U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,338,913 times

Advertisements

Anybody know any little known facts about NOLA they'd like to share?

Like, did you know that?

-Frenchman St was named for 5 or 6 Frenchman that were hung in Jackson Square

-New Orleans is not flat at all (duh, it's a bowl. A lumpy bowl at that.)

-There is almost nothing French in the city other than last names. (99% of anything original standing is Spanish)

-NOLA has been completely are almost completely washed away and rebuilt from hurricanes 3 times to date. (The first 2 occured 2 years apart).

-The namesake crescent is not the big Uptown bend, but the small bend in front of Jackson Square.

-Almost every street in the city is named after a politician or general.

-English turn got it's name because the English ships gave up and turned around in the turn below Algiers.

As you can clearly see, I'm bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 05:38 PM

104 posts, read 436,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Anybody know any little known facts about NOLA they'd like to share?

Like, did you know that?

-Frenchman St was named for 5 or 6 Frenchman that were hung in Jackson Square

-New Orleans is not flat at all (duh, it's a bowl. A lumpy bowl at that.)

-There is almost nothing French in the city other than last names. (99% of anything original standing is Spanish)

-NOLA has been completely are almost completely washed away and rebuilt from hurricanes 3 times to date. (The first 2 occured 2 years apart).

-The namesake crescent is not the big Uptown bend, but the small bend in front of Jackson Square.

-Almost every street in the city is named after a politician or general.

-English turn got it's name because the English ships gave up and turned around in the turn below Algiers.

As you can clearly see, I'm bored.
good thread, though we might be inviting some urban legends
for example, legend has it that bernard de marigny (of faubourg marigny fame) introduced the dice game of craps here, so-called (according to one theory) because the french "frogs" played it (crapaud=frog in french)

I think I would disagree with the claim that nothing is French in the city but last names. it's true that the language has mostly disappeared and that architecture is spanish (in the quarter; and english up-river), but there is much cultural heritage that is decidedly French--although there too, it is colonial French, with a heavy creole influence--and New Orleans is definitely a creole city.
Do people still say "make their groceries"? that's French
and what about PO-BOYS? they don't make those with Wonder Bread!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,613,846 times
Dick Van Dyke started his career on WDSU channel 6 as a comedian and lived on Press Drive in Gentilly Woods.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,392,652 times
What about the word 'Dixie'? The Citizen's Bank of New Orleans introduced a $10 bill that was apparently much sort after. They were known as 'dixies' b/c the French for ten, 'dix' was written on one side. The word didn't catch on as an all ecompassing term for the South until a song called "Dixie's Land" was written. I think it's the same as what everyone refers to as "Dixie" but don't quote me on that. (The middle name of the songwriter was Decatur, anyone know if that's who the street and town in AL is named after?)

I read something about the origin of the game of craps, but I don't think de Marigny's name came into it, cant remember how the game came about though.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:10 PM

64 posts, read 307,360 times
Tsk, tsk on Frenchmen Street. It was named for the Frenchmen who led the rebellion against Spanish rule of Louisiana: Articles: Spanish Arrive in Louisiana, The: The Transformation from a French to a Spanish Colony - Historical Text Archive

Okay, here's a bit of trivia that I read years ago: all of the wooden "gingerbread" on all the smaller houses in N.O. was made by the same company.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:52 AM

515 posts, read 640,100 times
All the cobblestones on the streets of the Quarters came from ballast mostly from ships coming down the Mississippi. These ships carried first the sugar, then later the cotton, back up the river to various mills.

Much of the "iron lace" used on the balconies (galleries) in the Quarters was imported from Australia in the early 1950s...Australian cities like Sydney and Melbourne were busy tearing down miles of terrace houses, most of which were graced with lots of wrought iron while the Vieux Carre Commission was busily restoring our old buildings.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:04 AM

64 posts, read 307,360 times
I didn't know that about the wrought iron, Meemy. That's a great nugget of information!

Old 09-25-2009, 05:15 PM

530 posts, read 2,451,509 times
The inscription on the base of the statue in Jackson Square was carved by Union soldiers during the Civil War. "The Union Must And Shall Be Preserved" The inscription on the statue was added by General Benjamin Butler, the Union General who was over New Orleans during the Civil War to spite the citizens of New Orleans.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,797,620 times
Benjamin Butler can rot in hell .

Old 09-28-2009, 12:20 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,338,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixaorellana View Post
Tsk, tsk on Frenchmen Street. It was named for the Frenchmen who led the rebellion against Spanish rule of Louisiana: Articles: Spanish Arrive in Louisiana, The: The Transformation from a French to a Spanish Colony - Historical Text Archive

Okay, here's a bit of trivia that I read years ago: all of the wooden "gingerbread" on all the smaller houses in N.O. was made by the same company.
The handfull of Frenchmen who didn't surrender were hung and so on... Now we have Frenchmen St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans