Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:07 PM

44 posts, read 123,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I have recently graduated with a teaching degree and I am being approached by the New Orleans Recovery School District.

First: Would it be wise to move my family with two young daughters to New Orleans where I will be making a low income teaching? Is it safe?

Second: Would it be a good idea to work for the Recovery School District of New Orleans?

I live in NW Arkansas right now. Any help/advice is appreciated.
You do not want your children in an Orleans Parish school. Even the magnet schools are substandard. Also, the city is deceptively expensive: rent, food, cost of living, cost of private school. If you were alone, I'd say try it, but with kids--no. I would not move down here for an Orleans Parish school teacher's salary, especially with children. And I love this city! So...this is very heart-felt advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 11:32 AM

63 posts, read 564,841 times
Dr.Foosball I would recommend you live in Metaire and take the job in the recovery school district.
A home in the Alice Birney or Grace King school district would be very safe. I worked at a school in Jefferson Parish where my children attended, and when I had a student suspened he threatned one of my children. When your children are school age they could attend on of the great schools on the East Bank of Jefferson Parish. Jefferson Parish School System has put most of it's money into the schools in white areas. The Dandrige desegration order is changing that. So schools that are falling down will be getting fixed in Jeffeson Parish. Orleans has never cared about the schools because the system was 90 percent black after the "white flight" of the 60's due to integration. Katrina has been the BEST THING that has happened to the school system. Missylyn's experience is rare. Blacks are not mad about the past, they are mad about the present **** that they go through. She should read some books by Tim Wise. I would NOT work in Central City or Hollygrove,but anywhere else should be ok. Also consider teaching elementary.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 AM

10 posts, read 29,452 times
Default What about St. Charles Parish?

I am a teacher and I have two children. St. Charles Parish (Luling, Destrehan, Boutte) would be about a 30-45 min communte into NOLA. I have worked with schools in the RSD and that is about what it takes me to drive it and I live in Luling. St. Charles Parish has some of the best schools in the state, very family/community friendly, and the rent is much cheaper than Metairie and NOLA. We rent a 3 bedroom that is approximately 2000 sq ft for $1200/month where as in Metairie it would have cost us about $2200/month. You are still close enough to the city to have shopping and nightlife, but with that small town community atmosphere. Also, the people in St. Charles Parish are extremely kind, funny, and helpful. Also, RSD does not require you to live in NOLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans