U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 PM

481 posts, read 854,799 times

Advertisements

My mom and I and my 2 kids are driving across country and one of the places we made sure to go through is New Orleans. We will only be there for one day and staying over the night then leaving the next morning, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a good recommendation for what they think is the one restaurant, place, hotel, etc. that we should make sure to do to get the essence of New Orleans? Neither of us have ever been to New Orleans. Safety is key for us, cause it will just be 2 women and 2 kids. I just didn't want to drive there completely ignorant and miss something great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 02:48 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,067,864 times
Lunch at Napoleon House is a good, cheap bet.

Napoleon House Bar & Café

Old 07-07-2009, 03:14 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,186,946 times
^^yes indeedy...

As far as hotels, are you thinking like Holiday Inn/Best Westernish...or like Hilton or Marriott?

If you like the latter two, there is a Hilton on Poydras Street and a Marriott on Canal Street.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:58 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,575,296 times
What time of year are you coming? In general, don't walk around after dark, wherever you are.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:47 PM

530 posts, read 2,461,991 times
There are some wonderful places to stay and things to do in NOLA, especially when it comes to food. However, a few words of caution. Make sure you know where you are going at all times. Neighborhoods change very quickly. Stay at a reputable hotel and DO NOT leave anything in your car overnight. Some relatives of mine were traveling cross country, spent the night in NOLA and woke up to find a lot of their belongings gone from their car Get good maps and plan ahead that is the key. You can have a great time in New Orleans but you do need to be well informed.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:42 PM

481 posts, read 854,799 times
Thanks everyone, that was some really good information. We are driving cross country because we are moving back to Florida from Arizona. I'm originally from Miami so I completely understand the safety issues. I'm thinking maybe we should stick close to the highway as far as hotels and maybe just venture into NO for some good food.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:35 PM

177 posts, read 740,323 times
You might want to check out the Drury on Poydras St. It's in a good area downtown within walking distance of most things and is relatively inexpensive. I would plan on taking a ride on the streetcar down St. Charles. You can also stroll down Magazine street and look at the antique shops. The French Quarter has numerous art shops. There's the aquarium at the foot of Canal, as well as a free ferry ride on the river that gives you a good look at the skyline and the riverfront. There's also the WWII museum and the Children's museum. A short cab ride can also get you to Mardi Gras world to see where they make floats for the parades.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:32 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,124,840 times
We stayed at the St. Louis hotel and the Provincial recently. Both are in the French Quarter, with the St. Louis being a little too close to Bourbon Street for me. We never felt unsafe at either one. These are more the "historic" type hotel, built around a central courtyard. Our room at the Provincial looked out on the Convent courtyard. It was a short walk to dining, shopping, and general people-watching. It was valet-parking only, though, due to the shortage of parking spaces in the French Quarter. As long as you pay attention to your surroundings, don't flash cash and don't wander where it is dark or deserted, you should be fine. We felt safe all over the French Quarter during the day, and stayed out of the dark areas at night.
We went to the Aquarium (very nice), did an evening "ghost tour" (fun) and a swamp tour (interesting, kinda hokey). If anyone says "I bet I can tell you where you got your shoes", WALK AWAY! (Ha!)

Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 AM

530 posts, read 2,461,991 times
If you are going to stay near the highway, I would recommend staying in Metairie, in Jefferson Parish which is before you get into the city proper. Then you can drive into the city and do what you would like. On the other hand, not to be a downer, but if you do not want to go into the city, you can stay on Interstate 12 just outside of Baton Rouge and bypass New Orleans traffic. It then merges back with I10 in Slidell,LA.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,067,864 times
Why would she stay in Metairie?

If you go to New Orleans, just stay in the Quarter or in a walkable area...otherwise its a pain for someone to get up and try to figure out the city and where to park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or