Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:38 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,574 times

Advertisements

I've seen charts that say New Orleans is fairing better than alot of other areas and big cities in terms of employment, but is it really true? How good is the economy there? Is it easy to find a job (especially in comparison to other places)? I'm living in Chicago, can't find a job to save the life of me (literally). After I visited the following places, I was thinking about moving to NYC (where jobs have gotten back to me saying I've been shortlisted, but nothing solid yet) or Miami (despite it's terrible economy, there have been some job offers that also said I was being considered, but again, nothing solid yet), and New Orleans is another option that has opened up because I have my aunt there, but I have not looked for jobs yet. I'm visiting on the 28th and will do so then. So in short, how does it compare to other places? Can I get a job there easily (with no college education right now) and survive alright? If I can get a job there, is it worth living there (lifestyle, work compensation vs. cost of living, etc.), or should I still continue looking in other places? I haven't been there since 2003 before Katrina, and have fond memories. How is the city nowadays? Thanks for any info. Appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,574 times
Wow, really guys, no one can help with this? I'll give rep points, just respond or do something.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 24,573 times
Economy is better here than other places because of the infux of federal money from Katrina. Jobs available, but a lot of people are moving here because of this and so there are now more people in line for the jobs than there once were. More competitive than it used to be, but monetary compensation not going up. So, more people fighting for low paying jobs...although rents have doubled even tripled. With all the negatives it is still doing a lot better than most cities around the country. It also depends on what type career you will be persuing.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,340 times
I am a firm believer that everyone needs to live in New Orleans at some point in their life. Just because. There is a place for everyone in the city. If you can find a decent paying position, by all means try it out for a little while. You'll love it or hate it.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:11 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I am a firm believer that everyone needs to live in New Orleans at some point in their life. Just because. There is a place for everyone in the city. If you can find a decent paying position, by all means try it out for a little while. You'll love it or hate it.
Not in this lifetime . My Mother is from N.O. , and my Father grew up there till the war . I have tons of family there still . I have spent more than enough time there to know that I would NEVER , EVER , want to live there . Sorry . But I can't stand to even visit there . It is most definitely not for everyone .

Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Not in this lifetime . My Mother is from N.O. , and my Father grew up there till the war . I have tons of family there still . I have spent more than enough time there to know that I would NEVER , EVER , want to live there . Sorry . But I can't stand to even visit there . It is most definitely not for everyone .
Did you read my entire post. You will love it or hate it. But it is an experience unlike any other.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:32 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
That I can definitely agree with. You either get New Orleans or you don't.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Did you read my entire post. You will love it or hate it. But it is an experience unlike any other.
Yes , I read your post . You said that everybody needs to live there at some point in their life , and I disagreed . What part of that do I need to explain again ?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:15 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Yes , I read your post . You said that everybody needs to live there at some point in their life , and I disagreed . What part of that do I need to explain again ?
What is it about the place that makes you sick to visit? There are places I feel the same way about, but I'm just curious.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
What is it about the place that makes you sick to visit? There are places I feel the same way about, but I'm just curious.
I really can't put it into words . I am just not comfortable with New Orleans . I have a large number of family members there and have spent time in their homes , in different parts of the city . NONE of the neighborhoods felt like somewhere I would want to call home . Add to that , the traffic , crime , corruption , etc . Nope . Just don't like it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans