Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 40,986 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've lived in Colorado all my life and my husband sets modular homes. His boss got a call yesterday that may change our lives completely. A company has offered him the job of setting up a 6400 home community in New Orleans. Nothing definate yet but just trying to scope out some information. Could anyone comment on the integrity of the city? How big it is, house prices, weather, schools, crime rates, good vs. bad parts of town, etc. I have a young son and another on the way and we have 4 dogs... my family is my life and I just want to be totally prepared should we have to move.

Thanks so much!

Old 04-26-2007, 01:23 PM

424 posts, read 1,810,690 times
Default Feedback on N.O

Tough decision. I am not from Louisiana. I am from Minnesota and have a quick story about New Orleans. My brother in law was there on business. He ate at the restaraunt across from his hotel. On his way back crossing the street, 2 males jumped him from behind, wanted his wallet. He gave him his wallet and they proceeded the kick him in the head, the stomach and hold a gun to his head. Meanwhile he was trying to tell them to take the money out of his pocket also. He was so beaten up, the hotel did not say anything except they can't get involved. The police didn't care. He had to have help boarding the airplane because his face was so swelled he couldn't see.

Another friend of mine got his wallet pickpocketed. On the same trip, his car windows were beat in.

I personally have a hard time justifying rebuilding that crappy city with our tax dollars. Most of the good people have moved on or moved to a different city. Sorry if I have offended any good people that live there. I feel for ya'll.

Those are the only 2 people I know that have visited there. Both have very bad stories. Not very good for the tourism industry.

Good luck with your decision to move there. You're right, it may be life changing. I'm sure there are good places to live outside of N.O. Home is what you make of it...but be careful where you choose your home.

Sorry for the bad stories. I just had to share them because you seem like a nice person.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:33 PM

530 posts, read 2,617,623 times
Hi Momma,Last year I did the opposite move, I left New Orleans and moved to Colorado! I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. New Orleans is a very unique city. The people in NOLA hold on to their beliefs and traditions through thick and thin. This has seemed to hurt the city in its recovery from Katrina. "It's always been this way", etc. is a common theme. New Orleans can be a racist community, not everyone of course, but a lot of white people don't trust blacks and vice versa. The population of the city proper has gone down a lot since Katrina but suberbs such as Jefferson Parish to the west and St Tammany Parish to the north have grown. I would recommend living in one of these communities. Metairie and River Ridge in Jefferson, or better yet, Covington or Mandiville in ST Tammany (which is a long drive across the Lake to NOLA). We had to have our children in private schools when we lived there frankly because the education system stinks. You can expect to pay 8-15K per year depending on what type of private school you want. The weather is extremely hot and humid in the summer and most of the rest of the year. Of course, there is always the threat of hurricanes every year. The crime rate in NOLA is out of control. New Orleans is a city comprised of "streets" and not "neighborhoods" per se. Therefore, you always have to be careful where you are or are going. I would not recommend living anywhere on the "west bank" of the River. NEVER go into any areas you are not familiar with. Honestly, since you state that your family is your life, you might want to think twice about leaving CO for NOLA. Can your husband work there temporarily? It is like night and day compared to our life in CO. New Orleans is a beautiful city. However, it has fallen upon some sad and desperate times as of late. You have to decide if it is best for your family to be part of the recovery or not. Good luck in your decision and let me know how else I can help you.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaJS View Post
Hi! I've lived in Colorado all my life and my husband sets modular homes. His boss got a call yesterday that may change our lives completely. A company has offered him the job of setting up a 6400 home community in New Orleans. Nothing definate yet but just trying to scope out some information. Could anyone comment on the integrity of the city? How big it is, house prices, weather, schools, crime rates, good vs. bad parts of town, etc. I have a young son and another on the way and we have 4 dogs... my family is my life and I just want to be totally prepared should we have to move.

Thanks so much!
As much as I love my home state I have to say this, I think someone who has lived their entire life out west would have a very difficult time adjusting to the way of life in Louisiana. Not to mention the educational system is abysmal, except in two or three parishes. New Orleans is not the place to raise a young family right now. The population of the city itself is only half of what it was before the storm but the crime is astronomical. If you were to join the bulging ranks of those who escaped to the north shore in Mandeville you will find crowded schools, high rents and inflated home values because there is more demand than actual housing. It is tougher to get doctors appts. because there are now fewer doctors everywhere. The list goes on and on. If you don't have to make this move you would probably be much better off not doing it.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:11 PM

76 posts, read 506,136 times
Quote:

Thanks so much!
Unfortunately, crime is a major concern for many who consider moving to New Orleans. Like in most major cities, most of the violent crime involves the drug trade in one way or another. I personally feel safer in New Orleans now than I did before Hurricane Katrina.

Good public schools in New Orleans are far and few between, with Lusher and Ben Frankling (the top public high school in the state) the best. Private school tuition run from the reasonable to the ridiculous, but some of the private schools, like Jesuit and Newmand, are first rate. Jefferson Parish's public schools are not much better.

Real estate is expensive in New Orleans and the east bank of Jefferson Parish.

My advice to you is to look into living in either St. Tammany Parish (across the lake) or St. Charles Parish on the west bank. Both have excellent public school systems, are safe, have affordable houses, and are close enough to New Orleans so you can easily take advantage of what the city offers.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:53 AM

4 posts, read 40,986 times
Default Thank You!

Thank you all so much for your insight on the city. Not sure yet what we're going to do or even if my husband's boss will take the job (that will probably take 4-5 years plus). I personally don't want to move there after hearing all the negativities about the city. But I guess we'll see what happens. So, St Tammary Parish and St. Charles Parish seem like the best bets right? How about close towns/cities to NOLA?

Thanks Again!
Jamie

Old 04-27-2007, 09:59 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,302,796 times
Quote:
Thank you all so much for your insight on the city. Not sure yet what we're going to do or even if my husband's boss will take the job (that will probably take 4-5 years plus). I personally don't want to move there after hearing all the negativities about the city. But I guess we'll see what happens. So, St Tammary Parish and St. Charles Parish seem like the best bets right? How about close towns/cities to NOLA?

Thanks Again!
Jamie
The closest towns to New Orleans on the east bank are Metairie and Kenner. On the west bank right across the bridge are places like Gretna and Harrahan -BUT, as stated before by someone else do not even go there, avoid the west bank of NO all together. If you choose Metairie or Kenner, just keep in mind what I said about a doctor shortage and the schools. Though if you go the private school route there are a few good ones.

Now, to go beyond those boundries your next closest towns are in St. Charles parish and St. Tammany parish. There are some fairly decent schools in those areas in Luling (St. Charles) and Mandeville (St. Tammany). Living in either of these areas means a less than desirable commute, but for some people that doesn't seem to matter when they get good schools, a safe area and nice homes. However, remember, especially in the case of Mandeville, many people and even whole businesses/companies have relocated there from NO - it is packed to the gills over there now. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:11 AM

595 posts, read 2,337,149 times
As a single person who just moved to New Orleans....I think it's ok. I wouldn't send a kid to the Orleans Parish school or Recovery Schools either (private only).

I don't think it's that bad, but then again I grew up in Atlanta which was always pretty seedy until recently.

I do think people are overly alarmist (and the Northshore is boring, heh).

I am however somewhat homesick as I moved here alone.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:30 AM

530 posts, read 2,617,623 times
If you want to live "close" to the city, I would recommend Jefferson Parish. River Ridge, Harahan(which is on the East Bank), or Metairie.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,632,063 times
The above posters are dead on regarding the educational system. Since you mentioned you have a young son and a baby on the way that should be a priority. I urge you to compare your options --- staying in Colorado, which is a great place to raise a family, versus the culture shock you will undoubtedly experience in New Orleans. Take time to carefully explore the parishes previously mentioned, visit if possible, and talk it over with your husband. New Orleans public schools are NOT AN OPTION. You WILL have to pay for private school if you plan on living in the city of New Orleans so take that into consideration when you're running the numbers. You can google new orleans public schools and read the horror stories for yourself. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans