U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:22 AM

205 posts, read 543,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I wouldn't say recovery is on a fast track but it is coming along. Some areas faster than others. Sadly, a few areas look like they've hardly been touched.

Other than the neighborhoods that haven't gotten the attention they need, mostly everything else has improved except for crime.
People are growing tired of the city govt. Streets are actually being redone. The city run and charter schools are gradually improving while the state run district is at least trying. A steady flow of peolple are returning and rebuilding. The average tourist would never know Katrina came through. Because of the storm the effect of the national economy on the area was small. There are quite a few new construction projects going on around the city although cranes don't dot the sky like many hoped. The current administration is on it's way out and hopefully the we can elect a the right person next year. There has been an increase in small start-up companies and entreprenuers relocating to the area in the last 2 years. The only thing needed is affordable housing that is available to the general pop. and not just the low income.

Sadly, crime is holding steady.

I don't think New Orleans can ever be normal in the Pre-K sense. I don't know even know what would be considered normal after Katrina.
It's a shame what happened to your beautiful, historical and cultured city.
It's more than a shame, it's inexcusable.
It breaks my heart every time i think of the devastation which could have been avoided, but I won't broach that topic.
Hopefully NO will be back to normal sooner than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 11:31 AM

767 posts, read 1,864,044 times
I just got back from New Orleans yesterday. It was my first time there since the flood. My impression was that the quarter and surrounding areas are up and running strong. However, I talked to some people who told me that parts of the 9th ward and a few other areas of the city are still virtual disaster areas.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:08 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,761,607 times
I have been reading and seeing on TV that Brad Pitt has been promoting some new housing in NO with the help of the architect that designed the Guiggenheim Museum. Is this for low or middle income?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,148,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
I just got back from New Orleans yesterday. It was my first time there since the flood. My impression was that the quarter and surrounding areas are up and running strong. However, I talked to some people who told me that parts of the 9th ward and a few other areas of the city are still virtual disaster areas.
Yes the areas that don't have the money are struggling the most. For instance, in Lakeview, one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city, got water up to the roof on most houses. Now I'd venture to guess that about a third of the housing stock has been completely restored, a third was torn down, and a third remains vacant or in transistion. Things have not moved along as quickly in the lower ninth. Much of the neighborhood was virtually bulldozed because few of the people who lived there had the money to rebuild, and nobody with the money was interested in investing there.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:36 PM

734 posts, read 1,447,653 times
I was in New Orleans during Memorial Day, and the French Quarter and the waterfront areas is just like what it was before Katrina, maybe even better. A lot of people still think that the New Orleans area is barely recognizable, but it is not.

The suburbs going on I-10 are a little bit iffy (except Jefferson Parish), but it is a nice city. The airport still hasn't recovered, as they don't have any international flights (they did before the storm). It will come back to larger than what it was before in 18 months.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:58 PM

14,089 posts, read 24,223,274 times
I always thought it was a sad statement of New Orleans that the first business to open it's doors after Katrina was a bar. Our whole state needs to get over this alcohol problem it has. We don't need booze to celebrate or bbq. We especially don't need drive thru daquiri huts and such businesses should never have been made legal. Get rid of them, strictly enforce DWI laws and penalties, and increase penalties on repeat offenders and then maybe our auto insurance rates will finally go down. My godfather, my mom's younger brother, is in jail now. We lost count of his DWIs. This time he was caught with booze in hand, empty on floor, and a joint. He was high and drunk while driving. None of the family is stepping forward to bail him out.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:33 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,148,863 times
Well, Sailor, considering that a great majority of bars went unflooded, I'm not shocked.

And if you were put into the situation of being stranded in what was basically hell on earth, you might want a drink, too. This thread was supposed to be about progress, but you succesfully made it into something ugly. Congratulations!

Old 08-14-2009, 10:35 PM

582 posts, read 559,097 times
And people want the same government that handled Katrina to handle health care???

Old 08-14-2009, 10:52 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,333,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
And people want the same government that handled Katrina to handle health care???
Actually we don't, but the choices are slim... There are several interested parties that want to get something done, but the State and LSU seem determined to stay in control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I always thought it was a sad statement of New Orleans that the first business to open it's doors after Katrina was a bar.
Well the bars were the only thing left standing on dry land.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:57 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,048,945 times
There is nothing wrong with a good bar on high ground. Just because the rest of America doesn't get it...doesn't mean its wrong.

I believe I read in school at one point during the 1700s (late) there were more drinking establishments in New Orleans than in all of the new American nation.
It's what we do...and we do it well.

And I think the healthcare comment was directed by National healthcare reform (which I support!) not state/LSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or