U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:26 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,047,932 times

Advertisements

99% of USA Today newspapers I see are free and left in waiting rooms. It is hardly a quality newspaper like the NY Times or the Washington Post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 01:56 PM

423 posts, read 1,115,737 times
USA Today is good for what it tries to do: provide a broadsheet form that gives a good snapshot of current issues across the country. It will never draw the greatest or most ambitious journalists, but it shows very little regional bias in keeping with its name. I also find it to offer a far less skewed version of the news than NY Times or Washington Post, or Fox News for that matter.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:52 AM

12 posts, read 75,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
No. The most common daily in America is read by absolutely nobody. Hows that? People who read their news buy actual newspapers. People who look at their news in broadsheet format buy the USA Today.
I actually really like USA Today and do buy and READ all of it everyday (it's the perfect length to actually read all through for a daily newspaper if you actually have things to do other than just reading the newspaper). If I'm dying for a dissertation on any news story then I can supplement my USA Today with my online news front page; I don't need a thesis on every item of news of the day. I agree with previous poster that it's a good snapshot of what's going on in the country. It's my favorite national newspaper because it's pretty centrist and straightforward and brief and I'm a moderate so I don't want a bias to my news. I don't care about the journalist's opinion (if I did I'd buy their book or follow their blog), I just want to know what's happening in the world. I want my newspaper to report the news and give it to me straight so I can form my own opinions. Much prefer it to the pretentious NYT or the stuck up Washington Post.

I can't really say I read the Times Picayune regularly as it just makes me really depressed about New Orleans but it's an alright enough newspaper. I watch local news instead which somehow is easier to take.

As for Dunkin Donuts, I can't claim to be a DD fan or even really a donut fan BUT it is NOT at all the same thing as Cafe Du Monde. If you're a donut aficionado with the chocolate covered or jam-filled or whatever other kinds exist, you can hardly compare Cafe Du Monde's fried dough with powdered sugar to the variety of DD or even like a Krispy Kreme. Yes I'm a fan of beignets and personally prefer them to traditional donuts but for a palate accustomed to the many flavours of DD, I don't think that they're not the same thing at all. The only place I've regularly seen Krispy Kreme in New Orleans proper is in the CBD Walgreens on Canal and it's pre-packed in a box but I've never looked to see what flavors. If you're a donut person who likes variety, New Orleans is not a donut shop kind of place, but you can usually find donuts in the bakery section of all the big grocery stores (Walmart, Rouses, Winn Dixie and Whole Foods-maybe) and possibly stock up for the week or even go daily if you're so inclined.

I had Bank of America too and then I moved cities and got TD because BOA weren't in the city I moved to, and then moved to New Orleans and got Chase, it's not a big deal to get Chase or whatever you choose once you're here.

Last edited by pleaseletthesunshine; 09-27-2009 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 09-27-2009, 10:50 PM

9 posts, read 26,503 times
I'm just curious, when people say New Orleans is very urban, what do they mean?
What is your definition of urnab?

Old 09-28-2009, 12:54 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,047,932 times
There are 3 Dunkin Donuts in the metro area. 2 downtown and 1 on Vets.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:28 AM

9 posts, read 26,503 times
*urban* sorry mind spazz

Old 09-28-2009, 12:22 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,330,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleaseletthesunshine View Post
New Orleans is not a donut shop kind of place, but you can usually find donuts in the bakery section of all the big grocery stores (Walmart, Rouses, Winn Dixie and Whole Foods-maybe) and possibly stock up for the week or even go daily if you're so inclined.
There are local donut shops and bakeries, you just have to know where to find them. There are a lot on the Westbank too.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,091 times
- Roads, like others said.
- Cost of living is high. It depends on where you want to live and how much space you are looking for, but it is high. My husband and I pay $800/month for a 1000 sq ft place in Metairie. If you want to buy you are looking at least $125,000, and that is for something small and old.
- Schools. I don't have kids but if I did they would not attend public schools.
- Traffic.....it's everywhere.
- Parking in the city, or shall I say, lack thereof.
- Weather. It is way too hot and humid.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:36 AM

65 posts, read 193,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
- Humidity is killer.

- City in turmoil, undergoing mass amounts of social and political change is even more of a gamble financially if you're looking into real estate.

- Future flooding
People who obviously don't know much about New Orleans shouldn't be commenting. The city is not in turmoil, real estate is a b***h everywhere now a days, and as far as future flooding, there is a multi billion dollar flood protection project in progress right now which will be completed in a few years......Every city has a period of uncomfortable weather, or possible natural disasters, and every city has a crime ridden area.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 PM

51,855 posts, read 47,681,135 times
This is from the perspective of someone who was born in New Orleans, left at age 6 months, and then returned for family reunions a few times and hasn't been to Louisiana since Christmas 1998.

Downsides:
Bad schools(my mother told me if we had stayed in New Orleans, I would have gone to private school, which is nice, but costs alot of money)
Outside of the business district anf French Quarter, much of the city feels grimy and dirty(and these were observations I made before Katrina made things worse).
Very humid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans