U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,718 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I moved to new orleans a month ago and live in the Marigny. Are there any Apartment rules or regulations that landlords have to go by?

Our apartment has gaps between the window seals and actual apartment building. We are having a huge insect and believe rodent problem in our apartment . We also discovered a huge hole in the ceiling in one of the closets. I also don't want to open the windows because the screens aren't the proper size of the window.

This has to be the worst living condition i've ever lived in.

Does anyone have advice on how to take care of this problem. I will definitely talk the landlord. but am fearful she'll give me the run around.

I unfortunately am tied to a 1 year lease..
email: danielabella06@gmail.com

Last edited by danielabella06; 07-11-2009 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:43 PM

54 posts, read 266,287 times
If you can’t work it out, Louisiana landlord-tenant law gives you certain rights. An attorney would be helpful if it comes to that.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,718 times
Thank you very much! looks like i have a lot of research to do!

Old 07-11-2009, 11:01 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,068,048 times
I'd say your problems aren't uncommon.

My place was like that but some drywall, one new door and a lot of Bengal roach spray and its fine. Don't expect miracles...I get roaches and lizards in here on occasion (it was far worse when I moved in). It's rental property that's quite old.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,639,665 times
Lol, everyone here has a bug problem. I don't know what bug problems you are having, little roaches vs. big flying roaches, spiders, or ants. I will say that if it's spiders and lizards leave em alone because they eat the skeeters, make sure you don't have any brown recluses The Official Brown Recluse Spider, you will have some real problems if one gets you. The little roaches are fixable, Prytania mentioned Bengal roach spray, (people here swear by the stuff), I like the Bengal to kill what I can see, and I also put down that Combat Platinum Gel as a back up plan. Mama used boric acid in baby food lids under the sinks when we were little. Get those ant traps for any ant problems. As for the big roaches, (Toupsee's favorite thing), you are stuck with em, they come in from outside all the time, you can either sweep em out the door or Bangle them.

My son had a run in with a landlord with a place near the Lakefront. The landlord had no official utility hook ups and when the water and electricity went off he blamed the tenents for not paying their bills. When son called the utility companies they said the hook ups were illegal. He went to some group for advice and legal help, (I'll ask him who it was when he wakes up this evening for work and post back later tonight or tomorrow AM.), and they were able to break the lease, but he never got his deposit back. I'm not sure how much help this group will be, but in the meantime, put some of those metal dish scrubby thingies in your gap under the window to help with keeping the bugs out, and tape some plastic sheeting over the hole in your closet.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:23 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,582,620 times
My house in Metaire, which was well-constructed in a good area, always had roaches - tiny ones that I think came in through groceries and the big flying ones which were bad when it rained hard. I had a monthly pest control service and it helped the little ones, so I might see one or two per month - and they were slow so I assume they were dying before I whacked them. The big ones cannot be stopped, just killed. The worst thing is when you wake up to find one nibbling on your hand cream, ON your hand!

Old 07-12-2009, 05:21 PM

21 posts, read 91,352 times
Did you look at the apartment before you rented it. Were these problems hidden? I know we do always look at the window screens, but shouldn't a hole in the ceiling have been obvious. Alot of this stuff is problems we all work out on our own as tenants in old buildings. Duck tape and steel wool are good for helping keep rodents out. Just stuff the steel wool in the cracks and cover it up with duck tape ( you can use duck tape for so many things). t comes in colors if you don't want the silver.

Alot depends on how much you like where you live. Is it convenient to your work? Have you made friends? Can you find another place that is better for the same or less amount of rent? If you like where you are then get some Bengal, get some Combat, and get some mouse traps and join the rest of us in NOLA who are willing to battle the bugs.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:44 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,639,665 times
Well, my son called this morning, and he said that he went to legal aid for help with his situation. He also said that to qualify your income needs to be under 20k a year. It doesn't sound like that is going to be much help in your situation. Best wishes and good luck with the landlady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans