Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 06:38 PM

24 posts, read 110,399 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from California where my black-tri Australian Shepherd has suffered but coped in 110 degree weather. I hose her down and she's fine. But I hear how miserable it is in the humidity and wonder if it would help her to be shaved?

She's an old dog and I don't want to stress her out with unnecessary grooming, but also don't want her to suffer from the heat if a shave will help her. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 07:38 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
If by shave you mean take all of the hair off, that wouldn't be necessary. If you mean shortening the generally long coat to about an inch or two, go for it. Plenty of people around here who own long hair dogs cut the coat shorter during the summer. Make sure she has a shady area in the yard and plenty of water.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
NO! A dog's coat provides insulation and helps protect the skin from sunburn. Look in the C-D dog forum for more on this topic.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
I live in Alabama and one of my mid-life children is a 15 year old Australian Shepherd Blue Merle. We keep him shaved in the summer and clipped in the winter. If we let his hair grow out too long he gets huge hot spots. The occur most on his feet, face, and back at his tail. Our boy was a working cattle dog for many years, he is now retired and doesn't spend alot of time outside unless he chooses to go out. In other words he lives in the house (mostly on the couch or his bed in the corner) and because of his age and arthritis we do not force him to go for walks or lots of exercise.

Our vet is on board with the hair cuts as we have them done by the groomer in her office. His shave is like the shearing a sheep would get. Under their top coat, aussie hair is much like sheep wool. His last shearing is always the first week in August. This allows his hair time to regrow enough to supply the insolation needed for a north Alabama winter.

If he were an outdoor dog I'm sure I would do this differently, but since he stays inside most of the time and has his own doggie door to go out and fenced in yard it works for him and for us.

I can't imagine how he would survive the summer if we let his hair grow.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,404 times
My neighbors didn't completely shave their persian cat, but he did get a hair cut. Funny, I was reading a new book on Katrina animal rescues yesterday, and they talked about some of the dogs getting sunburn, Southern. One cream colored pit bull had blisters, poor little thing, from the sun burn. E's cat doesn't spend a whole lot of time outside so I think he's in no trouble for sunburn, but if your dog is going to be outside a good bit, I'd provide some shade and just get him a trim. I never knew an animal could get sunburned; the things you learn!

Old 06-17-2009, 02:58 PM

24 posts, read 110,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I live in Alabama and one of my mid-life children is a 15 year old Australian Shepherd Blue Merle. We keep him shaved in the summer and clipped in the winter. If we let his hair grow out too long he gets huge hot spots. The occur most on his feet, face, and back at his tail. Our boy was a working cattle dog for many years, he is now retired and doesn't spend alot of time outside unless he chooses to go out. In other words he lives in the house (mostly on the couch or his bed in the corner) and because of his age and arthritis we do not force him to go for walks or lots of exercise.

Our vet is on board with the hair cuts as we have them done by the groomer in her office. His shave is like the shearing a sheep would get. Under their top coat, aussie hair is much like sheep wool. His last shearing is always the first week in August. This allows his hair time to regrow enough to supply the insolation needed for a north Alabama winter.

If he were an outdoor dog I'm sure I would do this differently, but since he stays inside most of the time and has his own doggie door to go out and fenced in yard it works for him and for us.

I can't imagine how he would survive the summer if we let his hair grow.
Wow, great advice. She's 13 and not much of a walker anymore either. I think she would be more comfortable with a shave since she really does seem to suffer in our California hot days (July/August).

Last edited by mohunny; 06-17-2009 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: more text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans