U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,188 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Metairie (10 minutes from New Orleans) my whole life, and while there's plenty of stuff to do here, frankly I'm sick of the crime, filth, etc. in this city, (especially since Katrina). I'm an ultrasound tech at a large hospital and my husband's a musician (guitarist). We're both in our early forties and don't have kids, so we're looking to relocate to someplace nice, clean and relatively crime free. We like the theatre, concerts and fine dining. A doctor friend from Virginia says Richmond's the place to settle in. I've never been to Virginia and have no idea where to start. We can afford a house around $250,000 to $300,000. Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2006, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,684 times
Default information on safer city

thought you might want to know that there is a web site that gives all the stats on where to live and the crime rate. it is called morgan quitno. they release the stats of all cities. good luck and oh by the way newton mass is the safest town in the country for almost 12 yrs and i know it is simply beautiful too but cold in the winter enjoy and good luck to you!!!!

Old 07-10-2006, 07:08 PM

7 posts, read 99,210 times
try nashville tennessee, it should be the perfect place for you and your husband,many outstanding hospitals and music opps. galore,live in suburbs. you'll love it ,i promise you. it is centrally located to other states.and you will never be bored.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,260 times
I have been from one end of this state to another. I have worked in EVERY major city in this state. Lafayette is the BEST big city to live by. GREAT hospitals, and close to the Atchafalaya Basin.

Best small town to raise kids in is Arnaudville. See this site for more info. //www.city-data.com/city/Arnaud...Louisiana.html Population is about 1300. Good schools, good people, and 35 miles north east of Lafayette so you can buy home owners insurance. Since Katrina, everything south of I 10 is either unwritable or VERY expensive. Arnaudville is higher ground too, about 32 feet above sea level. No hurricane has EVER gotten that much storm surge, yet.

Basically Louisiana has a lot of good people. We also have a lot of "state dependant" people. ie those on welfare, and politicians. Both are about the same. There are a few good politicians in this state. I know all 3 of them !! Seriously, politically this place is like Central America!! Forget New Orleans, most of us don't claim that city. I know a lot of good people from there, but there are a LOT of "state dependants" there.

Write if you need more info on the state. wdmim2@cox.net. Here is a personal run down of our 7 major cities. My opinion after living here 40 years, born and raised.

Shreveport: NO
Monroe: Maybe
Alexandria: Yes
Lafayette: YES!!
Lake Charles: Maybe
Baton Rouge: No
New Orleans: NO

Old 07-16-2006, 04:53 PM

5 posts, read 22,703 times
My advice is to leave this wretched state. Lafayette may be the greatest place on earth to live, but, based on what I've seen there, it's just another city (if you can call it that) filled with uneducated racists. This state just sucks...no two ways about it. If your husband is a musician (aspiring or otherwise), consider Austin, TX. There are lots of great companies, great schools, great hospitals, etc., and the cost of living isn't bad. San Antonio may be nice to visit, but, it's not a nice place to live. Dallas is great, but, very snobby and materialistic. Personally, I think Fort Worth is pretty awesome. But, Austin is the best hybrid of all the aforementioned cities. And, for what it's worth, I've lived in all of the cities mentioned with the exception of Lafayette. Still, I think LA stinks.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:25 PM

83 posts, read 504,351 times
Lake Charles used to be awesome but since Katrina I'm ready to leave. Our population has doubled and not for the better. There's more crime than there ever was. I'm ready to head to Nevada myself.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:53 PM

29 posts, read 111,131 times
Default About SA...

Frank Sinatra,
What don't you like about San Antonio? I am moving there, so I would like to hear people's opinions about it. So far, I have heard only good, but if there is something it's not, I would like to know about it

Thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 05:14 PM

32 posts, read 273,776 times
Hi,

You mentioned no to Baton Rouge. I would like to know why. Thank you.

Baton Rouge: No
New Orleans: NO

Old 07-31-2006, 10:11 AM

4,948 posts, read 17,997,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmwilder
thought you might want to know that there is a web site that gives all the stats on where to live and the crime rate. it is called morgan quitno. they release the stats of all cities. good luck and oh by the way newton mass is the safest town in the country for almost 12 yrs and i know it is simply beautiful too but cold in the winter enjoy and good luck to you!!!!
I agree with you regarding newton, and even the chestnut hill and west roxbury area. It is great!

judy

Old 08-09-2006, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,179 times
I have been wondering how long before everyone would want to get the hell out of New Orleans......................

Personally I grew up in Lafayette, I love the place, but would not want to move back there. 20 years ago I came visit a friend in Austin and absolutely fell in love with the place. I have been here ever since, except for the 2 years that I lived in Richmond, Virginia for work. Richmond area is pretty with tall trees, mountains and ocean only an hour away in either direction, lots of history, but the city itself is pretty dirty, and the crime rate is as bad as New Orleans. Also strange, there is no beef there, all pork products.

I have had the oportunity to travel all over the world for business, and have always been drawn back to Austin, it is home. Very beautiful, very clean, low crime rate and excellent opportunities to make a good life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans