Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:33 PM
EMJ EMJ started this thread

2 posts, read 10,838 times

Advertisements

Hi I was thinking of moving to New Orleans this fall.

I have a BA and a paralegal certificate.

Is it hard to find a job?

I want to rent for a while and pay around $600.00 can I find a decent place to live in that price range?

What about crime is it bad.

Do you have any suggestions that is a good place to live?

Shopping, public transportation, night life not really into the bar scene?
Park, Bike riding.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:31 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,290,879 times
For paralegals it shouldn't be TOO hard but you may not make a lot at first if you don't have a lot of experience (I have paralegal friends).
You can live for $600 in Metairie...I pay $700 and live Uptown. Crime is crime...99% of it isn't random, it's drug related or revenge type killing...but I haven't ever had a problem myself. However how to perceive crime will depend on who you talk to, I know people in Metairie who will tell you living in the city is a death sentence. Obviously I don't think so, after all thousands of college kids live here and they aren't being carted off into the night.
Park=Audubon Park
Biking; Audubon Park, Mississippi River levee or Lakefront
Shopping: Trendy, Magazine Street. Mall: Lakeside Mall in Metairie
Night life: best bet is to find local bands you enjoy...or take advantage of the many festivals in town. I'm not into the bars myself...but there are dive bars...however there are dive bars with good jazz music...there is no hard and fast rule on what is good and bad. YOu just have to hunt around on any given evening.

I'll say this, if you can afford it...I'd live in New Orleans itself...not Metairie. Especially if you are younger. I like my Metry friends...but we need more good voters in Orleans Parish, and I think you will regret not trying New Orleans out as well.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 6,011 times
There are so many law firms in the New Orleans area, you shouldn't have a problem finding a job. I used to work at a couple of law firms, and they loved hiring Paralegals with degrees.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,103,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMJ View Post
Hi I was thinking of moving to New Orleans this fall.

I have a BA and a paralegal certificate.

Is it hard to find a job?

I want to rent for a while and pay around $600.00 can I find a decent place to live in that price range?

What about crime is it bad.

Do you have any suggestions that is a good place to live?

Shopping, public transportation, night life not really into the bar scene?
Park, Bike riding.

Yes, i too want to move to new orleans. I was there in January 167.00 dollars round trip. Stayed in a youth hostel for 25 dollars per night and had a blast. All I did was just walk around the city and take the ferry ride! The housing is fantastic, especially if you can afford a home. Many bargains!! For renting, it is normal price for renting in a city! Wide ranges depending on where you want to live. Go on Craigs list and start looking and saving!
good luck!

p.s. The housing and a fun city is the easy part! finding a job will be pretty hard and the employers are cheap, based on my review on craigs list! Yes, of course there is crime, but since i come from philadelphia, I t hink i coud deal easily. Also, don't walk around after dark, by yourself! Since it is not a walking city except for major holidays. It is a beautiful and interesting city to walk around, but everyone appears to prefer to drive. So, i.e., not safe to walk around after dark!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:43 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,582,737 times
A safe neighborhood at $600 is not going to be easy.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM

16 posts, read 55,380 times
if you're not from New Orleans then you don't know how New Orleans is(well Louisiana in a whole) the MOST corrupted state in the United States I was born in New Orleans East and moved to Mandeville, LA when I was 4 and for that reason because people were getting SHOT..EVERYDAY look it up on the internet it's called New Orleans White Flock--> http://www.davidduke.com/general/african-american-mayor-of-new-orleans-says-new-orleans-must-be-chocolate-again_492.html..ray (broken link) nagin is one of the most corrupted people in Louisiana and RACIST..New Orleans is not liveable enless your black I am being honest call it what you want, but 3 of my friends from michigan noticed it when they moved in new orleans..honestly your best bet if you REALLY must move to this state move to mandeville and take the causeway to work(causeway goes to metairie) you should find a decent paralegal job there..or maybe move to slidell and work in new orleans..southern belleinutah is sure right you wont find ANYTHING safe for that price (even if you did I would NEVER move there) thats why they call it the worst city for crime in the world...you'll see what i'm talking about lol =] good luck

Old 04-13-2009, 10:52 PM

Moderator cut: personal attack I live in the city, love living here...and no problems Uptown at all.
Besides only people who have stayed should have the right to complain because we did, and we vote (Cao in Congress, Stacy Head for Council, etc)

Last edited by leorah; 04-15-2009 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: TOS violation: personal attack

Old 04-14-2009, 11:20 PM

26 posts, read 52,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvme504 View Post
if you're not from New Orleans then you don't know how New Orleans is(well Louisiana in a whole) the MOST corrupted state in the United States I was born in New Orleans East and moved to Mandeville, LA when I was 4 and for that reason because people were getting SHOT..EVERYDAY look it up on the internet it's called New Orleans White Flock--> http://www.davidduke.com/general/african-american-mayor-of-new-orleans-says-new-orleans-must-be-chocolate-again_492.html..ray (broken link) nagin is one of the most corrupted people in Louisiana and RACIST..New Orleans is not liveable enless your black I am being honest call it what you want, but 3 of my friends from michigan noticed it when they moved in new orleans..honestly your best bet if you REALLY must move to this state move to mandeville and take the causeway to work(causeway goes to metairie) you should find a decent paralegal job there..or maybe move to slidell and work in new orleans..southern belleinutah is sure right you wont find ANYTHING safe for that price (even if you did I would NEVER move there) thats why they call it the worst city for crime in the world...you'll see what i'm talking about lol =] good luck
I must agree with the about poster. I lived there for 19years and now I currently have made Miami my home. I usually visit New Orleans once and year and nothing has changed. Everything is run down, the people are still poor, racist, and there are no jobs. Trust me with all the places to move like Houston and Atlanta who would you go to New Orleans. Its even worst now then before. There are more murders and gangs now than ever. I thought New Orleans was the best city when growing up. Even with the crime. Now, after living in Miami for 3 years and enjoying the mixed culture, food, money, and views now I see what a run down hole New Orleans is. I would never recommend anyone to move there. Murders is all you see on the news.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 AM

I guess that explains all the thousands of new young professionals in the area, and the fact that Tulane had 40,000 applications for this fall, or the fact that we have a functional city council, and Bill Jefferson is out as Congressman.
New VA Hospital, new LSU Hospital on the way, Tulane Ave. has construction up and down the street, etc.
If you don't live here after Katrina you simply do not know what is going on...everything has changed since Katrina. People are angry, and they are politically active.

The only difference between New Orleans and many other cities is the problems are more apparent. Other cities hide their ghettos, here you can be in the heart of a nice neighborhood, and two blocks over you have blight.
I wouldn't call Miami a nice place to live myself either.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:25 AM

26 posts, read 52,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I guess that explains all the thousands of new young professionals in the area, and the fact that Tulane had 40,000 applications for this fall, or the fact that we have a functional city council, and Bill Jefferson is out as Congressman.
New VA Hospital, new LSU Hospital on the way, Tulane Ave. has construction up and down the street, etc.
If you don't live here after Katrina you simply do not know what is going on...everything has changed since Katrina. People are angry, and they are politically active.

The only difference between New Orleans and many other cities is the problems are more apparent. Other cities hide their ghettos, here you can be in the heart of a nice neighborhood, and two blocks over you have blight.
I wouldn't call Miami a nice place to live myself either.
Maybe because you are New Orleans bound. New Orleans is not built on success. When have you heard anything good about Louisiana in general besides Mardi Gras? All I heard is murder, crime, and corruption. Oh yeah and the pos police department. 40k applications mean nothing. Look at the states of your most successful people in the untied states. You wont see any from New Orleans. Tulane is a joke compared to the colleges like UM and Gainsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans