U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 PM

104 posts, read 435,854 times

Advertisements

1st, just so it makes sense: the east bank/west bank thing is that the north side of the river is in fact on what would be the east side of the river from the greater perspective of the Miss. river flowing north to south--and the real nickname of New Orleans is the crescent city (and not the Big Easy, a Hollywood invention) because of this looping bend (this apparent misnomer makes more sense than the rive gauche/rive droite distinction no?)
2. you keep mentioning parking, but it's generally not an issue (except during mardi gras!). very different from a New York style parking shortage. most commuters work downtown in the CBD, which is not very residential, meaning the residential areas (the vast majority of the city) have ample parking . there really are not many new york style big apartment buildings without off street parking, which is why I suggested early on that you might want to look into a half-house or something like that
3. for the rent you're suggesting, you should have no problem finding a bullet-free zone. crime (muggings, carjackings) can occur randomly in places, but you can get a decent place (at least based on the quick read of the classifieds I did) for that price
4. I haven't lived in the city in a while, so I might not know what I'm talking about on some of these things (moving back next year though!), but I would probably lean to something uptown (so called because it is UP river from downtown, that is, east). warehouse district isn't bad, but you pay a little premium for proximity to downtown, and there are edges of the area that are still less savory. anyway, ...... you need to get a handle on neighborhoods and some time in the streets. Might as well give a plug to our sponsors here, city-data, as they have neighborhood profiles, altho. they tend to be very, um data-oriented:
//www.city-data.com/city/New-Or...Louisiana.html

the neighborhoods are listed about 2/3 down on the long page.

a little better map from my brief googling had this one (when you click an area, the sub-hoods show up):
<GNOCDC>Orleans Parish Data & Information

(my apologies to the mods if that link-sharing breaks protocol)
I would really encourage you to find something in town, because you'll get a better understanding of why people love the place, which won't be quite as easy to figure out in the 'burbs, though nothing is really that far away, unless you jump across the lake or something, and there's no reason for that. you'll love it. New Orleans definitely has a more European sensibility than most American cities (I dare not say all, but it's close)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 10:13 AM

11 posts, read 148,741 times
Thank you so much mnr3!!!

That city-data link to the neighborhoods (which I should have been able to find on my own :-)) was wonderful - that is EXACTLY what info I needed to get! It makes it a LOT easier now to orient myself in the city. The other link putting all neighborhoods together is great too!

Also, thank you on the info about the river - it makes sense now, looking at the whole river - I just have to mentally flip it up.

We did find out that he will work on the - let me see- yes, the WEST bank. It will be a little to the east of the Navy place on Patterson Drive. I found some neighborhoods that seem OK from just the data right now. Seems like the "Old Aurora" could work. On the other bank, I was liking the Uptown, as suggested, Navarre?, Garden District, Marigny, and City Park. Also, there was something called Touro and Marlyville.

Seems like all the Lake-something places are good too, but I have a nagging feeling they are probably just houses to own and/or out of our price range.

I feel a lot better about having an idea about New Orleans. We will definitely have to go first though to visit and possibly meet the landlords etc., look at the places...

Thank you so much for all that information!! I am gonna keep looking!
:-)

Old 09-24-2009, 04:25 PM

205 posts, read 542,948 times
What about the Lake area? Isn't that considered a safe neighborhood?

Old 09-24-2009, 04:52 PM

104 posts, read 435,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnr3 View Post
I would probably lean to something uptown (so called because it is UP river from downtown, that is, east).
duh, it was a little late last night and east became west. uptown is up-river, but that, of course, is to the west.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,147,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetta View Post
What about the Lake area? Isn't that considered a safe neighborhood?
Lakeview is probably the safest chunk of town. Whereas Uptown and Algiers have their good areas and bad areas, Lakeview and the Lakefront are pretty uniformly good. The only problem with Lakeview is elevation. I can not recommend purchasing anything in Lakeview unless it is raised at least a few feet off of the ground. Lakefront subdivisions, on the other hand, were built on landfill, and therefore, are substantially higher up than Lakeview and Gentilly, which lie on the other side of Lee Boulevard.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:49 AM

12 posts, read 75,135 times
I'm not very au fait with the suburbs of New Orleans, so I'll just talk about New Orleans proper which I know a little better. I live downtown in the CBD and know I got a really good deal (within your price range) on my apartment and signed a long lease a couple of years ago so its rent-controlled and you might be able to find a similar deal (though it's not really a residential area so there's not much on offer and what's available tends to be pricey, if you're interested, keep looking and something will come up). I like the CBD personally even though it's not really residential because its near the French Quarter but somehow it doesn't get as dirty or noisy on weekends. Also it's convenient for me as I don't have a car*, and work in the area and can take the bus and streetcar (not the best city transit in the universe but manageable if you know how to use it) to the grocery store etc. I feel as safe as it is possible to feel in NOLA in this neighborhood.
*Note: New Orleans is definitely a car city and it would be to your advantage to have one, but if you're willing to put up with a lot of inconvenience of public transport and the expense of occasionally renting, you can do without.

Apart from the CBD, if you're not keen on suburbia, I'd say go with Uptown (fairly safe, depending) or Mid-City (which is cheap and only a bit sketchy because there are quite a few unoccupied houses still from Katrina). I know you can get some pretty good deals on apartments uptown. Lots of Tulane and Loyola grad student friends of mine have found really nice places in the Garden district at amazing prices. A friend of mine recently (within the past couple of months) found an amazing 1-BR apartment a couple of block off St. Charles (on Josephine) for $800/month and its a nice area, and a nice place with wood floors and brand new appliances. He found it on craigslist, I think. Tip: if you move in late spring, a lot of student leases should be ending and landlords should be desperate by that time to fill in vacancies. Looking at housing targeted at grad students (usually quiet because grad students tend not to want to bring the party to their study space) especially if you're young, is usually a cheap way to find cheap accommodation in the better neighborhoods of the city itself. I wouldn't really want to live around undergrads, but the neighborhood around Tulane Uptown tends to feel safe (also has excellent take out and delivery options). The good thing is that undergrads tend to want to live within a couple of blocks of campus so as long as you go a few blocks farther afield, it should be fine.

Shop around, sometimes really good deals come out even in the French Quarter, personally I wouldn't be keen on living there (the thousands of tourists descending every weekend on your front door and the pervasive Eau de Beer et Vomit scent can be overwhelming) but it is convenient to good eats and hang outs, and might be your thing. Mid-City like I said tends to be pretty cheap but again it depends on you and your personal tolerance for sketchiness. If you're an eclectic or alternative-type couple, you may want to extend your search to Marigny or even Bywater (although to me the latter suffers from Mid City sketchiness).

Last edited by pleaseletthesunshine; 09-27-2009 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: Remembered something to add

Old 10-23-2009, 01:25 PM

23 posts, read 85,427 times
New Orleans I heard is very nice, I always thought New Orleans was haunted for real it just seemed to me because somehow Voo-doo & The Haitian Culture can relate to New Orleans I am not trying to be rasict in any manner at all. just throwing that out there

Old 10-24-2009, 04:35 AM

17 posts, read 122,621 times
Default Finding it in New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by etincelle1007 View Post
Robin 504,

Thank you so much for your response. I am writing all this info down and will look into that! Our checkbooks are pretty secure but I am the one who will have to look for a job, so there is a chance that we will only have one income (but decent one) for a while. But I do have savings to help out for at least 6 months. SO...the area of the city doesn't really matter - we are just looking for something relatively safe and with 2 parking places.

Our idea of safe is that we can make it from the car to the door without having to dodge bullets or flying bottles or be haggled by yelling/racial slurs. Plus, I guess I as a woman would appreciate being left alone if I come out of the house by myself. We understand that crime happens everywhere. I just don't wanna fall asleep every night with blue flashes coming through my window. Both of us know not to leave ANYTHING in the car and to leave the blinds closed etc.

We want to rent first, up to about $900-$950/month.

I will check out all of the info you gave me with the sites and stuff. And - he is a Yankee :-) and I am from Europe (but lived here for the last 12 years - I know what's up) - we both lived in the south - so the weather will not be a surprise.

Thank you so much again and I will come back here and hopefully have more leads by then!!
:-)

Good Day Again:

You are saying "the area doesn't matter", but from what you say you'd like, it appears to me that the are very MUCH matters, as well it should. You're talking about one of the most important decisions following your job and your spouse. Allow me to suggest a site tht I've been mooning over for the past 2 years now [I'm still stuck in NYC, with the dream to return home to N.O. & retire in a beautiful & yes, SAFE area as well -- I too am a woman] The site is: New Orleans Condo Trends by Eric Bouler

Not only is his site visually appealing, the information is very clear as well as substantial. Also, try 1201 Canal Street Condos. That building used to house the former Krauss Department Store which all of us New Orleanians used to patronize and remember with much fondness.

The area that I'd move into, as a single and soon to be older female, would be the Uptown area, the Wareouse District, , Faubourg Marigny, or The Bayou St. John Area. When I went back home to visit, I found that these areas were the least affected by Katrina. As a matter of fact, in my old neighborhood in the 6th Ward of New Orleans, no one would have realize that there was ever a hurricane because it looked so disaafected. That street was North Dupre, between Dumaine & St. Philip; I wouldn't suggest that area, but as things progress, the most depleted areas will begin attracted the eyes of forward thing real estate geniuses. I'd also suggest St. Charles Avenue; I was looking into The St. Charles Condos for a moment just out of curiosity...

I'm not too keen on the prices of rents in the area, seeing as I'm still "serving time" in NYC, but that's the least of your concerns; once you find an area that's suitable, the prices will find you! As a rule and from my personal experience, I'd totally steer clear of the Lower 9th Ward. Though I spent a good portion of my 20's there, it was a different time and place [the 1970's]; not to mention, it is the first place to flood given its geographic location to the Intercoastal Canal. Stay on as much high ground as possible.

Buena Suerta, mi amigo.

~Robin504~

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-16-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 11-01-2009, 09:55 AM

4 posts, read 23,810 times
Default Saulet and River Garden

I live near the River Garden community, which is not far from the Saulet apartment complex. I would agree that the Saulet is on the high end price wise, in a low end neighborhood. The neighborhood can be sketchy at night...drug deals etc. The River Garden community is labled low income housing and is section 8. Unless you are in the section 8 program I think it can be pricey to live there. It looks like a movie set with all the houses looking the same and manicured lawns and there is a mix of people living there with the highest percentage being African American. There is a lot of street traffic, people tend to hang out on the stoops and on the corners with children playing in the street...like a neighborhood. You will find that throughout the city. I think there is a stringent background check to live there so the crime rate is low. It's a place I would consider living. River Garden is accross the river from Gretna which wouldn't really be easy access. Gretna is cute as well with a mix of life long residents, new "young" families and singles. Your best bet would be Algiers Point. Cute houses, resonably priced and I don't think the crime rate is very high. You can check that out by going to the NOPD website. There is a link to a crime map which you can type in an address and find out the type of crimes committed in that area. Algiers Point is also just a ferry ride away from the French Quarter. There is also an apartment complex in River Garden. River Garden is also quite near the WalMart and a new shopping complex that is being completed now. There is aso going to be a park in the neighborhood. You are also near Magazine Street where there are small local boutiques close by and going further uptown you are close to restaurants and more local shopping...a shopping extravaganza! Good luck!

Last edited by lowergardendistrictgirl; 11-01-2009 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-07-2009, 06:50 AM

17 posts, read 122,621 times
Greetings All:

Hope your luck is shining and for those of you wishing to relocate to New Orleans, I hope your search finds you all with love and much Desire & Prosperity!

After having gone over my previous entry, allow me to recant one of the streets/areas of The City that I suggested you shouldn't consider: Faubourg St. John, North Dupre St & that area. Well.....it is an up and coming area around my old neighborhood, not far from Esplanade Avenue, down to Bayou St. John and within a nice walk in the opposite direction to City Park. It's definitely a "walking" neighborhood... and did I mention ESPLANADE AVENUE??!!

Also allow me to suggest the Faubourg Tremé Section of town - the location of the former Lafitte Housing Project.... yes! I was just ther in September, and this area has MUCH potential. With space and housing presently at a premium, this once thriving area is destined for prosperity, but only those with true vision and an eye for Real Estate can conprehend what I'm saying here. Do not allow yourselves to be swayed by the area's former reputation -- look to the future.

Katrina left much devastation in her wake, but with devastation come a rebirth, and for New Orleans to become reborn, blighted areas must be reborn. N'est Pas?

There are those who'll inform you to "stay away", but, the real estate saavy know that today's ghetto is tomorrow's goldmine. Tremé's location Platinum... perfect location, just 15 minutes from the CBD, Orleans Avenue, I-10 & The Quarter. If you comb the internet regarding that area, you will find it has great historic value and was The City's very first home to the largest comunity of free Blacks in the Deep South during the slavery period; a place where blacks, whites, free blacks all co-habitated to create this extremely colorful section of New Orleans.

Also the internet will offer you a view of what's to come for this area -- The Preservation Society being an integral part of the input. Those who are fortunate enough to get in on the ground floor of this area, will be most pleased with their insight into the future, I do believe. I'll even go as far as suggesting the Lower 9 where property is presently less expensive than it will be int he next 5 to 10 years; just look at what actor Brad Pitt is doing.. I have, and it will continue to improve over the years. Be flexible and don't limit your concerns.

Love, Peace & hair grease.....

Robin504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin504 View Post
Good Day Again:

You are saying "the area doesn't matter", but from what you say you'd like, it appears to me that the are very MUCH matters, as well it should. You're talking about one of the most important decisions following your job and your spouse. Allow me to suggest a site tht I've been mooning over for the past 2 years now [I'm still stuck in NYC, with the dream to return home to N.O. & retire in a beautiful & yes, SAFE area as well -- I too am a woman] The site is: New Orleans Condo Trends by Eric Bouler

Not only is his site visually appealing, the information is very clear as well as substantial. Also, try 1201 Canal Street Condos. That building used to house the former Krauss Department Store which all of us New Orleanians used to patronize and remember with much fondness.

The area that I'd move into, as a single and soon to be older female, would be the Uptown area, the Wareouse District, , Faubourg Marigny, or The Bayou St. John Area. When I went back home to visit, I found that these areas were the least affected by Katrina. As a matter of fact, in my old neighborhood in the 6th Ward of New Orleans, no one would have realize that there was ever a hurricane because it looked so disaafected. That street was North Dupre, between Dumaine & St. Philip; I wouldn't suggest that area, but as things progress, the most depleted areas will begin attracted the eyes of forward thing real estate geniuses. I'd also suggest St. Charles Avenue; I was looking into The St. Charles Condos for a moment just out of curiosity...

I'm not too keen on the prices of rents in the area, seeing as I'm still "serving time" in NYC, but that's the least of your concerns; once you find an area that's suitable, the prices will find you! As a rule and from my personal experience, I'd totally steer clear of the Lower 9th Ward. Though I spent a good portion of my 20's there, it was a different time and place [the 1970's]; not to mention, it is the first place to flood given its geographic location to the Intercoastal Canal. Stay on as much high ground as possible.

Buena Suerta, mi amigo.

~Robin504~

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-16-2012 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or