U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 02:47 PM

166 posts, read 309,788 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who teaches for or has good knowledge of the New Orleans Recovery School District, especially if they moved from out of state to work in the New Orleans schools. Answering either in the thread or privately are both fine. I have gone through all the preliminary hoops and am now in the Teacher Candidate Pool, which I'm excited about. For those who got to that point, how was the job-finding process after that? I want to do this right and avoid mistakes that are possible to avoid. Thank you so much!

Last edited by Patrick Murtha; 05-30-2009 at 02:56 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,997 times
I realize this thread was written last year, but how did the job hunt go? Did you end up in RSD? I have applied online and have been invited to do a phone interview for RSD but I am unsure. I have a twelve year old daughter and it is just the two of us. Is the area and schools safe? How about the threat of more serious hurricanes? I am currently living in Michigan but want to get away from the winter weather.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:04 PM

I did not wind up in New Orleans. As I mentioned in the original post, I made it through all the hoops and got into the Teacher Candidate Pool. Then I aggressively contacted schools with appropriate openings; and -- nothing happened. No call-backs, no interviews for actual positions. Undoubtedly it would have helped if I could have traveled to New Orleans for a job fair; but still, I must say the overall experience was disappointing.

My six-month nationwide job search last year netted exactly one offer -- at a charter high school in northern Nevada. I took it, and relocated on my own dime, only to discover that I had signed on with the world's worst school. They had me teaching and writing curriculum for nine different courses -- English 9, 10, 11, 12, Journalism, World History, American History, American Government, and Sociology. It was insane. Plus there was zero support -- the "principal" was only on site one day per week! I left at the semester break in January.

Since prospects for U.S. teachers are even dimmer this year than last, I eventually concentrated my job search overseas and found a good-paying ESL job in Korea very swiftly. I'll be teaching business executives, which I look forward to; I'm flying out at the end of this month. Partly because I have teaching experience and a master's degree in education, I had interest from all over the world -- Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Chile, and other countries. My market value, virtually nil in America, is apparently quite good around the globe (and will only increase after a year teaching ESL, and obtaining the TOEFL certificate, which I plan to do). So whether or not I stay in Korea specifically, I think my future is as an expat -- it makes financial sense. Hey, I always wanted to see more of the world. But this is an easier path for a single person such as myself. My only dependent is my cat (and she's coming with me!).

Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 PM

391 posts, read 504,959 times
Congrats on the new job over seas. I hope everything works out and wish you the best of luck. Don't forget about us back in the states. I love to see some photos from Korea.
Be safe.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 PM

4,877 posts, read 6,454,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murtha View Post
I did not wind up in New Orleans. As I mentioned in the original post, I made it through all the hoops and got into the Teacher Candidate Pool. Then I aggressively contacted schools with appropriate openings; and -- nothing happened. No call-backs, no interviews for actual positions. Undoubtedly it would have helped if I could have traveled to New Orleans for a job fair; but still, I must say the overall experience was disappointing.

My six-month nationwide job search last year netted exactly one offer -- at a charter high school in northern Nevada. I took it, and relocated on my own dime, only to discover that I had signed on with the world's worst school. They had me teaching and writing curriculum for nine different courses -- English 9, 10, 11, 12, Journalism, World History, American History, American Government, and Sociology. It was insane. Plus there was zero support -- the "principal" was only on site one day per week! I left at the semester break in January.

Since prospects for U.S. teachers are even dimmer this year than last, I eventually concentrated my job search overseas and found a good-paying ESL job in Korea very swiftly. I'll be teaching business executives, which I look forward to; I'm flying out at the end of this month. Partly because I have teaching experience and a master's degree in education, I had interest from all over the world -- Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Chile, and other countries. My market value, virtually nil in America, is apparently quite good around the globe (and will only increase after a year teaching ESL, and obtaining the TOEFL certificate, which I plan to do). So whether or not I stay in Korea specifically, I think my future is as an expat -- it makes financial sense. Hey, I always wanted to see more of the world. But this is an easier path for a single person such as myself. My only dependent is my cat (and she's coming with me!).
I would really like to hear more about how you go into overseas teaching. My husband and I are empty nesters and are ready for a new challenge in our lives. Perhaps this is something I would want to look into.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:25 AM

The world of teaching English abroad is a huge one. To start, it is worth checking out the numerous job listings at Dave's ESL Cafe and TEFL.com:

Dave's ESL Cafe

Welcome - TEFL.com

There are other job/information boards, too, but those two are good to start with. It is a good idea to post your resume at those sites as well; recruiters will contact you (and I got my job through one of them). All of that is free. There are new listings on these boards every day; jobs start at all times of the year.

Some countries will require TEFL certification (although Korea does not). Some countries (such as China) will require that an applicant be no older than 55 when they get their initial work visa. Many countries will require evidence of citizenship from the U.S., U.K., Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa (the list will vary; there are a few countries, such as Brunei, that are open to British Commonwealth applicants but not to Americans). Prior teaching experience is generally not required for many jobs, but in my case that experience and my master's degree in education helped me land a much better job than I could otherwise have gotten.

There are ESL teaching positions available all over the globe, in Asia, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and Latin America. I know of one young man who has taught in Vietnam, Turkey, and Peru over the past three years.

The process of getting a work visa will be bureaucratically intensive for almost every country. It helps to be well-organized!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or