U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 PM

140 posts, read 161,789 times

Advertisements

...because all I ever hear about is the crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 09:43 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,676,912 times
Well,vast portions of the city lie in ruins and are really way too far below sea level to truly be safe, levees or not. Also, driving in NO is dangerous as hell and people are either crazy or drunk. Once you are off the roads though and walking through the touristy areas, New Orleans is a pleasure. Aside from the crime, I could see myself living near New Orleans, but outside of the flood zones.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,913,059 times
Humidity in the high 80s-high 90s.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Humidity in the high 80s-high 90s.
thats not too bad honestly.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:58 PM

3,551 posts, read 6,047,590 times
- Humidity is killer.

- City in turmoil, undergoing mass amounts of social and political change is even more of a gamble financially if you're looking into real estate.

- Future flooding

Old 08-20-2009, 10:22 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,333,264 times
The humidity doesn't bother me. This is what does....

-It floods whenever there is a heavy rain.
-I just replaced a tire because the streets are so bad. They are repairing a lot of streets right now though.
-The city govt. is inept.
-Education is not what it should be at all, although it is slowly improving.

With that said I still think that New Orleans is THE BEST CITY IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

As Pudd4LyF said the city is going through great social/political changes so we have yet to see where the city will end up.

Innotech, what makes driving in NO so dangerous? As far as sea level, the biggest issue with that is the fact that Louisiana is sinking. As far is flooding and hurricanes, that has more to do with the fact that the city is a bowl and not how low it is.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:36 PM

140 posts, read 161,789 times
Do you guys get tired of the constant tourists? I personally get tired of tourists even when I'm a tourist myself on vacation.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:39 PM

3,551 posts, read 6,047,590 times
I don't live in New Orleans. My friend lived in Morgan City so I spent many a weekend in New Orleans and I love it, but I've never actually lived in New Orleans. My wife almost got a job at Tulane in which case we were real-estate shopping in Metarie but that fell through and we went to SF instead.

I currently live in the San Francisco area and can feel what you mean regarding tourism - they can be very annoying and also humorous, but it's a lifeblood to both of our cities - San Francisco and New Orleans.

You may find yourself annoyed, but they are keeping new money flowing inward - without them, the current and future prospects are far, far more bleak.

Don't bite the hand[s] that feed[s].

* As a note: Westbank makes a great point regarding education in New Orleans (really, the entire state). Public schools are a joke within New Orleans. But if you know that, simply make sure you put them in the best private school your money can buy. You'll recoup the money later when your son/daughter earn a free ride through college (hopefully).

Old 08-20-2009, 10:48 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,333,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
Do you guys get tired of the constant tourists? I personally get tired of tourists even when I'm a tourist myself on vacation.
yes indeed.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The humidity doesn't bother me. This is what does....

-It floods whenever there is a heavy rain.
-I just replaced a tire because the streets are so bad. They are repairing a lot of streets right now though.
-The city govt. is inept.
-Education is not what it should be at all, although it is slowly improving.

With that said I still think that New Orleans is THE BEST CITY IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

As Pudd4LyF said the city is going through great social/political changes so we have yet to see where the city will end up.

Innotech, what makes driving in NO so dangerous? As far as sea level, the biggest issue with that is the fact that Louisiana is sinking. As far is flooding and hurricanes, that has more to do with the fact that the city is a bowl and not how low it is.
When I was visiting friends in Gretna and going to Metairie city park, I had a hell of a time on the highways crossing the Westbank and heading towards the lakefront. Frankly it was frightening the way people drive on the highways of NO. Not so much on the surface roads, but on the interstates, good lord. I actually would compare it to driving around DC in terms of reckless drivers darting in and out and the overall speed of traffic. It wasnt my favorite city to drive in Ill put it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans