Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,412 times

Advertisements

I am moving with the Coast Guard to New Orleans area and I have 3 children, ages 5, 2, and 3 months. I will be working down near the Superdome and I am looking for a safe place to live with decent school that won't be the commute from hell. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. I am not ruling out private school at this time if I can find a safe and friendly place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,291,052 times
If you can swing it, Uptown in or around Tulane Univ/Audobon Park area should fit your needs. Lusher school district as well.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:00 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,087,136 times
if you gota live there. get the kids in private school convert to catholic if you gota but do not go to public school.
be home by nightfall. get a mean dog and a shotgun. you guna need it.
signed a former
new orleans resident

Old 04-25-2009, 12:30 AM

122 posts, read 380,682 times
I agree with Huckleberry.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:53 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,587,238 times
Depends on your budget. I would look into the Old Metairie area. Not too bad a commute, schools are OK.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:12 AM

Location: Virginia, just outside of DC, our crooks are just dressed better than yours.
84 posts, read 306,247 times
Default Commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharris123 View Post
I am moving with the Coast Guard to New Orleans area and I have 3 children, ages 5, 2, and 3 months. I will be working down near the Superdome and I am looking for a safe place to live with decent school that won't be the commute from hell. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. I am not ruling out private school at this time if I can find a safe and friendly place to live.
I wouldn't tell you where to live, but nothing there compares to DC metro traffic. There is no HOV or slugging, VRE or MARC. Mom lives on the North Shore and I would say that even the commute from there is better than what people have to endure here (NOVA) Good luck to you. NOLA is a wonderful experience, great town, extraordinary people. You do have to be careful and use common sense, but that's the case in areas of DC too.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:56 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,291,052 times
Oh I have several friends who have kids that go to Lusher. It is a pretty good school and requires that its parents take an active interest in the school and its activities.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 PM

126 posts, read 469,520 times
Do not listen so some of the "former New Orleanians." They are out of touch with the city and aren't aware of the improved charter public school system in the city that is offering some of the best urban public education available in the United States. Really any of the charter public elementary schools in New Orleans will be just fine for your young children. They all offer excellent programs. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,587,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
Do not listen so some of the "former New Orleanians." They are out of touch with the city and aren't aware of the improved charter public school system in the city that is offering some of the best urban public education available in the United States. Really any of the charter public elementary schools in New Orleans will be just fine for your young children. They all offer excellent programs. Good luck.
Yes and don't they all have an application lottery? Do they all take any child who wants to go there? Certainly Audubon has closed enrollment for next year. What if you don't get in? What's left? I would rather see an excellent public system that serves any child who shows up.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,438,209 times
Try Uptown as Prytania said or Lakeview. To be honest what you like will depend on what you are used to, what you like, and what you consider safe.

I do agree with alon that most posters that try to discourage people from moving to the city proper are those who no longer live here. I also agree with Utah about the schools. The charters are great but if they don't want you, you're left with RSD .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans