U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,219,488 times

Advertisements

It was July 8th 2005 that my girlfriend (now wife) and I went to New Orleans for her birthday. I proposed to her on her birthday. We spent a few days in New Orleans. Before we checked out of the hotel, we went to the hotel's gift shop. We talked to two employees at the gift show. When we told them we were from Lafayette, LA; one of the two said she doesn't like Lafayette "cause it's too country for her" and that she'd never leave New Orleans. That left a sour taste in my mouth for New Orleans. A week after Katrina hit New Orleans I remembered that woman and what she said about Lafayette. I wondered if she stayed behind or was she evacuated to Lafayette and how she felt about Lafayette now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 11:49 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,332,480 times
seriously...?, An opinion left that much of a taste in your mouth?

Old 09-20-2009, 06:15 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,048,583 times
And....?

Your point is what? You had a bad experience with one person and now you are bragging about it why?
(And for the record I wouldn't live in Lafayette either...)

Old 09-20-2009, 09:03 PM

112 posts, read 276,272 times
OP, I think you're taking it too personally...especially for it to bother you 4+ years later.

Without being there and knowing the cashier's tone of voice, to me it doesn't sound any different than saying something like:

I don't like ___ because it's too cold for me.
I don't like ___ because it's too hot for me.
I don't like ___ because it's too big for me.
I don't like ___ because it's too small (err, "country") for me.
I don't like ___ because it's too ____ for me.

And so on...

Old 09-20-2009, 10:48 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,332,480 times
Think about it.. Most people who live in a city consider anything significantly smaller "the country"
New Orleans = Crowded, dense, packed Lafayette = sprawly, spaced, auto friendly
Many from NO would consider BR to be country and definitely Shreveport so what do expect them to say about Lafayette.
When you think about what other city besides NO can be considered not country in LA?

Since the post is about sharing the experience of NOLA why not:

Overall New Orleans has been kind to me. Most of the time I love it to death, many days I hate it with a passion. It's a place that you truly have to love to live and one that if you aren't from here you either understand or you don't. If you are one of those people that the city casts a spell on or if you just come with an open mind or if get New Orleans she'll welcome you with open arms. If you come in with a closed minded outlook she will "send ya ass right where ya came from." The city is old and dirty, but original. If you new and shiny with parking lots head to Baton Rouge or Houston (both nice cities, but just not New Orleans). For the record I'd never leave either unless I had no choice.

I would hate to have grown up anywhere else.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:32 AM

3,031 posts, read 5,389,442 times
Gosh, what an insult..too COUNTRY for her..thats just....awful!
I hope you're feeling much much better Sailor, and have started the arduous process of recovery. I can recommend mint for the sour taste.

I visited Lafayette too, but much preferred New Orleans..oops I'm sorry..you'd better chew that mint again. Gosh I put my big foot in it dont I?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:41 AM

3,031 posts, read 5,389,442 times
But yes, to share the experience..the thrill of seeing the Mississippi for the first time, then actually being on it to get to old Algiers. The people, so friendly and curious. Its where I learnt, really learnt to 'chill' for the first time.
Seeing the ragged edges, at 3am and 3pm. You think you've seen it all, then you see it there. But it's part of the tapestry, not a stain on it.

Tasting flavors for the first time that you'll never forget as long as you live. So thats why food features in so many songs! And those songs..that city runs on music, it's the lifeblood of the place. Sounds cliche, but it really is a gumbo. If you can't find something to like, you just don't like music cher!

Even walking home at 2am through the quieter streets of the Quarter, those gorgeous houses, the atmosphere that rests over you like an exotic blanket, muffling the distant noises, until you get back to Frenchmen or Bourbon St, and that blanket is thrown off by the rebel-rousers.

No, it's not shiny clean like most other places. (thank gawd) But most other places aren't one in a million either. My only regret is that I wasn't born there.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
seriously...?, An opinion left that much of a taste in your mouth?
You had to have heard everything she said about Lafayette and her attitude towards our city and the people there.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Gosh, what an insult..too COUNTRY for her..thats just....awful!
I hope you're feeling much much better Sailor, and have started the arduous process of recovery. I can recommend mint for the sour taste.

I visited Lafayette too, but much preferred New Orleans..oops I'm sorry..you'd better chew that mint again. Gosh I put my big foot in it dont I?
It would take a big mint to take the bad taste of New Orleans out of my mouth. I traveled to over 15 countries while in the Navy and the only other place where I encountered such an attitude was the south of France, another place I vow to never return. Florida, Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Virginia were all places I visited in which I never encountered such an attitude.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 AM

530 posts, read 2,450,673 times
I like Lafayette! Do you feel better now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or