Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,512,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I think NOLA would prosper more if the two races could live together in harmony like here in San Antonio. Here we have Germans, Hispanics, African American , Asians and other races all living together in every part of the city.
You can say that the different races in the city do get along (for the most part). You have to consider that one of the reasons Metairie exists is the avoid living together.

Quote:
If the two would merge NOLA pop would be over 500K and would attract not only gov but private investor. I just can't believe that a city like NOLA with all the natural resources around it is not one of the most powerful cities in the South or the USA.
Shows you just how important good leadership is on both the state and local level.

Quote:
NOLA police force should set up in the durg crime riden parts of town and get rid of most of that mess. Just like the Phonix sherriff does
Again, for this to even be effective, you would have to have better leadership and accountability on multiple levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 01:47 PM

44 posts, read 123,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Its funny since they both despise each other, but they need each other to survive and thrive.
In 20 years of living in Orleans, I have never heard anyone in Orleans Parish say they despise Jefferson. Now, the other way around....all the time.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:37 AM

3,263 posts, read 9,072,142 times
NOLA stop debating and start progressing,annex build and make sure the levee are ok. NOLAone of the true great world city is still arguing over race in this day and time

Old 06-26-2009, 10:33 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,701,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
NOLA stop debating and start progressing,annex build and make sure the levee are ok. NOLAone of the true great world city is still arguing over race in this day and time
Annexing Metairie would not do anything but start trouble. It would increase the tax base, but not for long. That would mean all of New Orleans' problems would become theirs. That would mean the mediocre NOPD. As soon as New Orleans popped up on their doorstep and taking out the trash at night becomes a safety issue, they will pack up and move the the northshore...or worse, Houston or Atlanta, and take their tax dollars with them.

The answer to New Orleans' problems is not annexing. Annexing will only serve to drag "good" areas down until the leaders in New Orleans can fix the school system, the crime, and everything else that drove those people to Metairie in the first place.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Annexing Metairie would not do anything but start trouble. It would increase the tax base, but not for long. That would mean all of New Orleans' problems would become theirs. That would mean the mediocre NOPD. As soon as New Orleans popped up on their doorstep and taking out the trash at night becomes a safety issue, they will pack up and move the the northshore...or worse, Houston or Atlanta, and take their tax dollars with them.

The answer to New Orleans' problems is not annexing. Annexing will only serve to drag "good" areas down until the leaders in New Orleans can fix the school system, the crime, and everything else that drove those people to Metairie in the first place.
The BIGGEST problem that would come from annexation would be people moving because they don't want to be in "New Orleans". Crime is not going to instantly spill over the canal because of a name change. You can bet that if Metairie became NO, it would get the same attention from NOPD that Lakeview gets. JP has its fair share of crime (reported or not). The only thing that makes it feel safer than NO is the # of murders and a false sense of security.

They would have to work out an agreement with the school system. Maybe some Metairie schools becoming NOPS or Charter, but guaranteed no RSD schools.

I think the biggest issue would be the people themselves. I hate to bring race into this but it would be a large factor as well. Race relations in Orleans Parish for the most are good. You have the occasional Uptown v. everybody else spats and New Orleans original brand of reverse racism, but they are nowhere near as bad as what you get when you throw Jefferson into the picture.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:44 PM

3,080 posts, read 8,048,615 times
I think that for NO to annex Metarie would be far more complicated than just a vote by the city council. Probably the state legislature would have to grant permission to call for a vote in Orleans and Jefferson Parishes. Since Metairie is unincorporated, they would have to decide on exact boundaries of the annexed area.

Shreveport and Bossier City (They ARE in two different parishes) have struggled with this very prospect for years about forming a metro government. I don't really believe either city or parish wishes to consolidate at this time, although it could bring certain benefits (maybe). But the two cities are different in many ways how they govern and get behind new projects and ideas. NO and Met could definitely be unwilling to do this, although it may be beneficial.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:01 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,701,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The BIGGEST problem that would come from annexation would be people moving because they don't want to be in "New Orleans". Crime is not going to instantly spill over the canal because of a name change. You can bet that if Metairie became NO, it would get the same attention from NOPD that Lakeview gets. JP has its fair share of crime (reported or not). The only thing that makes it feel safer than NO is the # of murders and a false sense of security.

They would have to work out an agreement with the school system. Maybe some Metairie schools becoming NOPS or Charter, but guaranteed no RSD schools.

I think the biggest issue would be the people themselves. I hate to bring race into this but it would be a large factor as well. Race relations in Orleans Parish for the most are good. You have the occasional Uptown v. everybody else spats and New Orleans original brand of reverse racism, but they are nowhere near as bad as what you get when you throw Jefferson into the picture.
Idk maybe you're right. I just feel like the NOPD is already stretched thin. But you live there, I'm only a visitor at this point in my life, so you know better that I. But I think we can agree that this would definitely cause an array of problems.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Idk maybe you're right. I just feel like the NOPD is already stretched thin. But you live there, I'm only a visitor at this point in my life, so you know better that I. But I think we can agree that this would definitely cause an array of problems.
Most definitely!
I agree with you about NOPD also.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 PM

423 posts, read 1,252,004 times
Quote:

This seems to be a pretty realistic characterization to me.

It would be up to individual state laws to determine exactly how annexation can take place, but I don't think Louisiana statutes make it particularly easy, which explains why so much land in the state is incorporated. (Compare this to Mississippi, where annexation is commonplace and every county in the state has at least one incorporated town. In Louisiana many parishes--such as St. Bernard or Plaquemines--have no incorporated areas whatsoever.)

It isn't unheard of for a city to annex outside of its "mother county"--Columbus OH has annexed in areas outside of the principal county it occupies, and Jackson MS annexed the city's airport even though it's in neighboring Ranking county.

Politically this would be far more of a challenge for New Orleans to annex Metairie. The residents would most likely fight tooth and nail, and while some is probably built on racial prejudice, it also has much to do with perceived incompetence of New Orleans' city government, which many Metairie residents long ago made a conscious decision to escape. I agree that it would only hurt the region in the long run, because it would stop making Metairie appealing to the demographic group that predominantly lives there--middle and upper-middle class families. Conversely, New Orleans will always attract young singles or childless couples because they are less concerned about raising a family--Metairie will never entice these people and will be even less desirable if it is managed the way New Orleans is. I hate to say this, but the status quo is probably a better scenario here.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 AM

3,263 posts, read 9,072,142 times
After personally visiting the area I would definitely say yes. Tradition cannot get in the way of progress on this matter.

Need strong mayor anc council to attract business there
Need Tulane Univ& UNO to be the factory of the educate populace of NOLA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans