U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:27 AM

226 posts, read 896,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Yeah I'll second the auto insurance rates. I can barely afford to keep a car right now.
Wait...New Orleans has high car insurance rates? That's sad to know. I moved in Chicago from Maryland. IL is known to have low car insurance rates. Chicago applies to this depending on where you live. My insurance is cheaper here than in MD. $20 cheaper monthly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 23,816 times
Default coming late to the conversation

I am getting in on this a little late, just to let anyone else who may be interested in dog parks or accomodations for dogs...there are several places around the city where dog people get together. In the Quarter there is Cabrini Park located at Dauphine and Barracks. Uptown there is a place along the river on the other side of the zoo called "the fly", a lot of people and dogs there on the weekends. In the Lower Garden District there is Colliseum Square Park. On the north side of City Park there is a brand spankin' new park devoted to mans best friend...state of the art...whatever that means in dog speak. The city in general is very dog friendly, you may stop in any corner bar and find a dog or two snoozing under a stool.
Specifically to the rent pricing, (700-1000)...you can find that in the quarter, but probaly not big enough for you AND a rottweiler and more than likely no sort of yard. Best bets Marigney Triangle, Marigney, Lower Garden District, Uptown.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 PM

12 posts, read 27,263 times
James,

you will be fine here- we moved form fla. in sept. and I do not work in my choosen field, (medical) but I did get a cool part time position that helps me meet people and see the city. "Banquet Server" this weekend I get to work the WWII museum and see celebs. It\'s a lot of fun here and not too much trouble finding a place. Much more laid back than fla.! With your bartending background you will have an abundance of work choices. Just come over here!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,389,806 times
devmike, that is fantastic..I love the WWII Museum! You guys who live in the U.S already are really darn lucky. I wish it was as simple as 'come on over' for us colonials, but we'll see.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,499 times
Thanks for all the replies and info on which areas to look. I have been saving cash and I'm done living in Florida. I'll be scanning classifieds for rentals now and will be taking a trip up to look at rentals, job hunt and possibly transfer to a Chili's if I can't find anything in the service industry quick enough. I'd rather not go back into the corporate chain people mill but a job is a job.

My only question now is where to find a decent, honest rental agent/realtor to aid me in my quest for pet friendl.....large, mumbling pet friendly properties? My plan at this time is to call as many places as I possibly can and set up as many appointments for viewings as I can but if I can save time with a a little "inside information" about who to talk to, then I'll save some money and get there faster. Wink wink, nudge nudge. Know what I'm sayin? In all seriousness, any information at all would be greatly appreciated and thank you all for your replies. I'm really looking forward to moving up there.

James

Old 12-19-2009, 07:37 AM

4 posts, read 23,816 times
Default Realtors

Hi Demtri, in regard to realtors the most reliable and trustworthy ones to speak to would probably be, Moderator cut: sorry, must have 10 posts to make specific recommendations although you will usually pay more going through a realtor. Your best bet would be to peruse craigslist or even check the gambil weekly which is on "The Best of New Orleans" website. If you google " new orleans gambit weekly" it will take you there.
If you are wanting to live in or near the quarter for work the best areas to check out would be...French Quarter, Lower Garden District, Uptown, Mid City, Marigney Triangle, Marigney and the Bywater neighborhoods. You could even check out Algiers Point and Gretna on the West Bank, both are easily accessable to the French Quarter pricing on rentals will be comparable and possibly lower. Mid City, Marigny, and Bywater would be the best bets for something with a yard for the dog. You can also find places in the Lower Garden District and Uptown with yards. Algeirs Point and Gretna will also have houses with yards.
You generally will get a better deal if you rent from the owner, privately owned properties, or someone who manages the property. Usually if you rent dircectly from the owner you have a more personable realtionship and they tend to be lenient when you need them to be, they are more willing to work with you in regard to paying off pet deposits.
Good Luck!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-19-2009 at 10:55 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 10:04 AM

112 posts, read 276,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
Wait...New Orleans has high car insurance rates? That's sad to know. I moved in Chicago from Maryland. IL is known to have low car insurance rates. Chicago applies to this depending on where you live. My insurance is cheaper here than in MD. $20 cheaper monthly.
Yes, NO car insurance is on par with NY and NJ.

At some point within the last year or so, a list came out with car insurance rates. NY, NJ, and LA were in the top 3 spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or