Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 AM

104 posts, read 476,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
Do you guys get tired of the constant tourists? I personally get tired of tourists even when I'm a tourist myself on vacation.
but the tourists generally keep to the tourist areas, so 90% of the time, I would say not a problem, except when they are stupid and drunk on Bourbon St., but who goes to Bourbon very often?

my biggest complaint is the endemic poverty and anybody with money turning a blind eye, along with corrupt government, but that's just a microcosm of life in the US. in NOLA, there's less sprawl, so it's more in your face. and that's one thing that makes it special
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 02:58 PM

12 posts, read 79,332 times
I live in the tourist area so I DO get tired of the tourists especially during the weekends when it gets crazy. I moved from Boston 2-3 yrs ago and quite honestly New Orleans is like nowhere else in America and I mean that positively and negatively.
Biggest downsides:
- Shady/Corrupt government
- Poor roads
- Endemic poverty (as said above)
- Poor public school system (in Orleans parish)
- Moldy abandoned buildings
- Crime (which, though definitely not as bad as the rest of America is led to believe, is still pretty bad)

Old 08-26-2009, 03:28 PM

6 posts, read 16,521 times
I'm so glad I found this group! My husband is very possibly going to be transferred to NO very soon. I have been Googling like crazy trying to find nice neighborhoods but I'm having a little trouble. I can find some VERY NICE neighborhoods, especially on the North side of Lake Ponchartrain (sp?) but they are all neighborhoods where you buy a lot, then have to contract with a builder to build your house. That is NOT what I am wanting to do, especially since I have 3 kids and don't want to be living in an apartment with them for 6mos. to a year!

What I am really looking for is something like a "master" planned community, or even just a plain "planned" community, somewhere between NO and Baton Rouge, or, something on the North/NE side of the lake, where they may have new homes that are ready to move into or have a builder that works developing that neighborhood so you can just sorta walk into the model and buy your house...lol...know what I mean? Say, something in the $250K range.

I used to live waaaay down in Buras when I was a kid, and my Dad worked at a refinery in Venice. I'm looking forward to getting back to some fresh seafood!

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:26 AM

25 posts, read 57,992 times
1- no Dunkin Donuts here, except for one in Metarie, and who the wants to ride all the way over to Metarie just for Dunkin Donuts?

DD lies in their ads when they say America Runs on Dunkin!

2- USA Today is only sold in vending boxes downtown... I prefer to buy it in a store like we can here in Massachusetts (esp. if all you got to buy it is a dollar bill)!

3- no major banks, because of the poverty. Not even Bank of America has a branch here.... They oughta rename themselves Bank of Part of America

Old 09-02-2009, 08:44 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilaurielauri View Post
I'm so glad I found this group! My husband is very possibly going to be transferred to NO very soon. I have been Googling like crazy trying to find nice neighborhoods but I'm having a little trouble. I can find some VERY NICE neighborhoods, especially on the North side of Lake Ponchartrain (sp?) but they are all neighborhoods where you buy a lot, then have to contract with a builder to build your house. That is NOT what I am wanting to do, especially since I have 3 kids and don't want to be living in an apartment with them for 6mos. to a year!

What I am really looking for is something like a "master" planned community, or even just a plain "planned" community, somewhere between NO and Baton Rouge, or, something on the North/NE side of the lake, where they may have new homes that are ready to move into or have a builder that works developing that neighborhood so you can just sorta walk into the model and buy your house...lol...know what I mean? Say, something in the $250K range.

I used to live waaaay down in Buras when I was a kid, and my Dad worked at a refinery in Venice. I'm looking forward to getting back to some fresh seafood!

Any help would be great! Thanks!

I think you should post this as a separate question in the New Orleans forum, you would probably get more responses.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronibus62 View Post
1- no Dunkin Donuts here, except for one in Metarie, and who the wants to ride all the way over to Metarie just for Dunkin Donuts?

DD lies in their ads when they say America Runs on Dunkin!

2- USA Today is only sold in vending boxes downtown... I prefer to buy it in a store like we can here in Massachusetts (esp. if all you got to buy it is a dollar bill)!

3- no major banks, because of the poverty. Not even Bank of America has a branch here.... They oughta rename themselves Bank of Part of America
1. Why go to Dunkin Donuts when you can go to a local Donut shop?

2. Can't help you there.

3. So Chase, Capital One, and Regions aren't major?

Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,187 times
Default Areas around New Orleans

"What I am really looking for is something like a "master" planned community, or even just a plain "planned" community, somewhere between NO and Baton Rouge, or, something on the North/NE side of the lake, where they may have new homes that are ready to move into or have a builder that works developing that neighborhood so you can just sorta walk into the model and buy your house...lol...know what I mean? Say, something in the $250K range."

It will be hard to find new communities in the area in the $250k range, more likely in the $300k to $400k range. Prices exploded after Katrina. Have come back down, but still a little high. Check your car insurance and homeowners insurance also. They will probably be higher. If you go northshore, go north of I10 or your flood insurance will be high.
Almost no planned, decent, communities in the greater NO area. Just the way it developed over the years.

Look in the Gonzales area also. try latter-blum.com as a real estate reference. We moved to TN after KAtrina. Love the area but sure do miss the food.

Good luck.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:29 AM

239 posts, read 596,079 times
It's not a very active city. My family lives in Oregon, and being active is a big part of the culture up there. If you like outdoor activities, it's MUCH easier to find people up there, to share those activities with.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
1. DD? Krispy Kreme! or Beignets from Cafe du Monde or elsewhere.

2. USA Today? Really? People read that?

3. Chase, Capital One, Regions as talked about before....even Whitney is a regional player and growing. I have a Bank of America account, you aren't missing anything..worst bank ever.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:31 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
1. DD? Krispy Kreme! or Beignets from Cafe du Monde or elsewhere.

2. USA Today? Really? People read that?

3. Chase, Capital One, Regions as talked about before....even Whitney is a regional player and growing. I have a Bank of America account, you aren't missing anything..worst bank ever.
No. The most common daily in America is read by absolutely nobody. Hows that? People who read their news buy actual newspapers. People who look at their news in broadsheet format buy the USA Today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans