Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:20 AM

239 posts, read 596,079 times

Advertisements

I'm moving after 7 years, and I have to say, it really just depends on what you want out of life. NOLA has great food, and of course, great festivals year round. It also has A LOT of crime and poverty.

Furthermore, for someone like me, this really isn't the best place. I'm a very active, outdoorsy type of person. Louisiana just doesn't have the outdoorsy activities that you'll find out West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
I'd say a good thing people are talking about would be... WHO DAT?!! 7-0 Baby!! Every one is grinning today!

(Yes, I really am this annoying.)

Old 11-03-2009, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 20,839 times
It depends on what you mean by "outdoorsy". This is a very bad place to engage in mountain biking or skiing. That would not go well. Southern Louisiana is a great place if you are interested in hunting or fishing. If you want to surf, you'll have to fly to Costa Rica periodically. If you want to sail or boat, Lake Ponchatrain is a good place. The marsh is a beautiful place to canoe or kayak.

There are plenty of outdoor activities in Southern Louisiana but there are plenty that are not available here. That is true of every place.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:56 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
I am Chicago now. Not liking it at all. I moved from Maryland. I miss it. I miss the charm of Charm City (Baltimore). I miss the East Coast. Outside of Chicago, it is still the mid-west. Unappealing site!

What is this New Orleans thing I keep hearing that some people there or have been there miss it, New Orleans "calling them back", what is all this? What's so good about that place. I'm considering a move out of Chicago. This place is average.

Is NO affordable? It should be compared to Chicago or any NE cities. Will car insurance be high in NO?

People always talk about the food in their city. Like Chicagoans talk about how great Chicago Pizza is. It is good, but anyone from Alabama can emulate a Chicago Pizza with the right ingredients/oven/and chef. It has NOTHING to do with regional base at all. Baltimore has crab cakes. Baltimoreans don't brag about it as much as Chicagoans brag about their pizzas. Crab cakes can be packed by Murray's and shipped anywhere, then you fry it. Good food is not based on region. I've seen on this forum some people in New Orleans brag about their food, etc. but what else is really special about NO? Is it the overall atmosphere of the city? The people? Is it the debauchery? The STDs? What is it?
You have one very strong point in your favor about considering New Orleans. Since you miss Baltimore, chances are you were adapted to the climate. If so, you'll handle the weather in New Orleans just fine (although the winter is considerably milder). NOLA has fun stuff going on all year long, even in the summer.

As is mentioned numerous times already, it has some of the tastiest cuisine in the world.

It is also home to numerous genres of music unique to NOLA. It is a very feel-good place, despite the challenges.

If I ever win the lottery, I would definitely buy a home there.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
I'd say a good thing people are talking about would be... WHO DAT?!! 7-0 Baby!! Every one is grinning today!

(Yes, I really am this annoying.)
Make that 8-0 Babeee! WHO DAT!! It really does a lot for morale, I've discovered. There's more to football than meets the eye.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 PM

12 posts, read 29,835 times
Default Whatz sdo good!?!!

Hey!

I moved here recently, Sept with my husband and I love it here! My husband is from Chicago and I grew up about 3 hrs. from there. We both have lived in Fla. and he live here in NOLA for about 8yrs. before I ever came here. Ok let me just tell you, I saw Lenny Kravitz on the spur of the moment, I have seen countless blues musicians...LEGENDS. Dined at the most sought after of restaurants. This weekend I will be hob knobbing with Tom Hanks and the like through my part time work as a banquet server..Best of all?- this town sleeps till 10am. It is a big city town with a southern down home flavor. I came for vacation and fell in love with it! Our house is amazing! What about ourSANINTS!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans