U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:36 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,748,886 times

Advertisements

Do you think Hurricane Katrina has made New Orleans a better city??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 02:04 PM

887 posts, read 2,725,057 times
Yes!!

Many people in the city are more politically active, a renewed sense of community, New Orleans will never die.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:53 PM

256 posts, read 678,464 times
How would it...? That was a pretty open-ended OP.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:15 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,941,742 times
This is city-specific, so it's being moved to the N.O. room...

Old 04-19-2009, 10:29 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,428,392 times
Well, I don't know about all the ding-dinging, but I love the place, so I'll bite..

I can only speak for the experience of a friend who lost everything as a result of Katrina. He's a drummer, and though he's finding it tough financially, has made a load of new friends and networks which would not have happened otherwise. Of course like everyone, he'd rather K hadn't happened, but feels a lot of good things have come out of the devestation. No doubt there's a ton of stories like his.

I never saw NOLA prior to K, but she wasn't the first storm, and won't be the last. I think the spirit of the town and its people will mean it'll always be a wonderful place to be.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:21 PM

206 posts, read 489,688 times
Default New Orleans The Beautiful!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:14 AM

2,365 posts, read 10,565,383 times
Well, i think it is a stupid question, however i think it is a par for course comment, since many will say they are a better person for losing a leg, losing their home, losing their child, because then they get to know and help other people who lost two legs, or lost a home and their wife, or lost their child and their dog to cancer.

Loss imo is horrible, even if you live to live another day! And losing your home, your job, your piece of mnd for 2 plus years, just because your damn president and former presidents did not invest in the necessary infrastructure to avoid thousands of people losing their homes because of a foreseeble storm!

And then on top of that, smart ass people all over the country making snide remarks because people had no place to go and chose or were forced to fight it out and live in stadiums for weeks and months and shall i go on??

I bet the other countries had more heart and sympathy for our new orleans neighbors than the snobbish americans in other states!!

We had more sympathy for the indonesians!
oly mackeral! what a mess of messed up values!! Americans love to think they are better than other people, especially other Americans!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:49 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,640,659 times
The OP is from Germany, so I don't think we should assume this is a ding ding sort of question, but something honestly put forth as someone looking to see if going through something of that magnitude can change things for the better.

Jacq's friend hit the nail on the head. There are more people who are politically aware, there are people who are more connected with each other, there is more dialogue between black and white than ever before, in other words there is more connectivity. I would have to say that as a region we are a sadder yet wiser people.

As for being a better person; no. Definately a changed person. I'll only speak for me and mine. We have nightmares, we all dream of going through our homes filled with mud and mold, a friend dreams that she was able to save her parents from drowning, my husband dreams of having to load helicopters and about that guy who died because they couldn't stop the bleeding, another friend dreams he can't remember the number he was given in order to evacuate via helicopter, I dream of trugging thru 2 1/2 feet of mud and flies trying to get to Mom's house to make it better for her and of dying husbands laying in mud and human waste with nothing to drink. How does this make you a better person? It makes you realize that its the people and the time you have with them are important.

If it is a black thing, (which I don't think it is), right now the entire GNO area are crossing fingers, praying, and hoping that a couple of black teenaged kids who have been kidnapped will make it home alive and well. I don't know anyone who isn't pulling for these kids. It isn't about if they are black or white, it's about they are our own and their families who are so afraid and upset are our own and not some remote people up in New Jersey. No black, no white, just ours, and I'm more than happy to offer them my love and support.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 PM

4,846 posts, read 6,385,428 times
I just returned from NOLA today. In some ways the city is better. In some ways worse, alot worse. Yes, I agree people are more trying to be more politically active, trying to add a voice rather than just accepting the situation as it is. One thing I noticed this weekend is an active move to remove the mayor, before Katrina recalling Nagin would not have been considered and certainly not discussed or funded.

One tangible way I saw improvement in the city was it was cleaner. After Katrina the city hired an outside company to handle garbage and street clean up. Now, I can only speak for the FQ, Uptown, and Downtown, but over the last three years we have noticed tremendous improvement in clean up. There are always people walking around with brooms and dust pans sweeping up the trash. There are more recepticals for trash and they are emptied multiple times during the day instead of once, while there is overflow (especially during Festival) it is not as bad and doesn't spread. People seemed to be more conscience of putting their empties in the recepticals rather than just throwing them on the ground. Pre-Katrina I rarely saw anyone look for the trash can.

I know the neighborhoods are still suffering and the crime rate escalates daily. In these respects NOLA is worse. But overall, from a former local (lived there in the late 80's early 90's) I see improvement.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:06 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,188,969 times
I think it will make New Orleans a stronger, more prepared city. It reminded people that New Orleans is home to many people, not just a playground like Bourbon Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans