125--$264,302
70126--$145,521
70127--$137,096
70128--$175,641
70129--$153,226
70130--$405,229
70131--$241,079

source: nola.com

Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 PM

The public housing surrounding the St. Louis Cemetery, or across the river from the French Quarter. Just walk around, you'll find them.

NOLA had over 200 murders per year until 2005, which isn't listed. In 2006, there was 162.
Denver, which has over 500,000, averaged 55 murders, between 2000 to 2007.
Boston, with a pop of almost 600,000 averaged 60 murders per year, between 200 to 2007
And just for fun, Phoenix has about the amount of murders per year as NOLA, except it's pop. is 3 TIMES that of NOLA.
Your city is dangerous. Deal with it.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,415,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Why are NOLA public schools considered to be so bad. I have read how they are some of the worst in the nation in more than one publication. Is the problem with poor teaching, lack of discipline and parental support? I understand there are huge drug problems. Are there no police or school resource officers in place? What about the administrative members, district superintendents, governing school boards? What is their movement approach to the problems?
the NOLA schools are starting to improve thanks to the charters and schools like the Ben Franklins have always been good, however a lot is still left to be desired and the rest of the schools (particularly RSD) range from ok to horrible.

The problems come from:
1. Systematic corruption.
2. The fact that most middle/upper class residents send their kids to Private schools, reducing extra support for public schools.
3. Nobody with the power to change anything really cares.
4. Many troubled students don't have any ambition or anyone to show them their true potential
5. Just a combination of generational, political, and systematic problems.

The list goes on and on. Hopefully the charter schools will reverse the trends and help the NOLA youth realize their potential. The good teachers left in the city are probably the ones who really really want to make a difference. New teachers run to the Northshore because they don't want to deal with the problems but the problems can't be solved if nobody is there to try. IMHO it's really gonna take effort from all sides to make a difference. We need teachers who want to teach, students who want to learn, govt who will pay teachers more, parents to support, etc.

Quote:
Huh bro. .. Ignorance and statistics do not mix.
I think ignorant comments like that do just as much damage as crack.
I mean we all know that ignorant parents produce ignorant kids who grow up not knowing s*** about s*** right? If I were to make an assumption from that comment, I would assume that dynamics surrounding crackheads, their habits, and their kids would be too complex for you to even grasp but you could be an Einstein just trying to stir up something.

Sure you have all of the statistics and what not, but take into account the dynamics and trends of NOLA crime not just the numbers and racial crap. Yeah, we have some crime problems but the average law-abiding citizen is safe, and the tourist even safer.

So you went the cemetaries and saw the Iberville and the Fischer across there river. What do you really know about NOLA? ??? ? Seriously? What do you know about life in NOLA?

Ok that's enough typing for me. lol That comment though, too kicks!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:17 AM

While I admit, my "crackhead" comments were of bad taste, the purpose of the statistics is that the question originally was "Why are NOLA public schools considered dangerous." My response is, because the city itself has high crime. In a city with 4 times the murders of other cities its size, one can not be surprised at the danger in the schools. Trust me, I have the same complaints about Little Rock, which is close to where I live. They have a high murder rate, and a high rate of crime in the schools. And for the most part, good "law abiding citizens" in either city usually are not the parents of the kids creating the danger in schools. Thus, the "crackhead" parent comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or