U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 01:57 PM

10 posts, read 22,090 times

Advertisements

I love New Orleans, the food, the architecture, the music, the history. Everything.. Except for the crime.

Let's get real here. How bad is it? I live in a small town in northern minnesota. I've rarely hear of murders in this area, maybe once every 5 years. I'm sure the culture shock will hit me hard in the first few months, and reality will set in.

I read that most of the murders are drug related, how often do random murders occur?

Also, how well can you live working as a bartender? Will I be able to afford rent, internet, and common things for survival?

I plan on attending college in the city after a year or two of getting myself settled in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 03:45 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,068,390 times
Its bad but it isn't that bad.
Don't run off in areas you don't know alone, don't deal drugs and leave the thugs to their own devices...and 99% of the time you won't have a problem.
There seems to be less random violence here...almost all violent crime seems to be within a violent circle of people. I haven't had a problem but I try...to be vigilant whenever I'm out, say in the Quarter or the Marigny.
GOOD bartenders should make good money, I'm not sure you can tend bar and be under 21...but if you want to do it eventually...be more than just a rum and coke guy. Mojitos, Ramos Gin Fizz, Brandy Milk Punch...learn em all
Get a roomate its cheaper...live Uptown its safer.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:08 PM

I believe in Louisiana you can bartend at 18. Unless the city has a law of its own. Thank you for that post, it was really helpful.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:19 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,595,177 times
Yeah, but who is going to hire an 18 y/o bartender? I think there are trade schools/jr colleges that have courses to learn all the different drinks. That would put you at an advantage since you won't have any experience.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 PM

The nice thing about living in Minnesota is that in a town with a population of 2,000 we have about 10 bars. I'll probably apply to one of those after I turn 18. Hopefully after 6 months of experience, and a class on bartending, I'll be able to work somewhere nice.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM

I dunno...I do think if you can mix well...there are still a lot of **** poor bartenders in New Orleans who think a cocktail is a screwdriver and a beer is .99 Abita Amber, and that's all there is to being a bartender.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 PM

I promise I'll make good drinks. Haha.

Making things people enjoy is a passion of mine.

I was reading things about people getting mugged, not resisting, and getting shot and killed.
Why would people do this?
Is it common?

How does one deal with a situation like that?

I've visited the city before, it just has this charm and vibe to it that I've never felt before.
And I would risk my life to live there and try to be successful. I just need advice on how to deal with the criminals.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:16 AM

Its not common but I do have a rule that personally if you point a gun at me I will assume you intend to shoot me with it, so most people give up their belongings.

Some don't and sometimes the mugger runs away.
There is no hard and fast rule....I haven't been mugged but I've been in situations where I thought it could have happened had someone not walked up.

It is what it is...you want to die an old man or something in a suburban home called Shady Acres or do you want to LIVE!?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:49 AM

I was also reading something about uptown being in the 3rd ward. I hear this is a bad area with a lot of projects. Magnolia and Melphamine ect..

Would it be a good idea contact someone through craigslist about a roommate, or is that sketchy?

Thanks again for the responses.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:14 AM

19,866 posts, read 58,595,177 times
Uptown is not at all sketchy! Well, maybe some parts of it. Aside from the 7th Ward, people don't refer to wards much. And the thing about N.O. is that you can literally turn a corner on a block and go from mansions to poor. That's why it is so important to know where you are and what's around you. Check Craigslist and then post the area hjere - people will tell you if it's generally safe (no guarantees in life).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans