U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:46 PM

466 posts, read 786,324 times

Advertisements

Is it ok to drink the water right out of the tap or should it be filtered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 07:22 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,901,167 times
My grandmother, who was born in 1886, said that after WWII the water tasted different. She bought bottled water thereafter. I thought she was just gettin old until I read the pollution reports on the river. She knew what she was taliong about! After WWII is when the industrial stuff upriver began to grow a lot.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:39 AM

3,031 posts, read 5,389,003 times
I reckon it's the tap water that contains the mysterious allure of NOLA, making you addicted to the place and never wanting to leave. It's like a drug, the more you try and wean yourself off the town, the worse you wanna come back.
But I drank tap water there for 5 weeks and I'm fine..never noticed the taste...mind you, the hurricanes I drank probably sterilized any bugs that might have been in the water..

Old 08-24-2009, 02:08 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,331,678 times
If you boil it long enough the sediment will line the sides of the pot.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:54 PM

102 posts, read 299,721 times
hmmm this is interesting. I live in BTR, but 20+ years ago when I first lived in BTR whenever I visited family in NOLA I got sick that night or the next day morning. It wasn't painful but I won't go into details in a public forum. Since my return to BTR in 2006, I have noticed once again whenever I spend the day in NOLA same thing happens that used to happen 20+ years ago, except now I drink bottled water...except when I order drinks (ice, tea, coffee, etc.). So my last couple of trips through I didn't allow myself to drink anything made with water or contained ice... guess what, I didn't get sick. Of course this proves nothing, but it does make me wonder about it a bit more.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:31 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,611,088 times
Lol every so often we get this letter in the mail about how our water, in Da Parish, is not compliant with so and so's standards. We filter the drinking water, but I figure if y'all put a black light on one us we just may glow.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:40 PM

205 posts, read 542,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
If you boil it long enough the sediment will line the sides of the pot.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:42 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,686,208 times
Most cities have hard water. If you boil the water long enough you'll see white stuff - it's lime residue that forms inside the pan. It is not dangerous.

When I travel state to state I do not drink local water, I drink bottled water. It is not because the local water is bad. I have a sensitive gut that gifts me with Montezuma's Revenge if I drink water to which I am not accustomed. My reaction is not that uncommon, nor is it dangerous. It's me, and it is disruptive. .

Old 08-26-2009, 07:06 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,611,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It's me, and it is disruptive.
That's putting it mildly!

Okay I know it's probably weird, but I perfer that metallic after taste that we have in the NOLA area. When I visit the northshore that water just tastes weird and don't even get me started on how your hands never seem to wash clean with the soap. Is it just me?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,331,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
That's putting it mildly!

Okay I know it's probably weird, but I perfer that metallic after taste that we have in the NOLA area. When I visit the northshore that water just tastes weird and don't even get me started on how your hands never seem to wash clean with the soap. Is it just me?
Me too. The water get softer the closer you get to MS so it feels wetter. The soap lathers more and the water his harder to rinse off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans