U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:55 PM

6 posts, read 32,076 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving back to New Orleans and are looking for a place to rent near our old neighborhood of the Lower Garden District. I've been looking at the River Garden apartments and they "look" very nice. But that neighborhood scares us a little. It's not too far from Magazine, so that's good. Does anyone know anything about these apartments? Wish I were there so I could drive through the area....we've walked near the area, but I've not actually walked amongst the newly built homes.

Thanks,
T.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 PM

126 posts, read 450,109 times
I've viewed them in years past. It's not too dangerous of a neighborhood, but, I did't like the fact that they had low ceilings and gave "the apartment," feel....But, they're nice. They have a workout facility, pool, etc.......Good luck and let me give you a pre-"Welcome back home."

Old 03-19-2009, 03:35 PM

6 posts, read 32,076 times
Default hmmm

I'm not sure you're thinking of the same River Garden I'm thinking of. It's near St. Mary/Annunciation/Laurel. They're newly built homes...but some are townhouse style duplexes. It's basically a whole neighborhood of several streets with these brand new "New Orleans" style homes.

T.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:08 PM

206 posts, read 507,988 times
Default Good Luck

You must be speaking of the "River Garden Apartments" that was built where the old St. Thomas Housing Project used to be. They are mixed income housing...meaning that they have some low income/moderate income residents living there. They are very nice on the inside/outside but i heard that there have been a lot of criminal activity in and near the facility. Jefferson,LA would probably be your best bet for somewhere halfway safe.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:36 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,194,496 times
No, don't live in Jefferson.
I'd consider River Garden but otherwise just live up past Napoleon Ave. if you are that worried.

But don't live in Jefferson Parish.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 PM

206 posts, read 507,988 times
Default Jefferson,LA

I was talking about around Ochsner Hospital. My brother in law live near that area. His family has no problems with crime... they stayed at the hospital during katrina and then went right back to the apartment.

Last edited by PhenomenalWoman; 03-23-2009 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: mispelled

Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,971,692 times
I have a friend moving back home who is interested in moving to River Garden or Saulet, but is leaning toward River Garden due to $. I've been trying to find info about how safe it is but for every good review I hear a bad one. I've been told that it is wonderful and then I've been told it's just the St. Thomas with new buildings. Anybody know anyone who stays there or know if it's really that bad?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:38 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,194,496 times
I go there often lately for an architecture preservation class.
It is I think majority African American, and appears to be very clean, well kept up.

I'd consider living there but there is petty crimes around there from time to time...and car break-ins. But I don't see anything there that looks bad, and I've been down there during the day and at night.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 22,498 times
No, there is no pool in River Garden Apartments by Felicity St. There are bad crimes happening there: people getting shot and killed. Tell everyone to avoid it. If you check the Citizen Crime Watch website, you will see that there is always crime around that area, a lot of times they do not report it and you only find out because they post that it has been happening for weeks!

All my good neighbors moved because of the lack of safety there. There is people selling drugs, stealing, fighting, yelling. Save yourself the headache. I wish I had done some research in the place before moving there. Worst mistake.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 22,498 times
I also would say avoid the Saulet because there is also high crime in that area. I just think if you are paying so much money, why should you be subject to the problems that exist in that area? It makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans