Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 AM

58 posts, read 199,690 times

Advertisements

This could be a blessing for the Gulf Coast....

This morning on the Today Show, there was a report that Bill Gates and several scientists have come up with an idea to stop hurricanes. They are proposing to place several thousand pumps throughout the Gulf of Mexico and in the Atlantic, that will pump cooler water from the lower sea levels and bring it to the surface to weaken hurricanes when they occur. Keep in mind, this is only an idea that they are testing in labortories. They did say that by doing this, there is a possibility that it could have an effect on the weather worldwide.

Who will fund this? They won't say, but some believe that the insurance companies will help fund this venture. Do you think that Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, etc.... state governements should chip in?

Do you think that this will be a good idea, or are they playing God as some would say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Seems too risky. Better the devil you know than the one you don't. I would be afraid of world-wide climate change for the worse.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:24 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
It's been on the local news all week. From what they're saying, the risks out weigh the benefits and the cost to build, move, and maintain the large tubs would be huge.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:34 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,234 times
It wouldn't stop the hurricanes as much as attempt to weaken the storms.

I say go for it....especially with a Cat 5 storm headed for a large population center.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:46 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
I would not mess with mother nature.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
It sounds all well and good. But I'm worried it would mess up the fragile eco-systems in the ocean.

We have already learned that controlling nature does not work well (Look at what putting levees everywhere has done to the delta). The smartest, cheapest thing we can do is to conform our lives so that we can accomadate nature. In New Orleans, newer construction needs to have a ground floor garage/storage area, and have living areas on upper floors.

The Corps of Engineers is never going to give Louisiana the protection it needs, and until they do, floodwalls and levees will continue to fail or be overtopped. We might as well be on our own because the Corps does not care, and Washington does not care.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 PM

I don't think its messing with the eco-system as much as it displaces the heat in the SSTs opting to dredge cooler water just beneath the surface of the ocean.
SSTs feed storms but in many cases the water which is warmed by the weather in most cases, is only hot at the surface.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
This is a very bad idea. Hurricanes exist as a balancing force, displacing large quantities of heat. All that heat has to go somewhere. The coolr water will also kill off and relocate many species of fish and shellfish that the Gulf coast fisheries depend on. This is an all around stupid idea. Im surprised that supposedly intelligent people thought this up.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:26 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I don't think its messing with the eco-system as much as it displaces the heat in the SSTs opting to dredge cooler water just beneath the surface of the ocean.
SSTs feed storms but in many cases the water which is warmed by the weather in most cases, is only hot at the surface.
Exactly, and you are pushing that hot water deep into the ocean. It is a very fragile eco-system.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:32 PM

If it means knocking a Cat 5 down, I'm all for it.

Besides the Mississippi River creates a huge dead zone in the Gulf.
Clean that up and then I might be interested in a fragile eco system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans