U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 8,575 times

Advertisements

Hello New Orleans!

I have been perusing this forum for approximately 2 years now as well as other cities in the USA and I think I have made my decision regarding my next living destination. I am in need of some vital information that I know you all can offer me through first hand experience. Although I haven't met anyone here, I can trust many of you are sincere in your love and grievances for this city judging by what I've seen in the forums to date. I thank you in advance for any information, positive or negative and apprieciate your patience with my extremely long winded request for information.

Deespite my best efforts, apparently I am also under the same contraints of time travel (1 second per second) that everyone else is. I will be turning forty this year and feel the need to change my life's course. I was born in Brooklyn, NY, raised on Long Island and moved to Florida eleven years ago. I have been in the service industry since I was 18. Bartending for the first decade on Long Island at a tremendous beach club where it was common to ring four or five thousand dollars per 10 hour shift. When I moved to Florida I went to school for computer networking and wound up falling in love with web design and graphics. I stayed in the service industry at corporate chain restaurants while fixing computers and designing pages and logos for locals on the side. I still participate in Photoshop contests online and will do my best to keep up with the software and hardware for as long as I can and yes I still play those damn video games when I have spare time. You may be asking yourself why I would stay in the service industry when I could be in the IT field? The answer for me was the fact that I enjoy the challenge of the service industry. You get to work with some of the funniest people on the planet, each day is completely different than the last and of course you meet a lot of new people while doing the job. I know a lot of them aren't the happiest people but the amount of enjoyable people seemed to far outweigh the miserable ones. A lot of times I could turn someone's tough day into a good one just by efficient service, witty banter or something as simple as a sincere compliment and an accompanying smile, without offending them of course. Some of the grouchy people were just hungry anyway and felt better after they ate and that happens to the best of us. Then after work I could go fix someone's computer who will just click every banner for a week after I leave and then call me to ask me what I've done to their computer the morning it takes forty minutes to boot to the desktop. Ok so I have no problem with my current choice of career and would love to come to New Orleans to raise the bar into fine dining and wine service. I wouldn't hesitate to work in a party, casual or polished casual dining establishment either. I understand work is work after all and I have to pay the bills. I really will avoid chain restaurants because I've had my fill of them already and I don't want the Triple Death By Chocolate Lava Cake engulfed in sparklers, thank you. That sums up my work history slightly.

The reason I want to leave Florida is my unmatched skills of fortelling the future! Ok that's a bit of a stretch but it's not too hard to see what may be on the horizon here. Florida's Space Coast is in an economic downturn much like the rest of the country but there is also a major twist here. NASA's space shuttle program will be shutting down for five years soon and this will place immense stress on an already strained job market. I am not the type to panic but I can see that things will be getting a little bit more cut throat like what Las Vegas is going through. This is a tourist fueled state and it will have a noticable effect on everyone's budget and paycheck depending on what side of the bar you happen to be on. I see no harm in contingency plans I can enact in time for me to get out before I am trapped here financially. The locals have a term for it that the rocket scientists coined. Its called escape velocity and I'll need it. Herein lies the rub; I have a passenger with me and this is my main concern regarding relocation.

I have been raised with dog's and cats my entire life and I am of the firm conclusion that dogs have owners and cats have staff. I have an eleven year old, 90 lb. Rottweiler/Doberman mix that was a rescue at six weeks of age. He was born with hip dysplasia. The vet wanted to operate on him and possibly give him two plastic and metal replacement sockets before he was two years old. This would no doubt have subjected him to years of scheduled therapy and an endles stream of prescription meds I could not afford. The most likely scenario was to put him to sleep if anything went wrong along the way at all. I have always believed life will find a way to compensate on the basic premise of survival. I chose to leave the dog in his condition and see how it went. I was confident his ligaments, muscles, bones,cartilage and surrounding tissue would compensate for the dysplasic hip joints. He lived a very active lifestyle with an extra large Male Akita and a Lab/Boxer mix until a year ago when they both passed from old age and he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down at all in his eleventh year. Granted he doesn't run around the yard as much and wrestle constantly with much larger dogs now that the other two passed but he still drags me along the sidewalk when we go for walks. He has never been on anything but flea pills, K-9 shampoo and a steady reward system of pig's ears. He even has a new girlfriend next door he darts around the house with that actually never leaves now that she found the dog bone bag in the closet. Maybe I got very lucky with him and maybe the fatty baconesque pig's ears the vet condoned kept him well conditioned so far or maybe it was unconditional adoration and attention that kept his heart and soul strong for me all this time. Either way, he has about four more years and I'm taking him out in the barn to pull an Ol' Yeller because I can't afford the K-9 old folks home prices! Ok I'm joking of course. He is my "son" and will get as much love as I can possibly give him until the day he goes.

I didn't even realize how much I've rambled about this but I will be looking for a rental house instead of an apartment because of this breed. I know the media freaks people out with horror stories about Rottweilers, Akitas, Chows, Bullys, Dobermans, German Shepherds etc... so I completely understand it may be difficult to find a large pet friendly rental. I am willing to pay extra for desposits, security, higher rent and cleaning bills regularly. I must also admit that I will more than likely get another dog after he passes away and would like to know I'm allowed to if I am still renting and not an owner by then. I will say what every dog owner says and state that he is the perfect, quiet and clean dog. He was trained by an Akita to only bark when something is wrong. He picked this up from being raised by the Akita we had and has employed it his entire life. He is perfect about waiting until I get home to go outside to do his business and I will be focusing on trying to find less carpeted houses anyway due to my own preferences. I know I may be looking for an unreal situation but scanning neighborhoods, yards, exteriors and streets is much much easier than it used to be from a distance thanks to google maps, the city-data site and many other tools the internet affords you. The fact that I have to have a dog is an extremey important one with me and may even wind up keeping me in Florida for however long. I really want to move out of here and hope there may be a golden opportunity or two over there in New Orleans. I do plan on flying up, staying at least five days and meeting up with owners and realtors to possibly hammer out a future path for me and my hairy, tongue whipping dope.

My rental parameters would be up to 1100 per month. Possibly more if I can get into a safer area that is closer to The French Quarter. I'll have a car but am willing to use cabs/public transportation to and from work for convenience and not having to walk into dimly lit areas to retrieve my car at night. I know crime is everywhere and I'm pretty street smart already. I used to work with my father welding casement windows all over the Bronx in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Not that there's anything wrong with the Bronx but it wasn't Beverly Hills back then! It taught me a thing or two about respect for others and at the very least when to keep my mouth shut.

To finally bring this wall of text to a halt I would greatly appreciate any information about any part of New orleans that may suit my situation. Thank you for surviving my novella and I sincerely hope to be a part of a wonderful city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 PM

95 posts, read 296,632 times
Well... It looks like rental prices are coming down right now, so that's a good thing for you.

Have you thought about other areas than near the French Quarter? Some might say that living in that area is a tad overrated.

If you can visit for a few weekends, then I would suggest following up on Craigslist ads.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:16 AM

378 posts, read 1,063,111 times
Pick up a local magazine called the Gambit. I believe it is online at www.bestofneworleans.com. They have a good classified section for rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans