Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:23 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times

Advertisements

We always like to visit the shops on Magazine Street and walk along certain sections of St. Charles. We will be in the city for French Quarter Festival and with all that is happening the NOLA, wondered if the current violence has made these areas less desirable to visit. We have been to New Orleans many times ( lived there in the 1980's) and understand about being aware of people, surroundings, and what is going on. Should we taxi to Magazine or is it safe to walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:10 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
Taxi from? to Mag?

Magazine is fine, where are you staying?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:28 PM

We are staying on at the JW Marriot on Canal. How about the area between Canal and where the shops are located that we would have to walk through to get from one area to the other.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:40 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Magazine St is pretty long and has lots of little groupings of really interesting stores, with big gaps in between. It's perfectly safe, provided you take precautions as you would anywhere really but there's no need to be super-vigilant. My concern would be that it's such a long walk between these blocks of stores, with not a lot of interest in between. You may want to think about hiring bikes, or even a scooter.
And make sure you stop in at 'Le Bon Temp Roule', and the Circle Bar! Great refreshment stations should you decide to walk...or bike!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 PM

Thanks, jacq63 for your positive response. We have made a stop in the Circle Bar before. We liked it too! We are walkers, so the distance isn't a problem. While there may be gaps between the shops, we also like to look at architecture and plants and lots of other stuff, so we will not lack for entertainment on the walk. Does anyone know if the Magazine St. shuttle still runs? In the past it has been an alternative, if ther was rain, but the last time we visited, the shuttle wasn't running.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:41 PM

Youre very welcome! I haven't heard or seen that shuttle, but as you've been before you probably are aware you could take the St Charles Ave street car, get off at say..Napolean (could be a bit far), then walk down one of the intersecting streets to Magazine, heading back towards the city. If you like architecture youre probably aware of the great houses around there, not just grand mansions, but some really cute places too. We also enjoyed just gazing at the houses - at the time a lot were beautifully decorated for Mardi Gras.
Have a great time, and keep us up to date with your NOLA activities! I am soooo jealous!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:49 PM

We know where Napoleon is, our son lived on that street when he was getting his masters at Tulane. He lived across fnapoleon from Pascal's Manale Resturant. It was a beautiful house divided into an upstairs/downstairs apartments. During his time there we walked alot along those streets. Of course, that was before Katrina. I'm not so sure now about deviating from the well worn paths this city I love so much.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 AM

Well, it didn't look bad to me, but of course I've only seen it post K. The houses looked gorgeous to me, there are a few streets around there I'd be happy to call home.
We were there a lot at night as well, and didn't have any trouble. Except it was amazingly cold some nights!
I reckon just jump on in, don't stand on the diving board too long! I'd join y'all except for a few minor things like work, study...oh, and being incompletely the wrong country!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:24 AM

When were you last in NOLA? Our last trip was in September '08. Pre-Katrina we were able to go more frequently, especially when the son was there and we had free sleeping quarters. Of course, it meant buying a couple of meals for our son, his room mates and friends. When you count this in plus the groceries I bought because the cupboard was always bare (I think that may have been intentionally planned) we probably could have stayed in a hotel cheaper.
We are so looking forward to this trip.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:20 PM

We were there this past Feb. We stayed in a great apt on Bienville that we found on Craigslist. Great value considering it was M.G. We're going back in October for Voodoofest/Halloween. Compared to Aust, food prices aren't too bad, but there are so many great places to eat, we ended up eating very little at home! Then again, we don't have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans