Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times

Advertisements

If you're going to stay in Metairie, you may as well bypass New Orleans all together. There's nothing to see or do in Metairie without getting in the car and driving into town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
One of the best places I ate in that general area was at Chinese Buffet in Gomez, LA. The food was awesome and there was plenty of it, If I remember correctly there was a bar.

We were back in the fall of 2006. The parking was dismal and nothing was going on even on Bourbon Street. I never did see public transportation.

I sincerely hope NOLA is on the move toward full recovery. It's a pretty city. While you are there stop a Walgreen's Drugs or gas station and grab a copy of The Times-Picayune. It is one of the few great newspapers left in America that is well written and edited. I never leave without one. http://www.nola.com/t-p/

Last edited by linicx; 07-08-2009 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: proper name

Old 07-08-2009, 12:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
go to the brewery at jackson square park in pd parking. go into cafe du monde and have some beigne and coffee then go upstairs in the brewery building watch the ships coming in and out listen to live cajun music and eat some poor boys, go out on the sidewalk watch the black kids tap dancing on the side walk and the street bands and mimes. watch your wallet and purse while in the crowd. crowds attract pickpockets. then get in the car and leave.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 AM

481 posts, read 942,913 times
Wow, thanks y'all so much. Micktooth, thank you for thinking about that option of staying outside NOLA just in case.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
There are several hotel/motels clustered around the intersection of I-10 and Causeway Blvd. in Metairie. You can hop on I-10 and be downtown in 15-45 min, depending on time of day. Depending on what you want to see, the front desk can give you a map and direcitons.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:36 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Why would she stay in Metairie?

If you go to New Orleans, just stay in the Quarter or in a walkable area...otherwise its a pain for someone to get up and try to figure out the city and where to park.

That's right. Anywhere in the Quarter is fine and safe up until about midnight or so. There's always a heavy police presence in the tourist areas because money gets protected. That's as true in the Quarter as anywhere else.

Stay in, or near, the Quarter and walk around. If you'd like to see other parts of the city, take the trolley. Don't miss Jackson Square and ride the river boat.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 AM

530 posts, read 2,624,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Why would she stay in Metairie?

If you go to New Orleans, just stay in the Quarter or in a walkable area...otherwise its a pain for someone to get up and try to figure out the city and where to park.
I suggested Metairie because the OP suggested staying near the highway and just driving into the city for the day. If I were traveling cross country with all of my belongings, I would be wary about staying in New Orleans proper too. Just my opinion, you might feel differently.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:50 PM

4 posts, read 16,073 times
To stretch your legs during your time in New Orleans, I'd suggest the Zoo, Audubon Park, City Park or if it's too hot, try one of the great museums

Old 07-22-2009, 12:41 PM

63 posts, read 564,741 times
Ok Cultured Mom this is what you should do. If you can afford it stay at the Hilton Riverside,Sheraton or Marriot in downtown New Orleans. Take a walk down decatur street and go to Cafe Dumond and have beignets and coffee. They also have hot chocolate,orange juice and milk. On the way down the street you will see St Louis Cathedral at Jackson Square. Walk back to Canal street and take the ferry to the west bank. Don't get off just ride it back across to the east bank. My children love the ferry. When you come back over you can go to the RiverWalk mall that is next to the Hilton Riverside hotel.
Have a seafood dinner at the restaruant in the Hilton or along Decatur street where Cafe Dumone is and make your way on to Florida. The mistakes tourist make are wearing Mardi Gras beads when it is NOT Mardi Gras which screams tourist and going in the wrong areas at night and wanting drugs and asking people for them and then taking a ride to go and get them. They are usually robbed. Also they walk the streets drunk. You will be safe here if you follow these rules. If you have any more questions you can email me at sisterlove808@hotmail.com or call 504 610 8117

Old 07-22-2009, 12:46 PM

63 posts, read 564,741 times
Oh I forgot to add. You can also ride the St.Charles street. Don't get off just ride it to the end and pay another fair and ride it again. I takes you from downtown to uptown and back. I rides past Tulane University and Loyola Univesities. You can get to see the beautiful houses that were built from the money made off of the backs of slaves. Sad but very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans