U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 PM

4,891 posts, read 9,546,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juana_the_piranha View Post
Oh my gosh....
Thanks, y'all.
That's so cute!

Some people just sound plain- ol- nice!
I accidentally clicked on this section.

Anywho----You people are always so nice here.

Thats all I got.
Carry on.........................................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:40 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,611,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Betcha Chalmette could get you in and out the fastest though.
Shhhhh; don't let that secret out; we'd like to keep it that way .

Old 09-05-2011, 06:50 PM

218 posts, read 757,830 times
Does anyone know if LA has any kind of reciprocity deal with VA? I'm most likely going to have to register my car in the next few months (I know, 30 days...) and I'm just trying to estimate how much it's going to cost me. I have a 2001 Honda Civic which is probably worth about $7,000 from a dealership, and I just can't even fathom paying $700 (if it ends up being around 9% + fees) to register my car. Are people driving $25,000 cars really paying over two thousand bucks for registration?!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:26 PM

310 posts, read 768,799 times
It's only if you're registering your car for the first time in LA and is based on fair market value. I paid over $800 for my 2006 Ford Focus when I moved it here from Indiana 5 years ago, but every registration after that has only been around $26. It's a one time hit that sucks. I don't know what states have reciprocity, but I believe you still have to pay up front and credit will be applied against your taxes.

Yes, if you bring in an expensive car from out of state, you'll get hit with paying really high initial taxes.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,332,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
Does anyone know if LA has any kind of reciprocity deal with VA? I'm most likely going to have to register my car in the next few months (I know, 30 days...) and I'm just trying to estimate how much it's going to cost me. I have a 2001 Honda Civic which is probably worth about $7,000 from a dealership, and I just can't even fathom paying $700 (if it ends up being around 9% + fees) to register my car. Are people driving $25,000 cars really paying over two thousand bucks for registration?!
You get a 3% credit.

If I go out and buy a $25,000 car, the normal sales tax should come to $2,250. The dealership would foward that $2,250 to the DMV and in exchange I'd get a license plate. The actual registration is only $10 a year.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:14 PM

218 posts, read 757,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
You get a 3% credit.

If I go out and buy a $25,000 car, the normal sales tax should come to $2,250. The dealership would foward that $2,250 to the DMV and in exchange I'd get a license plate. The actual registration is only $10 a year.

So basically I'll pay 6% on the worth of the car, correct? Is that on the price I paid for it, or what blue book says it's worth? I got a great deal from a private seller for $4600 back in Virginia about a year ago, but earlier today I looked at the blue book value if bought from a dealership and it's right at $7,000. Thanks for the info, I've been stressing about this for a while now.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,354,117 times
Quote:
So basically I'll pay 6% on the worth of the car, correct? Is that on the price I paid for it, or what blue book says it's worth? I got a great deal from a private seller for $4600 back in Virginia about a year ago, but earlier today I looked at the blue book value if bought from a dealership and it's right at $7,000. Thanks for the info, I've been stressing about this for a while now.
Should be based on purchase price, can possibly also claim some depreciation. Wouldn't make sense to charge somebody 2,000 on an Accord they bought new 15 years ago, but this IS the government we're talking about.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:21 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,332,480 times
Quote:
If I were you I'd take the bill of sale with me with the price you paid for it and try my luck. You might have a better chance if you go to an independent, licensed by the state, license plate agent (Wal-Mart, ABC Title, Insurance agent, etc.) instead of going directly to the DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans