U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:40 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,153,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
It's the Mississippi River. The manufacturing base has all but vanished in the midwest, and the lifeblood of all the cities on the river has been shipped overseas. Let's look at the "great" cities on the Miss: St. Louis (crap), Memphis (crap), New orleans (crap). The problem is that we don't make anything in this country anymore. What else is left to entice anyone to live in NOLA? Oh yeah.."quality of life". Good luck getting anyone to relocate there in the 21st century information based world.
Here's a pretty uninformed poster...

Lifeblood of New Orleans shipped overseas? What on Earth are you talking about. New Orleans used to be about big oil, and although the main offices are now all in Houston, several regional offices remain in the area, not to mention the refineries. It remains one of the most important ports in the nation, as well as a vital rail link. Not to mention the huge presence of the healthcare industry, or the Nasa Assembly Facility (one of the biggest manufacturing facilities in the world), the Avondale Shipyards, etc.

All you have to do to know people are coming to the New Orleans area is look through the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 PM

430 posts, read 333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
New Orleans downfall was political/social (in which white flight my not have been the direct or major cause, but did play part).
booyahh!!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:32 PM

3,219 posts, read 8,158,199 times
Will NOLA ever regain its glory??

Old 11-29-2009, 02:40 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,799,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Will NOLA ever regain its glory??
First of all , how do you define " glory " ?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:19 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,807,956 times
Heh, glory. Cities always had troubles although the drug outbursts of the 80s really set things back.

Nola is like most major cities, what it REALLY needs is civic engagement and a real leader one that the city can look up to and the suburbanites can't easily through rotten tomatoes at. I know Philly needs one.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:32 AM

19 posts, read 88,504 times
My opinion on this is kind of narrow, being an ex-resident of the French Quarter (Vieux Carre'). I recently (less than a month ago) moved away due to being a victim of a mugging (my second in two years in the Quarter).

I think the in-your-face corruption and inneptitude of the city government is a factor. I have to be at least slightly intoxicated to even watch a city council meeting. The lack of a decent public education system, a strong middle class within the city proper, the thuggish police department, slummy housing, a lack of jobs, and urban decay are all factors.

But, one thing I'm a little surprised to NOT here from natives on this forum is the loss of the local identity. The influx of tourons-become-residents has hurt the town's culture. It's rare to hear people saying "yeah you rite" and "yes indeed" on street corners, bars, and groceries anymore.

And, I don't care how this makes me sound, but BAD urban planning plays a huge role in the violent crime and muggings/pursesnatchings that o

Old 12-06-2009, 06:36 AM

19 posts, read 88,504 times
...occur and a regular, if not constant base in the neighborhood.

Tear down the Iberville, build levees that aren't a joke, and bring back the National Guard for as long as humanly possible.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:51 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,799,773 times
It's not just poor urban planning , demographics plays a huge part .

Old 12-06-2009, 01:02 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,342,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCookieMoses View Post
I think the in-your-face corruption and inneptitude of the city government is a factor. I have to be at least slightly intoxicated to even watch a city council meeting. The lack of a decent public education system, a strong middle class within the city proper
I agree

Quote:
the thuggish police department, slummy housing, a lack of jobs, and urban decay are all factors.
NOPD is nothing like they were 1992-1994, they do have they're problems (mainly within leadership, but thats the problem with everythig around here).

"Slummy", really? I know that there is a large portion of the housing stock that are in bad condition, but there is just as much in good condition. I mean if you prefer the "shiney new" surburban type housing you were welcome to move to Jefferson, the Northshore, or the southern end of BR. I do have to say though, those 100 year old slums held up much much better than the homes im Jefferson and the East during both Katrina and Ike. Urban decay and job issues are all results of the social and political dysfunction of Southeast Louisiana.

Quote:

But, one thing I'm a little surprised to NOT here from natives on this forum is the loss of the local identity. The influx of tourons-become-residents has hurt the town's culture. It's rare to hear people saying "yeah you rite" and "yes indeed" on street corners, bars, and groceries anymore.
Maybe you didn't go far enough away from the Quarter.

Quote:
And, I don't care how this makes me sound, but BAD urban planning plays a huge role in the violent crime and muggings/pursesnatchings that o
Are you saying that we should just bulldoze and segregate the city like most other southern cities so that the crime/muggings/pursnatching will still exist, but will be easier to ignore?

If you knew anything about urban planning, you would know that NOLA is the best planned city in Louisiana and probably the south. The problem is leadership in this city. The City of New Orleans is synonymous with ineptitude. Up until recetly everything was half-assed or just not done at all. Hopefully things will continue to change, but who knows. While on the subject of urban planning take a look at Baton Rouge. A city horrible urban planning and crime issues of it's own, yet it continues to grow and has developed at an amazing rate on the south side. Same can be said for Atlanta or Houston.

Quote:
Tear down the Iberville, build levees that aren't a joke, and bring back the National Guard for as long as humanly possible
I fully agree that many problems spillover from the Iberville, but if HANO, the city, and the state were on their toes the Iberville would not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
It's not just poor urban planning , demographics plays a huge part .
mhmm
You're right, though. Every single demographic out of the hundreds in this city plays a part.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 12-06-2009 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: removed personal attack

Old 12-06-2009, 01:54 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,051,526 times
Yes, urban planning has very little to do with it.
New Orleans mixes commercial and residential which is FAR better than Houston or Atlanta today.
And I like the Council...this is the best Council we've had in forever...especially Stacy Head who has dared to stand against the corrupt system in City Hall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans