U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:00 AM

11 posts, read 148,741 times

Advertisements

mnr3,
That is a great resource. Thank you! I will look at that. I have to find some map that shows those parishes and segments of NO too. I am pretty sure he will be on the East Bank. BTW, I teach French too - and Spanish. :-)
À bientôt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,330,510 times
The Naval Facility/Federal City is all on the Westbank in Algiers now. As far iffy and dirty looking, that's NOLA. That's just the way it is, you can't judge an area like you would in other cities. Some of the iffiest looking places can be one of the better areas while some can be way beyond iffy and borderline hell. Even the suburbs look gritty compared to say Atlanta or Houston. As far as being close to crime, New Orleans is not one of those places that's heavily divided up socially/class/racial, etc. Neighborhoods vary from block to block (sometimes house to house) and change instantly. Don't let any of what I said scare you since I don't know where you're coming from and the set up there, but as long as you use common sense you should be safe.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Westbank NOLA,

Thank you also for your reply! That pretty much answers why I keep getting such mixed reviews for various places on the internet. One person loves it, next hates it. It really must be as you say - places vary block by block, not a set of blocks or a whole neighborhood. I did read that supposedly most of the crime mostly happens within the "drug community". I understand that there will be muggings like everywhere else. I have never been mugged/robbed/broken into (knock knock) and I lived in areas where it happened, so hopefully things will be fine. Perhaps when I find some promising leads, I can post it on here and if someone happens to live nearby and/or know it, I could get more specific feedback. I understand that it is difficult to generalize. Thanks again for your reply!! (Also, thank you for the info on the Naval Facility/Federal City!!)

Old 09-22-2009, 02:34 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,147,729 times
Yes, in New Orleans, you can generally consider yourself to be in a good area if you can't see the bad area from where you are. Which means it really goes block by block. My suggestion is to talk to the neighbors before you sign anything. Get their perspective...or even by meeting some of them you might decide to turn and run. haha

Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Thank you everyone again for your kind replies. I do have a few more questions. They may sound really dumb to someone who live in NO, but please bear with me:

(1) I am still kind of confused as to what is East and West Bank. The river kind of runs horizontally (on the map) - so it looks to me more like north and south bank? Is the French Quarter considered West Bank and Gretna and Algiers East Bank?

(2) People keep talking about a ferry and the times it runs. Are there any bridges to just drive over? I can't tell from the map.

(3) What is a CBD and CCC?

(4) What is an area the floods the least/lays the highest?

Thank you SO much for any feedback to my probably ignorant questions!!
:-)

Old 09-23-2009, 07:39 AM

17 posts, read 122,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etincelle1007 View Post
Hi everybody,

My boyfriend and I will be moving to New Orleans in the spring. We are trying to figure out where to live. We want to rent first. He will have a job at or near the New Orleans Naval Support. We need to find a safe appartment, 1 or 2 bedroom with 2 parking spaces. Safety is the most important issue. Rent can be up to about $900. Any suggestions? Thank you so much!!!!
Well, Hello there and Welcome to The Bayou!:

There are just so many attractive options in N.O., depending of course, and just like everything else.... upon your collective bank books. That's not sarcasm either. Although I still reside in NYC, I do know what N.O., has to offer in terms of residences.

What area of The City, aside from getting a rental, is it that you 2 want?: Warehouse District (gorgeous & up-coming!), Mid-City ; Uptown Ambiance? The first thing I'd do, is to get in touch with a realtor!

BTW.. do NOT allow anyone to discourage you in moving to N.O., by giving you all the negatives and about crime... that part of life unfortunately survives everywhere on earth, but if you love a place, which I've no doubt you will love N.O., then just DO IT! ;-) love encouraging folks to My Hometown....

¡Buena Suerta!

~R504~

P.S. Make it your business to check the weather conditions for ALL 12 months in The South if you 2 are "Yankees"

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-16-2012 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: cannot name realtors

Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 AM

17 posts, read 122,621 times
If you're inclined to a less-traveled path, you may want to try Slidell, which is about 45 minutes from New Orleans Proper, traveling eastward. It's a smaller, condensed community and very suburban. It's relatively quiet and you require a car to get from place to place. I rather like it, me'self!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,330,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etincelle1007 View Post
Thank you everyone again for your kind replies. I do have a few more questions. They may sound really dumb to someone who live in NO, but please bear with me:

(1) I am still kind of confused as to what is East and West Bank. The river kind of runs horizontally (on the map) - so it looks to me more like north and south bank? Is the French Quarter considered West Bank and Gretna and Algiers East Bank?

(2) People keep talking about a ferry and the times it runs. Are there any bridges to just drive over? I can't tell from the map.

(3) What is a CBD and CCC?

(4) What is an area the floods the least/lays the highest?

Thank you SO much for any feedback to my probably ignorant questions!!
(1) The Eastbank would be everything north of the river up to Lake Pontchartrain. The Westbank is everything south of the river. The French quarter is on the Eastbank and just down river (northeast) of the CBD. Algiers is all of Orleans Parish (county) on the Westbank. Everything else on that side is Jefferson Parish including Gretna. All of Orleans Parish is the city of New Orleans, The suburban cities are in Jefferson and St. Benard parishes.

(2) There are 4 ferry routes and 3 bridges crossing the river. Where you live, time of day, and traffic determine the best route. If you want to cross for free you will more than likely have to go out of your way.

(3) CBD = Central Business District (Downtown, Uptown, etc. are usually used in more as geographic terms rather than specific districts). CCC or GNO refer to the main bridge crossing the river. It stands for Crescent City Connection, but a lot of people refer to it as the Greater New Orleans bridge. The other main bridge is the Huey P. Long or "The Huey".

(4) Generally the closer you are to the river the higher you are.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:28 PM

Robin 504,

Thank you so much for your response. I am writing all this info down and will look into that! Our checkbooks are pretty secure but I am the one who will have to look for a job, so there is a chance that we will only have one income (but decent one) for a while. But I do have savings to help out for at least 6 months. SO...the area of the city doesn't really matter - we are just looking for something relatively safe and with 2 parking places.

Our idea of safe is that we can make it from the car to the door without having to dodge bullets or flying bottles or be haggled by yelling/racial slurs. Plus, I guess I as a woman would appreciate being left alone if I come out of the house by myself. We understand that crime happens everywhere. I just don't wanna fall asleep every night with blue flashes coming through my window. Both of us know not to leave ANYTHING in the car and to leave the blinds closed etc.

We want to rent first, up to about $900-$950/month.

I will check out all of the info you gave me with the sites and stuff. And - he is a Yankee :-) and I am from Europe (but lived here for the last 12 years - I know what's up) - we both lived in the south - so the weather will not be a surprise.

Thank you so much again and I will come back here and hopefully have more leads by then!!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:31 PM

WestbankNOLA,
Thank you so much for being my encyclopedia!! That helps a lot! I am copying all this info down...my file is getting bigger and better, thanks to all of these great replies! Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or