U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:37 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,149,277 times

Advertisements

New Orleans has already been a boom town. From the early days until desegregation and white flight in the 1960's, New Orleans was a powerful force to be reckoned with. When the white population dipped below 40%, public schools went down the tube and crime and poverty took over huge swaths of the city.

What makes me mad is that (imo) before Katrina the city had found a good balance. For the most part, the people that wanted to be there were there, and the people who did not want to be there were not. The city was shrinking at the slowest rate since the "exodus" began about 40 years earlier.

The one good thing about Katrina is that the census information for several years to come will look much better as those people who want to be there trickle back in and the figures go up instead of down for the first time in decades...But who knows how long it will take to rebuild the peace of mind (if it is even possible)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 05:40 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,150,628 times
To all readers:

There is a new attitude in New Orleans, we can worship the past but lets move forward. I just love to read how the young EP are kicking butt and turning the city around. NOLA , thinking positive is the first step

Old 07-24-2009, 10:38 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,049,265 times
Well I worship the past to some degree but I think these EPs and others (and I hope to include myself in this) would say history is great, making history is better.

I want people 50 years from now talking about those who dared to risk their fortunes and their careers on New Orleans....and how the risk paid off.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:57 AM

292 posts, read 807,262 times
Even with all the decay it has experienced in the past few decades, New Orleans is still one of the most charming large cities in America, and I would love to see it come back in a big way. But I just don't see it happening.

In order for New Orleans to boom, corporations will have to start moving there. Big corporations. With crime in New Orleans being what it is now, and with the serious threat of a big storm disrupting company operations for months or even years, I see almost no chance of those corporations coming in.

What made New Orleans a great city was that it was the ultimate river city. Nowdays, with so much freight moving by air, truck and rail, being a river city isn't what it used to be. Atlanta, Phoenix, and Dallas, three of the biggest boomers of our time, have almost zero river transportation.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:04 AM

Big corps don't need to move here, small tech companies here will grow...

And storms are just as much of a threat to Tampa or Miami...flooding or not, a Cat 3-5 surge comes ashore and there will be massive devastation in any city hit by a storm.

We don't have time for pessimism anymore.
As for Atlanta, Dallas...you think oil is going to last forever?

Old 07-24-2009, 03:07 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,869,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
Even with all the decay it has experienced in the past few decades, New Orleans is still one of the most charming large cities in America, and I would love to see it come back in a big way. But I just don't see it happening.

In order for New Orleans to boom, corporations will have to start moving there. Big corporations. With crime in New Orleans being what it is now, and with the serious threat of a big storm disrupting company operations for months or even years, I see almost no chance of those corporations coming in.

What made New Orleans a great city was that it was the ultimate river city. Nowdays, with so much freight moving by air, truck and rail, being a river city isn't what it used to be. Atlanta, Phoenix, and Dallas, three of the biggest boomers of our time, have almost zero river transportation.
You are thinking both in the past and out of context.
First of all, speaking on transportation, New Orleans is pretty exceptionally well positioned for rail, both passenger and freight. The airport isn't terribly small relative to the population of the area it serves. Most cities with around a million people, even cities with upwards of two, usually don't have more than one flight to Europe (at that). What is more important is that you are getting more flights and not fewer. Mexico City, maybe Toronto. If you haven't noticed, air travel is not doing particularly great. There isn't alot of promise that it will get better either. New Orleans has good service from interstates. Not any better or worse than any other city. It isn't making or breaking the city. Plus, when gas is $4 again, every city on a river will be thankful for it. When you say "biggest boomers of our time", please remember how vulnerable that time is. Phoenix is not a city built for the future, New Orleans (with minor changes) is.
Crime is a transient, impermanent thing. Ten years ago, I lived in a Minneapolis with nearly 100 murders. This year, thus far, we have had 6. New York went from a crack-infested hell-hole worse than anything in New Orleans to one of the safest cities in America -- in less than 20 years. Companies don't plan for natural disasters. If so, the Silicon Valley would be in Utah, Hollywood would be in Pennsylvania and Microsoft would be headquartered in Chicago. New Orleans's sort of natural disasters are actually some of the easiest to mitigate. You just need better levees. How is Seattle going to predict its apocalyptic earthquake?
New Orleans doesn't need big corporations, it needs smart corporations and adventurous people. Big corporations took a middle-class Detroit and turned it into a ghetto Detroit. Most people aren't employed by big corporations anyways.
Think, instead, of how New Orleans is particularly well-positioned to adapt to the new sorts of economies that all American cities will have to learn to adapt to. The city doesn't sprawl, the city is highly walkable and compact (even, relatively, in its suburban areas). The city lies surprisingly close to the natural resources that any city depends on. It has some top universities and a water supply that the other cities you mentioned will be jealous of.
New Orleans does need help to become more competitive. Better schools, less crime, cheaper housing, stronger port facilities and levees, more reliable public transportation and port facilities and more wetlands with fewer political hacks. Better schools and crime are just as easy to solve in N.O. as they will be in Chicago. Cheaper housing is simple compared to Boston. Guess how pleasant Houston will be when gas is too expensive to the laymen. Transportation is easy in New Orleans, not so much in Los Angeles. It sounds like a daunting task, but other cities will have many more problems that will be much more difficult to solve when the system they rely on goes bust. New Orleans has always kinda chosen to be on the edge of that system, and it will eventually pay off like nobody would believe.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:15 PM

887 posts, read 2,707,926 times
Great post!

Old 07-24-2009, 06:37 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,334,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
You are thinking both in the past and out of context.
First of all, speaking on transportation, New Orleans is pretty exceptionally well positioned for rail, both passenger and freight. The airport isn't terribly small relative to the population of the area it serves. Most cities with around a million people, even cities with upwards of two, usually don't have more than one flight to Europe (at that). What is more important is that you are getting more flights and not fewer. Mexico City, maybe Toronto. If you haven't noticed, air travel is not doing particularly great. There isn't alot of promise that it will get better either. New Orleans has good service from interstates. Not any better or worse than any other city. It isn't making or breaking the city. Plus, when gas is $4 again, every city on a river will be thankful for it. When you say "biggest boomers of our time", please remember how vulnerable that time is. Phoenix is not a city built for the future, New Orleans (with minor changes) is.
Crime is a transient, impermanent thing. Ten years ago, I lived in a Minneapolis with nearly 100 murders. This year, thus far, we have had 6. New York went from a crack-infested hell-hole worse than anything in New Orleans to one of the safest cities in America -- in less than 20 years. Companies don't plan for natural disasters. If so, the Silicon Valley would be in Utah, Hollywood would be in Pennsylvania and Microsoft would be headquartered in Chicago. New Orleans's sort of natural disasters are actually some of the easiest to mitigate. You just need better levees. How is Seattle going to predict its apocalyptic earthquake?
New Orleans doesn't need big corporations, it needs smart corporations and adventurous people. Big corporations took a middle-class Detroit and turned it into a ghetto Detroit. Most people aren't employed by big corporations anyways.
Think, instead, of how New Orleans is particularly well-positioned to adapt to the new sorts of economies that all American cities will have to learn to adapt to. The city doesn't sprawl, the city is highly walkable and compact (even, relatively, in its suburban areas). The city lies surprisingly close to the natural resources that any city depends on. It has some top universities and a water supply that the other cities you mentioned will be jealous of.
New Orleans does need help to become more competitive. Better schools, less crime, cheaper housing, stronger port facilities and levees, more reliable public transportation and port facilities and more wetlands with fewer political hacks. Better schools and crime are just as easy to solve in N.O. as they will be in Chicago. Cheaper housing is simple compared to Boston. Guess how pleasant Houston will be when gas is too expensive to the laymen. Transportation is easy in New Orleans, not so much in Los Angeles. It sounds like a daunting task, but other cities will have many more problems that will be much more difficult to solve when the system they rely on goes bust. New Orleans has always kinda chosen to be on the edge of that system, and it will eventually pay off like nobody would believe.
co-sign

Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 PM

126 posts, read 428,068 times
New Orleans is fine....we are coming back strongly and we are not a declining area. The city got hurt with Katrina bad, but, it is rebounding. Just before Katrina in the prior 3 or 4 years, the population of the City of New Orleans actually reversed and the city, again, began to increase in population. New Orleans IS. It's solid as a rock and has a very strong inner core. It is why we are coming back so strong. Now, as far as explosive growth...DON'T WANT IT. I want my city and the area to come back and it is, but, leave the big growth to the cookie cutter cities of America like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, and so many more. They are all ALIKE. We are unique. Listen, more people means nothing these days except more pollution and damage to our already fragile environment. Leave it to the other cities. They are already destroying their own environments. I have a decent job....it would pay me no more and no less if New Orleans had 1.3 million or 8.3 million people. We have a good thing going in New Orleans and those that move here, generally fit in and appreciate this city for what it is and grasps the culture. We don't need a bunch of bland, average Americans moving in here and trying to intermingle with something (our way of life) that they would never, in a lifetime, understand. Leave them in Atlanta, Houston, Austin, Charlotte, Denver, Minneapolis, Kansas City, and the rest of the plain places. I'm serious. I want growth, but, let it happen at the pace we like--slow, steady, and solid. I want neighbors that suck the heads of crawfish.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:38 AM

What is with the hate people have for New Orleans anyhow? I posted this article link in a business forum and 3/4th of the replies consist of screw that city, its going to be destroyed....Detroit is nicer, uninformed comments about the lack of universities, etc and so forth.

Are people that afraid of a place that is that different from "middle America'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans