Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:10 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,932 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I'm originally from Chicago and I have the option of currently going to school down in New Orleans or Miami. I was wondering if any of you could give me some insight on which you think would be better and why. I love both cities, my aunt lives in Kenner (I think that's how you spell it) just outside of NOLA and my mother lives about an hour north of miami in west palm beach, so I have family near both as well. They're great places but I which do you think would be better in terms of lifestyle, job market and cheapness. Thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 12:38 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Hello everybody, I'm originally from Chicago and I have the option of currently going to school down in New Orleans or Miami. I was wondering if any of you could give me some insight on which you think would be better and why. I love both cities, my aunt lives in Kenner (I think that's how you spell it) just outside of NOLA and my mother lives about an hour north of miami in west palm beach, so I have family near both as well. They're great places but I which do you think would be better in terms of lifestyle, job market and cheapness. Thanks alot.
I vote for Miami because New Orleans will be the last place I would move in this country. I don't care how strong those levies are now days, I'm not moving below sea level.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
There is no comparing the 2 cities. New Orleans is old, slow, and charming. Miami seems to be always on the cutting edge, fast-paced, and has a big bar scene. Granted, this is just my opinion and may not match yours.

Housing in N.O. seems still to be pretty expensive compared to what it was before Katrina.

Job market: well, N.O. was never known for anything but tourism and oil industry. Not sure how that has changed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:23 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita305 View Post
I vote for Miami because New Orleans will be the last place I would move in this country. I don't care how strong those levies are now days, I'm not moving below sea level.
You live in South Florida and you think being below sea level is dangerous? I hope you live a good distance inland.

That comparison is a tough one. The biggest differences that I can think of would be culture and job types. Both have crime, hurricanes, education downfalls, etc. Miami seems to have more of a Latin vibe, while New Orleans has the Colonial Spanish/Caribbean vibe going. Both cities have different immigrant groups that contribute to the local culture. New Orleans has more oil, shipping, construction jobs.

Once you get out into the suburbs they start to look similar.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:48 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,031 times
New Orleans isn't below sea level as a rule...just parts of it are...

I live Uptown and I live above sea level (and most areas of the "old" city along the river are above sea level).

Old 09-11-2009, 06:48 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Tough call. Miami is a much larger metro, giving you more suburban options, but if you want to be in the city itself, I'd go with New Orleans. Seems like you can get more for your money in New Orleans (though it is still expensive).

Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 AM

18 posts, read 53,058 times
Ive been to both cities 4 times last year. Id lean towards Miami. When you go to New Orleans "everybody" will make sure they have a conversation with you about how Hurricane Katrina affected them. At first you appreciate everyone's openess but then it starts to get depressing because it seems as if the storm affected everyone's life in a major way. For example, I was in the Gentilly area and asked a sales associate if she could show me where a library or internet cafe was-so I could send out some resumes. And she responded "we havent had any libraries since Hurricane Katrina, you have to go to the French quarter for that!" I also considered moving to New Orleans but could not find work. I have a Masters degree and had no problem getting responses from the other major cities. But to answer your question, as a student you'll be fine. As a well credentialed, working professional or someone who wants a fresh new start you could possibly become depressed moving to new orleans because of the the lack of jobs and the way the residents got screwed over from Hurricane Katrina.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
At first you appreciate everyone's openess but then it starts to get depressing because it seems as if the storm affected everyone's life in a major way.
It did, foo!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:23 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,031 times
Not everyone talks about Katrina endlessly...many people want to remember but move on. Don't paint us with that broad brush.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:06 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
New Orleans has personality, charm, spunk. I'd go with NOLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: