U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:27 PM

182 posts, read 347,557 times

Advertisements

As mentioned in another thread, I have been accepted into the Teacher Candidate Pool for the New Orleans Recovery School District. There is a very high likelihood that I will be moving to New Orleans later this summer, even if I haven't had a final offer for a position yet; the Candidate Pool is a selective group and I feel confident of getting work in the RSD by the fall.

Although I have traveled extensively throughout the U.S. and lived on both coasts and in the Midwest, I have never been to New Orleans. So I could certainly use advice on the relocation. I am a single male, 50 years old, unmarried and childless (quite happily). My only dependent is a really nice Birman cat; I am never without a pet or two (and have had every kind of pet). I rent rather than own; I have a nice but not fancy paid-off car. I live simply except for a couple of extravagances (clothing and books). My credit history is somewhat checkered, but I have been eliminating debt, and within a year I will carry no debt at all except the student loan from my master's degree program.

What I would be looking for is a two-bedroom pet-friendly apartment; the second bedroom functions as a library (although believe me, there are books in every room). My other requirements are pretty modest: dishwasher, built-in microwave, garage, plenty of closet space. I prefer carpeting to hardwood floors. My current apartment matches this description exactly, and is 750 square feet; I pay $545.00/month altogether, including water, garage fee, and pet fee, but not including other utilities. I know that's a good rate; Wisconsin is pretty cheap.

What neighborhoods in (or near) New Orleans would be best for me to concentrate my apartment search on? I would like a relatively stimulating, relatively safe, relatively high-ground and hurricane-ready neighborhood, of course, but I also understand that "you can't always get what you want." I'm a very multiculturally friendly guy and always get along with my neighbors, so that's not a factor. I'm looking forward to my new surroundings -- even the weather, as I'm a heat-and-humidity person rather than a cold-weather person.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 11:09 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,199,755 times
I live Uptown between Jefferson and Napoleon (high ground), no violent crime to speak of (altho I am sure petty thefts and whatnot occur) and lots of stores nearby.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 PM

19 posts, read 54,551 times
I doubt you'll be able to get an apartment like the one you had in Wisconsin in a "safe" area of New Orleans for much under $900. South of St. Charles Ave, is the high ground. Ideally the best place to be uptown is between Magazine and St. Charles and Jackson Ave. and Audubon Park. Anything in there should be fairly safe. You could probably find a larger place that is cheaper and safer in a surrounding suburb such as Metairie or Kenner.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 17,765 times
Default Check Craigslist for apts...

If you go to the New Orleans section of Craigslist, that's where most of the apt. for rent here are at. Unless you have $900-1500 a month, you probably won't get what you are looking for though.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:14 PM

182 posts, read 347,557 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugsnpugs View Post
If you go to the New Orleans section of Craigslist, that's where most of the apt. for rent here are at. Unless you have $900-1500 a month, you probably won't get what you are looking for though.
That is discouraging, since I would be taking a considerable pay cut from the job I had here in Wisconsin to teach in New Orleans. I'd rather not double or trouble my cost of living if I'm making less money! Granted, I am unemployed right now, but I could probably find a non-teaching job, stay here, and keep my expenses as low as they've been.

These calculations are no fun!

Old 06-05-2009, 02:06 PM

It depends I live in a $700 apartment (mother in law) in a pretty good area Uptown, but anything under $700 if you want to live alone is likely to be very sketchy.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:14 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,446,877 times
I believe you can search through a variety of rental properties on the prudentialgardner website. Your best bet to stay on budget would probably be a basement apartment or a garage apartment.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 23,107 times
Default Post Katrina

Obviously, these are post Katrina housing cost (in the greater New Orleans area); You would think they would have gone down because we need the help to have a place to live but it must be based on how much can be gotten (by some people) from assistance (like FEMA). Of course, the reason could really be higher insurance. Certain neighborhoods in Metairie/Kenner may not be the same anymore either, because the projects were torn down (they needed to be) and that population from bad neighborhoods has spread out. Lastly, every time a bad hurricane is in the Gulf, you will probably be asked to evacuate. I've been wanting to move, but there seems to be something bad almost everywhere or you can't afford it.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:50 AM

19 posts, read 54,551 times
Now you see why statistically 1 out of 5 New Orleanians want to move out of the city, and why 50% of the population between the ages of 22-30 want to move out of the city. Hopefully my day comes sooner than later. It's a good thing New Orleans has a rich history, that's all the city is going to be able to hold onto.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:08 PM

And why New Orleans has a pretty big influx of young professionals coming into the city...

See ya Kellhashc...job market is better here than in most other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans