U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 12:50 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,611,088 times

Advertisements

Hubby put on his Old Navy shirt and we waved at her from the levee!
Attached Thumbnails
USS New York-dsc05544.jpg   USS New York-dsc05543.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 01:20 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,389,003 times
You guys probably take it for granted, but those huge ships on a river still gets us hicks down here every time! Rivers down here would barely support a toy battleship! I love the Mississippi...sigh.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:15 PM

Nola.com has a video of the USS New York leaving Nola..it took ages to load, so I didn't put it up here. I didn't realize it was built using steel from the Twin Towers. Personally I think it's a fine tribute. As they said on nola.com, 'from one resilient city to another, bon voyage'.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 PM

You know Jacq, it never really struck me that lots of other people really don't see these big ships like we do. I can't imagine what it would have been like not having grown up standing on the levee waving at them. Thanks for the eye opener.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:42 PM

Location: Virginia, just outside of DC, our crooks are just dressed better than yours.
84 posts, read 278,682 times
One of my favorite memories, is sitting on the levee at the battlefield and watching ships from all over the world pass. I loved to see all the different flags. I'd wonder how long it would take them to get back to where they had come from and what were in all those boxes and crates on deck. The river always made me feel peaceful and small.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Oh I really envy you two, and other New Orleanians, not just for the obvious reasons. You have such an amazing waterway right there on your doorstep, and it's an equalizer. Only the very rich have good harbor views in Sydney, for all the brouhaha that's made about it. And it leads to open ocean, so tankers, though still pretty spectacular, are just..not seen in the same light as NOLA.
Plus, the Mississippi is a working river, very few of those down here. I remember actually thinking 'oh, we should go houseboating on it' a few years back, til some good CD New Orleanians set me right.

I still remember being amazed on Fat Tuesday down at Riverwalk, watching our friends band, with this huuuuuge freighter gliding past in the background. Amazing. People must wonder what outpost of civilzation we're from, gawking and getting thrills like that.

Btw: One week to go!! I still have my at&t sim, with your number on it Drou.

PS: ..and dont get me started on the Ponchatrain!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:10 AM

104 posts, read 435,921 times
one thing I've missed over the years: the fog horns. I'm sure Drou knows what I mean--they can be heard for miles, reminders on a still night that the river is never far away.

my parents went down to the levee to see the USS New York go by; a nice physical connection between NOLA and NYC, that's really a fitting tribute to both great American cities

Old 10-31-2009, 07:46 AM

Ooh I love the fog horns! Sometimes you can hear them from the house and sometimes you can hear that boop, boop, boop, boop, boop, that sounds like the captain is really irritated.

T. do you remember going home and looking up where the flags were from?

Old 11-01-2009, 08:14 AM

Location: Virginia, just outside of DC, our crooks are just dressed better than yours.
84 posts, read 278,682 times
Yep. I still have the Rand-McNally World Atlas Dad gave me for Christmas in 1966. (pre you) I wore that thing out. The world has changed a bit since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans