U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:54 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,152,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappytran View Post
HI everybody,

I ve just come here from Viet Nam for some days but I heard about the storm, I am afraid. I do not dare to travel anywhere, just stay in Harvey, if some one can give me some advice where should to visit in New Orleans. I love this city, I think when I go back my home, I will miss here. But I just go around, dont know where to go for a visit.

Hope to have some good advice from you who are living here.

Best regards to all friends here.
For the time being New Orleans is not at risk for being hit by an storms. Ana has fallen apart and Hurricane Bill will only be affecting the Atlantic Coastline. So by all means, go out and explore the city. Visit the French Quarter, Audubon Park and St. Charles Avenue, and go eat at some of the city's best restaurants. My personal favorites are Deannie's Seafood and Drago's, but there are soooo many more out there!

Welcome to Louisiana!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 03:59 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,614,107 times
Uh oh, the cat broke a mirror yesterday! I promise if anything happens as far as storms go I'll make Gumbo toss some salt over her left shoulder and knock on wood.

Jacq we were very bad last week. I pretended to be a ghost at the Myrtles, and we snuck in a cat for a tour of Rosedown. I can report that the ghost didn't go over too well with some little kids, the cat wasn't thrilled with the tour, and that I think our cousin is concerned that we share the same DNA.

Okay Prytania I'm game 1, 2, 3... NO STORMS THIS YEAR!!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 04:05 PM

25,953 posts, read 27,534,029 times
No, I still haven't figured out how to get out of Thanksgiving with my family.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Location: Virginia, just outside of DC, our crooks are just dressed better than yours.
84 posts, read 278,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Uh oh, the cat broke a mirror yesterday! I promise if anything happens as far as storms go I'll make Gumbo toss some salt over her left shoulder and knock on wood.

Jacq we were very bad last week. I pretended to be a ghost at the Myrtles, and we snuck in a cat for a tour of Rosedown. I can report that the ghost didn't go over too well with some little kids, the cat wasn't thrilled with the tour, and that I think our cousin is concerned that we share the same DNA.

Okay Prytania I'm game 1, 2, 3... NO STORMS THIS YEAR!!!!
Ok, you've got to get this picture in your mind. Little girl about 4, in a long white cotton dress, with a big ole southern white bow in her hair. Little brother about 2, in short pale blue overalls. They are happily playing in beautiful (flea infested) landscape, smelling and enjoying the flowers. The parents and enjoying the sight and are interested in he cabin that some women are occupying . The women see the family and wave and smile through the window. SOMEONE takes that opportunity to pull the white shirt over her head and bob up and down in the widow like, well, a GHOST! The parents laugh at this spectacle, get the little kids attention and and point out the silly ghost in the window. At that point, the beautiful little girl gets a horrified look on her face and the little boy starts to cry. The parents look at the kids, realizing what they had done, pick them up and run for dear life away from the cabin. The GHOST is still bobbing up and down in the window and the women are on the floor laughing.....Then the alcohol came out. ..But that's another story....Right Jeffery?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:57 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,614,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toupsee View Post
.....Then the alcohol came out. ..But that's another story....Right Jeffery?
See I told you I don't need alcohol to behave like an ass. (At least he didn't name the cat John Wayne Gasey.)

I'm going to practice my evacuation run by heading for the Northshore today! On the one hand it was really convient to be less than an hour away, but I've gotta admit I'm going to pee my pants riding out a cat 3 or higher even if it is above I-12.

We've often talked about buying some cheap property further north, just to have some place to evacuate. Kinda like a camp, but not on the water. I'm hoping that it will be possible in a couple of years.

PS. How are your flea bites doing?

Old 08-23-2009, 12:31 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,968,712 times
Back to topic, I lived in N.O. for 47 yrs and I left every single time after Camille. I used to ride them out in my grandmother's 2-story house that was built in 1922 (when they built for strength not price), but after she died I had to leave if it was really bad.

I spent Camille in Metairie and had no power for 2 weeks. Heat and humidity and trying to feed 2 babies was a nightmare. After that, I was outta there!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or