U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 AM

4 posts, read 7,872 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My gf and I will be traveling to New Orleans in December to celebrate New Years Eve.

Just a little background--neither of us have ever been to New Orleans before, and we both love art, food, and having a good time. We are lesbians so in addition to everything else we are also looking to find fun gay (that sounds funny ) things to do as well.

Tell me all the favorite things you do or the favorite places you would take someone visiting who has never been before.

Also do we need to rent a car? We are going to be staying at a bed and breakfast near the French Quarter and because I don't know what we are going to be doing exactly (where you all come in ) don't know if I will need wheels.

Thank you sooo much for reading and posting!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 AM

530 posts, read 2,451,753 times
The French Quarter is a great place to celebrate New Years Eve. Just a few words of caution though. NEVER walk outside of the Quarter if you don't know where you are going. Another thing to be aware of, some people in New Orleans like to celebrate by firing their guns in the air! Bullets have to fall and every year people are hit. There has been a crack down lately, but unfortunately it still happens. Several years ago, a young lady celebrating in the Quarter was killed by a falling bullet. Bottom line, have fun but do your planing and always know where you are going.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:53 AM

Wow scary, but thank you for the advice!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM

104 posts, read 436,284 times
I would think some glbt forums would have some insights on your questions; how long are you staying? I ask, because you need to alot time for attractions outside the tourist traps. the quarter is definitely worth checking out... if you use the search engine, you'll no doubt find better suggestions, but stuff (just random thoughts) I would do:
beignets and coffee at café du monde. check out jackson square and central grocery, but get your muffaletta and a drink at napolean house (go back to central grocery to buy your olive salad if you like)
ride across river on algiers ferry (then ride right back)
preservation hall if you want music in the quarter, otherwise head to marigny

some of the grand old hotels have re-opened (or never closed) and have nice bars/interiors

dancing/clubbing definitely more in the quarter (pretty big gay community down there)

uptown architecture (garden district) and street car ride

live music, but outside the quarter

food, food, food, but not necessarily in the quarter or in the fancy places.

I dunno. again think you might find better info on a glbt forum and a good guide book, and since I'm not living in nola these days, resto's can change.

actually a touristy thing to do that is not all that bad is the buggy tour.. no flames, please.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:27 PM

Forgot to mention the length of time, we are staying for a week. One other thing too, how is the weather during that time of year?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:44 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,798,545 times
Louisiana weather is a subject in itself . It seems like it always rains on New Years night . Should be mild though . Depends on the cold fronts . If you decide to drive , get yourself some GOOD maps . Use Mapquest or something similar . N.O. is no place to get lost .

Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 PM

22 posts, read 86,158 times
As someone who has been a driver in NYC, Philly, Boston, etc., I find it pretty the city easily navigable. The layout of the city is simple (and sensible!) compared to others. It's pretty hard to get lost with a simple map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans